Deep Breath (3401/801)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    The Seventh Doctor said he was 952 long before the Nonth Doctor showed up and said he was 900... I am seriously never going to forgive RTD for that... Anyway, I digress. The point is that there is a gap in the Timewar, but I'm guessing that when you're fighting a war that literally spans all of tie and space, time itself becomes a little meaningless.
    It's almost meaningless to try to work out the Doctor's age; there's just way too many contradictions and competing factors for it to ever work out neatly.

In the original run of the show, you had the odd reference here and there with his age gradually ascending throughout its run--I believe it was something like 450 during Tom Baker's tenure, then as you say 952 during McCoy's. But then, earlier than that, Jon Pertwee's Doctor told Jo that he was "thousands of years old." So, even dialogue in the original run of the show doesn't work out.

Get into prose, and things get more complicated. There's a Seventh Doctor story out there where he's celebrated his 1000th birthday. That's more or less in line with McCoy dialogue, but doesn't line up with either Pertwee or Eccleston. Prose also suggests that the Doctor was 200something at the time he left Gallifrey, so the line "900 years of time and space" from Eccleston would already pass 1100 years.

And then there's also the Big Finish audios--which I hasten to point out were legitimized in the The Night of the Doctor short last year. I can't speak much to the Davison and CBaker stories, but I know at one point in the McGann run, he spends 600 years stuck on a planet. That would put him in the 1500 range, but only if you accept McCoy and ignore both Pertwee and Eccleston.

Fast forward to just recently--the War Doctor novel Engines of War. In it, the Time War last for four centuries from the POV of its players. That alone throws a wrench into the works. Depending on whether or not you accept other prose and audio, that puts him at 1350, 1550, or 1950 years of age at the end of the War Doctor's life--none of which line up with Eccleston/Tennant/Smith/Capaldi, and is in a novel which was only published a few weeks ago!

On top of all that, there's the biggest problem of all: whose "years" are we talking about? Is he talking about Earth years, because that's where the majority of his companions come from? Or is he talking about Gallifrey years, because that's who and what he is? How long is a Gallifreyan year? Longer or shorter than an Earth year? Maybe he's not using Gallifreyan years at all--maybe there's some galactic or universal standard measurement of time with its own definition of a year.

Honestly I think the only explanation that's even remotely satisfactory is that the Doctor simply doesn't know how old he is, and so he just makes a guess.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Someone said upthread that Time Lords are supposed to have control over their regenerations as we witnessed with both Romana and Ten. Romana, intentionally regenerated completing the Key to Time mission. She paraded several forms for the Doctor's opinion before settling on a form identical to Princess Astra. And with Ten he selected his current form during his regeneration during Stolen Earth/Journey's End.

I think the Doctor likes a bit of chaos and simply lets the dice roll whichever way when it comes to regenerations, except during Night of the Doctor where he accepted help from the Sisterhood of Karn.

As to why the Doctor chose this particular face to regenerate into, we may have to torture it out of Moffat.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        It's almost meaningless to try to work out the Doctor's age; there's just way too many contradictions and competing factors for it to ever work out neatly.

In the original run of the show, you had the odd reference here and there with his age gradually ascending throughout its run--I believe it was something like 450 during Tom Baker's tenure, then as you say 952 during McCoy's. But then, earlier than that, Jon Pertwee's Doctor told Jo that he was "thousands of years old." So, even dialogue in the original run of the show doesn't work out.

Get into prose, and things get more complicated. There's a Seventh Doctor story out there where he's celebrated his 1000th birthday. That's more or less in line with McCoy dialogue, but doesn't line up with either Pertwee or Eccleston. Prose also suggests that the Doctor was 200something at the time he left Gallifrey, so the line "900 years of time and space" from Eccleston would already pass 1100 years.

And then there's also the Big Finish audios--which I hasten to point out were legitimized in the The Night of the Doctor short last year. I can't speak much to the Davison and CBaker stories, but I know at one point in the McGann run, he spends 600 years stuck on a planet. That would put him in the 1500 range, but only if you accept McCoy and ignore both Pertwee and Eccleston.

Fast forward to just recently--the War Doctor novel Engines of War. In it, the Time War last for four centuries from the POV of its players. That alone throws a wrench into the works. Depending on whether or not you accept other prose and audio, that puts him at 1350, 1550, or 1950 years of age at the end of the War Doctor's life--none of which line up with Eccleston/Tennant/Smith/Capaldi, and is in a novel which was only published a few weeks ago!

On top of all that, there's the biggest problem of all: whose "years" are we talking about? Is he talking about Earth years, because that's where the majority of his companions come from? Or is he talking about Gallifrey years, because that's who and what he is? How long is a Gallifreyan year? Longer or shorter than an Earth year? Maybe he's not using Gallifreyan years at all--maybe there's some galactic or universal standard measurement of time with its own definition of a year.

Honestly I think the only explanation that's even remotely satisfactory is that the Doctor simply doesn't know how old he is, and so he just makes a guess.
        But not a very educated one.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Still need to get used to Capaldi but when he ripped the fake face off his head and announced himself, you could tell he was definitely the Doctor.

I really hope this isn't Clara's last season. She's the one who truly got me into Doctor Who to begin with.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            No, it's just another cycle.
            Capaldi is basically the First Doctor of the 2nd cycle.
            Are you certain, and, more importantly, HOW do you know?
            sigpic

Comment

Just got home from seeing Deep Breath at the movies, ah what fun! It's a Monday night--so it's both two days after original airing and a work/school night--and yet it was still sold out at the biggest theatre at the cinema. There were lots of people in DW-themed shirts (and ladies in DW dresses), and more than a few people with sonic screwdrivers in the audience.

Bonus: I had a much older gentleman in the row in front of me, who as it turns out is from Liverpool, who said to anyone who asked that he'd been a fan for 50 years. AND he was wearing a Tom Baker scarf for the occasion
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Peter Capaldi IS The Doctor. He owned it totally. I loved how confused and disoriented he was at the beginning. I have high hopes about where this season is going to go.

Some gems I noticed:
                The scarf reference
                wishing the TARDIS had more circle things on the walls
                Eyebrows
                The Doctor liked Amy Pond's legs as much as I did.

There were several more, and I'm going to watch the episode again here soon.

Personally, I can't get enough of the Daleks, although I hated the Manhattan episode.

4 out of 5 jelly babies.
                sigpic
                Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Ach, I'm sick of the Daleks, give us some new enemies to worry about.
                  "I killed you all in the time war, sacrificed my fellow timelords to do it as well, woe is me"

Oh look, a Dalek............

Give them a rest for gods sake, how much cheaper do you want to make the doctors sacrifice??
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Ach, I'm sick of the Daleks, give us some new enemies to worry about.
                    "I killed you all in the time war, sacrificed my fellow timelords to do it as well, woe is me"

Oh look, a Dalek............

Give them a rest for gods sake, how much cheaper do you want to make the doctors sacrifice??
                    Yes, at a philosophical level, that is and always will be the case for nu-Who. But it's also television. And if you ask someone about Doctor Who, they will mentally picture three things: the current (or their favourite) Doctor, the TARDIS and a Dalek. If you saw the "live Q&A" shown in cinemas after Deep Breath, a five year old asked why we see the repeated appearance of old monsters. SM was unrepentant: because they can be as interesting as new ones AND because the fans themselves want them back. Though I'd agree, once PC has had his introductory episode, can they drop them for 20 episode or so please...

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I like a Dalek, or a cyberman, -ON THE ODD OCCASION-, but I just don't want to see a "dalek story" every season.

Stance one: "Oh look, it's a Dalek"

Stance 2: "OMFG, it's a DALEK, HOW did they survive!!!"

They are like seasoning, good and effective in small doses.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

New Seasson, New Theme, New Doctor...!
                        Well done.

Loved the twist towards the end of the episode.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                          I refer you to post #68 in this very thread.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            I refer you to post #68 in this very thread.
                            And I contend that he was referring to THAT particular regeneration, and not a commentary on how much regeneration energy he has available for future use. It did not say that he was using ALL the energy provided by the universe for that one regeneration. It merely was a comment about that particular cycle.

Also, by "cycle" does the Doctor mean ONE regeneration, or the entire "cycle" of twelve regenerations? I seriously doubt that Moffat is planning on coming up with another Duex ex Machina for every new Doctor from here on out. No, far more likely that he's counting on a reset to provide for enough regenerations to last for the foreseeable future.
                            Last edited by Nolamom; 26 August 2014, 01:45 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think it was explaind in an interview or official statement somewhere (don't ask me where). And wasn't it shown in the christmas special itself? But I would have to go back, watching it again, to be sure how much it is explaeind there.
                              Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

And I contend that he was referring to THAT particular regeneration, and not a commentary on how much regeneration energy he has available for future use. It did not say that he was using ALL the energy provided by the universe for that one regeneration. It merely was a comment about that particular cycle.

Also, by "cycle" does the Doctor mean ONE regeneration, or the entire "cycle" of twelve regenerations? I seriously doubt that Moffat is planning on coming up with another Duex ex Machina for every new Doctor from here on out. No, far more likely that he's counting on a reset to provide for enough regenerations to last for the foreseeable future.
                                My understanding is that 1 cycle = 12 regenerations. The Doctor has been given a whole new set of 12 regenerations (like the Master in The Five Doctors).

So we won't have to worry about this again for another 30-40 years, until we get to Doctor No. 24.

Edit - Incidentally, I can think of a few instances where there has been mention of a 12 regeneration limit (one cycle) and then being given another cycle, but no instances of anyone being given unlimited regenerations.
                                Last edited by Blencathra; 26 August 2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X