Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Deep Breath (3401/801)

Just got home from seeing Deep Breath at the movies, ah what fun! It's a Monday night--so it's both two days after original airing and a work/school night--and yet it was still sold out at the biggest theatre at the cinema. There were lots of people in DW-themed shirts (and ladies in DW dresses), and more than a few people with sonic screwdrivers in the audience.

Bonus: I had a much older gentleman in the row in front of me, who as it turns out is from Liverpool, who said to anyone who asked that he'd been a fan for 50 years. AND he was wearing a Tom Baker scarf for the occasion
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Peter Capaldi IS The Doctor. He owned it totally. I loved how confused and disoriented he was at the beginning. I have high hopes about where this season is going to go.

Some gems I noticed:
    The scarf reference
    wishing the TARDIS had more circle things on the walls
    Eyebrows
    The Doctor liked Amy Pond's legs as much as I did.

There were several more, and I'm going to watch the episode again here soon.

Personally, I can't get enough of the Daleks, although I hated the Manhattan episode.

4 out of 5 jelly babies.

Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Ach, I'm sick of the Daleks, give us some new enemies to worry about.
    "I killed you all in the time war, sacrificed my fellow timelords to do it as well, woe is me"

Oh look, a Dalek............

Give them a rest for gods sake, how much cheaper do you want to make the doctors sacrifice??
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    "I killed you all in the time war, sacrificed my fellow timelords to do it as well, woe is me"

Give them a rest for gods sake, how much cheaper do you want to make the doctors sacrifice??
    Yes, at a philosophical level, that is and always will be the case for nu-Who. But it's also television. And if you ask someone about Doctor Who, they will mentally picture three things: the current (or their favourite) Doctor, the TARDIS and a Dalek. If you saw the "live Q&A" shown in cinemas after Deep Breath, a five year old asked why we see the repeated appearance of old monsters. SM was unrepentant: because they can be as interesting as new ones AND because the fans themselves want them back. Though I'd agree, once PC has had his introductory episode, can they drop them for 20 episode or so please...

Don't get me wrong, I like a Dalek, or a cyberman, -ON THE ODD OCCASION-, but I just don't want to see a "dalek story" every season.

Stance one: "Oh look, it's a Dalek"

Stance 2: "OMFG, it's a DALEK, HOW did they survive!!!"

They are like seasoning, good and effective in small doses.

The Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm..!

New Seasson, New Theme, New Doctor...!
    Well done.

Loved the twist towards the end of the episode.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolamom View Post
    Are you certain, and, more importantly, HOW do you know?
    I refer you to post #68 in this very thread.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    I refer you to post #68 in this very thread.
    And I contend that he was referring to THAT particular regeneration, and not a commentary on how much regeneration energy he has available for future use. It did not say that he was using ALL the energy provided by the universe for that one regeneration. It merely was a comment about that particular cycle.

Also, by "cycle" does the Doctor mean ONE regeneration, or the entire "cycle" of twelve regenerations? I seriously doubt that Moffat is planning on coming up with another Duex ex Machina for every new Doctor from here on out. No, far more likely that he's counting on a reset to provide for enough regenerations to last for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Nolamom; August 26th, 2014 at 01:45 AM.

First Lieutenant

Are you certain, and, more importantly, HOW do you know?
    I think it was explaind in an interview or official statement somewhere (don't ask me where). And wasn't it shown in the christmas special itself? But I would have to go back, watching it again, to be sure how much it is explaeind there.
    Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

And I contend that he was referring to THAT particular regeneration, and not a commentary on how much regeneration energy he has available for future use. It did not say that he was using ALL the energy provided by the universe for that one regeneration. It merely was a comment about that particular cycle.

Also, by "cycle" does the Doctor mean ONE regeneration, or the entire "cycle" of twelve regenerations? I seriously doubt that Moffat is planning on coming up with another Duex ex Machina for every new Doctor from here on out. No, far more likely that he's counting on a reset to provide for enough regenerations to last for the foreseeable future.
    My understanding is that 1 cycle = 12 regenerations. The Doctor has been given a whole new set of 12 regenerations (like the Master in The Five Doctors).

So we won't have to worry about this again for another 30-40 years, until we get to Doctor No. 24.

Edit - Incidentally, I can think of a few instances where there has been mention of a 12 regeneration limit (one cycle) and then being given another cycle, but no instances of anyone being given unlimited regenerations.
    Last edited by Blencathra; August 26th, 2014 at 02:31 AM.

I've heard their contract with the Terry Nation State says they have to use the Daleks every season, at least once.
    Besides, they also appeared every season in the Hartnell era and no one complained then.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    My understanding is that 1 cycle = 12 regenerations. The Doctor has been given a whole new set of 12 regenerations (like the Master in The Five Doctors).

So we won't have to worry about this again for another 30-40 years, until we get to Doctor No. 24.

Edit - Incidentally, I can think of a few instances where there has been mention of a 12 regeneration limit (one cycle) and then being given another cycle, but no instances of anyone being given unlimited regenerations.
    *cough* Rassilon *cough*
    "Unlimited perpetual regeneration. True immortality!"
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    I've heard their contract with the Terry Nation State says they have to use the Daleks every season, at least once.
    Besides, they also appeared every season in the Hartnell era and no one complained then.
    Had he locked away a part of himself away because he was so ashamed of breaking his promise?
    That's my problem with having them all the time Rushy, what is the point of what he did?

*cough* Rassilon *cough*
    "Unlimited perpetual regeneration. True immortality!"
    I'm trying to think of a general rule, rather than a one-off.

Colonel

OK what about the ending. Where did the robot dude end up?

Will that tie into the rest of this season, maybe a cross over with the SS Madame De Pompadour?

hmmmmmmmmmm

Jumping right into the conversation about the new Doctor's Age\Appearance of Age.

This is the first regeneration since he remembered the War Doctor so I wonder if that has something to do with him being darker than the last few. Also could be the reason he was able to kill (assuming he pushed).

Also, in regards to why he looks old. I think Madame Vastra answered that question when talking to Clara.

Clara: “He doesn’t look renewed. He looks older.”

Madame Vastra: “But he’s the doctor.”

Clara: “He looked young.”

Madame Vastra: “Who do you think that is for?”

Clara: “Me?”

Madame Vastra: “Everyone. I wear a veil the same as he wears a face. To be accepted.” “I do not wear it (veil) as a courtesy to such people, but as a judgment to the quality of their heart. The Doctor regenerated in your presence. He trusted you. Are you jugding him?”
    The Doctor appears to have some degree of control over his appearance and perhaps he decided that he didn't care about looking youthful. Perhaps there is a task at hand, a "darkness" that he knows he has to face to he felt warranted a more serious appearance for this incarnation.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I recall that it was said somewhere that the Regen Cycle for Time Lords kind of varies from Time Lord to Time Lord. It is affected by the circumstances of what caused it. Like trauma or accidents which kind of affects the "randomness" of the changes.
    But then there are other TL's like the Master who seem to not really vary that much at all.

And that back on Gallifrey the Regenerations are treated like a regular medical procedure. Where it could be controlled and helped to happen more smoothly. Whereas the Doctor is for all intents and purposes for the Doctor it gets handled like pulling a tooth by tying a tring to a door and slamming it.
    I like Sharky

The leak is more serious than I thought.
    There are currently no less than five episodes online for watching. And no, I didn't.
    Still, I wonder what's going on up there... I can just imagine Moffat tearing his hair out. "My spoilers! My beautiful spoilers!!"

Had he locked away a part of himself away because he was so ashamed of breaking his promise?
    That's my problem with having them all the time Rushy, what is the point of what he did?
    He didn't lock away a part of himself, he forgot because of the out-of-whack timelines. The memories he had were what his subconscious presumed to have happened when he had nothing else to go on. Kinda like the First Doctor remembering meeting a dandy and a clown.

First Lieutenant

Well that's fifty years with at least one Dalek every season. At some point people havte to be tiererd of them ;-) I personally still like them (more than the cybermen at least) But I can see, why people are tiered of them. And I agree with the point, that it starts getting lame, defeating all of tehm , and still they come back. But than again, maybe whats exactly what there is about them: You cant get rid of them, they are like some sort of cancer or fungi. You can cut it out, you can destroy it, but you allmost never can compleatly defeat it. There is allways one cell or spore left. And yes sure that is "anoying" .

The leak is more serious than I thought.
    There are currently no less than five episodes online for watching. And no, I didn't.
    Still, I wonder what's going on up there... I can just imagine Moffat tearing his hair out. "My spoilers! My beautiful spoilers!!"
    Damm it, your right. Won't watch it though. I waitet for so long, some more weeks don't matter.
    Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast