• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Breath (3401/801)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    DEEP BREATH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3401 (801)
    The Doctor arrives in Victorian London to find a giant dinosaur in the Thames, and suffers an identity crisis -- while his friends struggle to fight a conspiracy of aliens who are stealing body parts from human beings.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 September 2014, 09:08 PM.

So, is that who put the ad into the paper?

Didn't take long to get used to Capaldi, but looking forward to a more action packed episode.

Comment

The games afoot

Good opener, strong entrance for Capaldi, more importantly, who was the woman at the end calling herself his "girlfriend?"

Good spoilers to be revealed hopefully

N.C

Comment

Liking the new ambiguity in regards to what this incarnation of The Doctor is really capable of, did he push and commit murder or did the droid kill itself. Also liked that they seem to have written in a reason for The Doctor taking on the face of Caecilius beyond "multi-spacial genetic multiplicity" that was used to explain Gwen's actress playing a Who and later Torchwood role.

Not sure I'm liking another unexplained character, first being Tasha Lem and now Missy. Think they could have put a bit more effort into the fight scene towards the end though.

Strax was as always great to watch. Saw that newspaper bit coming though, but still enjoyable because of the impact angle.

What I really didn't like was the Matt Smith scene. The Doctor knew had no regenerations left, so calling a future version of Clara made sense to an extent to make sure she was okay. Knowing that he would in fact regenerate takes away a bit of what really happened to him. If they had intended for that scene to happen before he flash regenerated then would have been okay, but I think Moffet is once again doing something because it would be cool (and it was, really enjoyed seeing Smith) and not thinking it out fully.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Liking the new ambiguity in regards to what this incarnation of The Doctor is really capable of, did he push and commit murder or did the droid kill itself. Also liked that they seem to have written in a reason for The Doctor taking on the face of Caecilius beyond "multi-spacial genetic multiplicity" that was used to explain Gwen's actress playing a Who and later Torchwood role.

Not sure I'm liking another unexplained character, first being Tasha Lem and now Missy. Think they could have put a bit more effort into the fight scene towards the end though.

Strax was as always great to watch. Saw that newspaper bit coming though, but still enjoyable because of the impact angle.

What I really didn't like was the Matt Smith scene. The Doctor knew had no regenerations left, so calling a future version of Clara made sense to an extent to make sure she was okay. Knowing that he would in fact regenerate takes away a bit of what really happened to him. If they had intended for that scene to happen before he flash regenerated then would have been okay, but I think Moffet is once again doing something because it would be cool (and it was, really enjoyed seeing Smith) and not thinking it out fully.
          By the time he called Clara he already knew he was going to regenerate. He already had. His body was just resetting before he made the final change.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Loved the business with Madam Vastra's "sonic hat pin". MIP-MIP!

And Cardiff doubling for Glasgow at the end. Mind you, there is an old Police Box in Buchanan Street.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Well, according to what's been released, the lady at the end is called
              Spoiler:
              The Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere, and will appear in the finale, so maybe we will be teased with her like Madam Kovarian

Looks like this will be the overarching story though for the season, but Moffat has said the whole season long story thing will be toned down...

Comment

I really enjoyed that.

First impressions are that I think PC is going to be fantastic.

I think there were a LOT of elements of 1970's Who in that, the pace was slower, there was more talking and it had that gothic feel that reminds me very much of the 4th Doctor era, particularly The Talons of Weng Chiang. I can see also why Steven Moffat said this episode would be like Robot, with the usual cast acting the same and the Doctor behaving in a completely insane manner. Also didn't Madam Vastra get one of the Brigadier's lines?

I liked Clara a lot better this episode, her personality is getting stronger and more defined. She's not so bland.

I also love the new ambiguity with regard to the 12th Doctor. Did he push the droid off?

Right, now I'm off to watch it again.
                Last edited by Blencathra; 24 August 2014, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  By the time he called Clara he already knew he was going to regenerate. He already had. His body was just resetting before he made the final change.
                  I'll need to re-watch the episode, but I am not sure he'd already been given his regeneration. I thought it was when he sent her home. I should be able to double check, it was iPlayer last night.

Edit: Skipped ahead, you were correct. I was seriously remembering the end of the episode wrong. Makes a lot more sense now.
                  Last edited by SaberBlade; 23 August 2014, 12:42 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                    The games afoot

Good opener, strong entrance for Capaldi, more importantly, who was the woman at the end calling herself his "girlfriend?"

Good spoilers to be revealed hopefully

N.C
                    *has a theory*

*beginning of rambling nonsense*

All through the episode The Doctor and Clara's conversations were in the wrong order.. "How long can you hold your breath?" Then a few scenes later she found out.. The woman at the end called The Doctor her boyfriend.. and then The Doctor told Clara in no uncertain terms he's not..

And at the beginning he said he didn't like how she changed..

But Clara probably can't regenerate so I'm probably completely wrong

The woman in the shop and whoever placed the ad are probably the same person, most likely the woman at the end.. Clara would recognise her future self, right?

*end of rambling nonsense*

The slower pace and more talking worked well.. much better than the shouting and running, get through as much as possible as fast as possible episodes.. And Strax is always great to watch

Comment

OK...

1. The Doctor was clearly a few pepperonis short of a pizza so he may not have been certain of anything regarding "changing".

2. Of all the things to call back to...the Madame de Pompadour...

3. "YOur friend is intelligent, he will not follow me..." He is also mad...

4. What in ten hells was that at the end?

Interesting...but the new Doc will take a bit of getting used to personality-wise...
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I'm.... I'm unsure.

It was enjoyable... yes... but I didn't come away with a manic buzz like I usually do. It definitely IS more Classic Who, and I LOVE Classic Who... but Capaldi still needs to sell me his version of the Doctor... He hasn't won me over quite as quickly as Smith did in The Eleventh Hour...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I liked it, bit odd at first but great. I forgot about Matt Smith after about five minutes.

Comment

Matt Smith was all quirky and likeable right from the start, fishfingers and custard, anyone? ..Capaldi's Doctor jumped straight into the mystery of why he looks the way he does.. and doesn't seem interested if people like him or not.. Apparently abandoning Clara and maybe pushing the Droid.. a darker version of The Doctor?

And it's definitely more like classic Who This week.. lets see if they can keep it going

Comment

I agree about the Gothic feel of it all, but there's something missing from the story, a spark of something.
                              Now, remember guys, it took Patrick Troughton four stories to get his character right, so I'm entirely optimistic about Capaldi pinning down what he's gonna be like. Personally, I think he's unlike any Doctor we've had so far. I liked the scene where he drew on the floor, very reminiscent of Farscape.

There are some very odd titles this season... Deep Breath? Into The Dalek?

Matt Smith's cameo was lovely, but also entirely unnecessary. His final speech was sickeningly fan-comforting enough, having him literally tell Clara that he's the new boss and to treat him gently was ridiculous.

The new Doctor should stand on his own. After three regenerations already, the audience doesn't need this. And when they did, they were told two words: "cheating death". And they knew.

And what was up with the dinosaur?
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X