This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sgu

I just finished watching SGU for I think the fifth time now.
    What can I say, I'm a space time stargate traveling sci-fi junky.

Each time I watch one of my canceled tv shows.
    I can't help but think about how inept the rating system is.
    Or maybe I just need to blame someone or something for taking away something I like.
    Does anyone else get the feeling everything you like gets canceled?
    Yet we can't seem to have enough law and order shows.

They say that you should clear your mind of emotion before voicing an opinion.
    Sorry about that.

They left so many unfinished stories, I feel like they should have made at least one movie.
    Hell, Ginn and Amanda Perry are still quarantined in destiny's computer.
    You would think Rush or Eli would have consulted them or even let them out to work with Eli to get the last stasis pod working.

Well I've calmed down a bit and feeling kind of silly for writing this.
    Anyone know a good sci-fi show?

rick95

as good as Stargate? Dr. Who is pretty good but, I have yet to like any other sci fi as much as I've liked Stargate

SGU was hard to watch for me as it seemed like they were trying to attract the BSG fans with the filming style and intense rivalries but, it was starting to get better when they canceled it

Yes, I do get that feeling. with Video games too. for example City of Heroes was a great online game with a fantastic community but, that got canceled in its prime too... all very depressing really.

Comment

To be fair, City of Heroes ran for like eight years. In video game lifetimes, that's practically an eternity.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm with you.... I'm in the midst of an SGU rewatch right now and I do really think it was starting to become a great addition to the stargate family. I wish SyFy would stop with the Ghost Hunter bull**** and produce another decent space adventure show.

Comment

Ghost Hunter/Monster Hunter/UFO Hunter type shows cost nothing to make. A camera crew and a few confused actors/"experts" running around in the dark jumping at their own shadows for some reason attracts more viewers than scripted drama.. And with virtually no risk of losing money, so from their point of view there's no reason to make anything else..

Comment

Personally I find blaming the ratings system or the network is a scapegoat fans use to justify why what they love did not make it
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I completely agree with you rick95. The really good stuff never last on tv. Now I know there's lots of argument about what's good, but shows that are considered good and have a long run on tv are often compromised to keep them on.
              sigpic

Comment

Doctor Who is pretty much the only genuinely decent sci-fi on air right now. But it's not very hardcore and dark. Don't get me wrong, I frigging love Who(fav sci-fi show ever), but I think something dark should be there to balance things out. SGU was brilliant. A bit confused, but then again, if TNG had been cancelled after Season 2...
                that's the kind of potential they threw away.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

SGU was probably going to be the best SG series ever if it would get a chance to go on. I re-watched it again recently and let's just say I'm very interested to know what would happen next.

But what's done, it's done.

Here's how would I continue the story, now after I re-re-watched the series:
                  We find out that Eli has managed to fix the last stasis pod and go into hibernation, however, Destiny ends up running out of power completely right before it reaches the end of the void. However, the ship still pulls the last inches of power to wake Eli up while still trying to keep everyone in the pods alive, so Eli is forced to use whatever power is left in the Shuttle to keep Destiny's engines running and the ship barely makes it across the void to the next Galaxy, where it manages to re-energize itself once again before the Drones intercept it again.

Comment

Babylon 5 was a brilliant tv show. It's what you get when a writer who cares about the product and does all he can to prevent others meddling. Once you get past season 1 it became incredible in my opinion.

I imagine that the five year overarching plot was what SGU could have been.

Comment

I like SGU and I think the ratings were low because of the first series. It was just rubbish..well most of it was.

They spent far too much time doing flashback stories and bouncing back and forth to Earth which kind of ruined the atmosphere and "situation" of the show. It was meant to be about a miss-matched group of people escaping the planets destruction by going through the gate and ending up stranded millions of light years from home on a rusty old ship, a ship they can't immediately control and have no way of getting back home. The communication stones kind of ruined the idea of being completely stranded and the crew weren't as stressed, desperate and home sick as they should have been.

All the flashbacks they could have done in a single episode, have the crew sat around a table discussing what their lives were like before they ended up in this situation, show flashback footage...job done.

SGU needed a lot more off-world (or off-ship) exploration and I'm sure a lot of the planets would have supported life but we never really saw anyone. They needed stories where they met other races and possibly negotiated for resources like food, water and parts to fix Destiny etc.

I just hope the show continues some how in some form because I really want to know what the end "plot" was for the show, what the signal was etc, we do need closure on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X