Prose VS Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prose VS Script

I can't help but notice a majority if not all the fan created stargate series are all in script form and I've talked to several people who prefer scripts. So, I'm curious. Which do you prefer, story-form or script-form and why?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

I don't care for script style, which contributes to why I don't read the continuation series. I find it distracting and lacking in sufficient description. If I were performing aloud, it would be different, but I'm not.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      I don't care for script style, which contributes to why I don't read the continuation series. I find it distracting and lacking in sufficient description. If I were performing aloud, it would be different, but I'm not.

Seaboe
      Yeah, I prefer story-form too because of the flow and its ability to suck me in. I'm wondering because I'm writing my own and wondering if turning into a script would get more views/readers.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Atlantis Rising is written in prose, and that's the way I like it best. It's like viewing the episode with words. Script style omits a lot and leaves much more to the imagination, I imagine. The only script I've seen up close are two actual Stargate scripts (one of SG1 & one of SGA) by which you can accurately guess that I don't actually read anything written script-style.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Script is just too much of a rough draft for my taste. If I was filming, a script is ideal since it gives the actors the ability to guess how the story will proceed. But for a fan that wants to read stories in that universe.....book form is better and much more able to express new concepts and ideas.
          sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Definitely story. I don't care to read fanfic stories written in script form.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Gotta be script all the way; they just leave you so much room to imagine specific details, but they also feel more like the real show for me.

Oops, just resurrected a very old thread...
              Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
              Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
              Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

Originally posted by Stargatefan99 View Post
                Gotta be script all the way; they just leave you so much room to imagine specific details, but they also feel more like the real show for me.
                I think it just feels like a lazy way to write a story. Not everyone's gifted with an active imagination and some people really benefit from prose.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Stargatefan99 View Post
                  Oops, just resurrected a very old thread...
                  You say that like it's a bad thing.

My problem with script format is that it's distracting. You don't end up with a sense of setting, and the stage directions are intrusive.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    You say that like it's a bad thing.

My problem with script format is that it's distracting. You don't end up with a sense of setting, and the stage directions are intrusive.

Seaboe
                    Fair enough, but for me I find it less distracting, as if I take my time I can read it so that it feels like it matches the length of an episode. For me, it just feels more like the show, although I do love prose fiction as well. I guess we all just have different preferences
                    Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
                    Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
                    Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

Working...
                    X