Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie might be coming in the near future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5 Movie might be coming in the near future.

Confirmation has come down the pipeline that J. Michael Straczynski mentioned during his spotlight panel at Comic Con 2014 that he will be writing a Babylon 5 movie in 2015. He will give Warner Brothers the first shot at making it, but if they pass he will seek funding on his own. This does not guarantee in anyway that this project will ever be more than a script, but WOOOOO-HOOOOO ! ! ! it is something.

Would this be a theatrical movie, or another TV movie? Or is that even certain at this point?
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

That would be fantastic. So starved for good sci-fi.

Comment

Everything is total speculation right now. Still waiting for a video of his spotlight panel to be posted and more detailed info to be released. My guess is that the goal is a theatrical release with a straight to digital and disc release being a second option.

As we all know JMS does not own the television rights to B5, but he does own the movie rights. If WB doesn't decide to be involved with the project I think his only option might be to do something more independent. I am sure another major studio might be willing to come on board with him, but I feel WB would make more of a legal stink over it if they do. So he'll have to find private investors or smaller Studios to help. Hopefully WB will be smart enough to take on most if not all of what he wants. If they don't I am equally sure he will be able to find plenty of funding from other sources around the world.

I am only certain of two things - 1. JMS has promised new material is coming in at least script form and 2. We are going to have lots of speculation over the next year or two.

The main point is that JMS has promised NEW BABYLON 5 MATERIAL. We don't know what, reboot - continuation, and he may not know either, but something is coming and that makes me happy . . . as long as it isn't another Babylon 5 ghost story.

Comment

Okay that didn't take long. I just read confirmation that JMS says it will be a reboot that will attempt to find small places for some original cast members in other roles. And apparently he knows already that if WB doesn't back it then he is on his own and will produce it through Studio JMS. So there will be a new Babylon 5 Universe. I have very mixed feelings about this, but at least it will be from the mind of the creator of the original Babylon 5 Universe.

Comment

A reboot? Well, that's disappointing. Oh well, at least it's something!

Comment

A reboot! Hmmmm...to be fair a reasonable chunk of the cast have left this reality but surely there's room for stuff set further in the future of that universe!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Reboot... Ugly word.

On the other hand, I can't see a complete reboot being done. I imagine it would be rather difficult to retell the entire 5-year story of Babylon 5 in a movie, or even a series of movies.

I guess we'll have to wait for additional details.
                sigpic
                "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:

Comment

I shake my head a little at a reboot, but at least it is a reboot by the creator. That helps a lot. I feel we'll get something different, but similar so I am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    I shake my head a little at a reboot, but at least it is a reboot by the creator. That helps a lot. I feel we'll get something different, but similar so I am happy.
                    This I agree with.
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with this as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Then we're all agreed.

Wooooooo! JMS is promising some big things on Facebook. Trying to contain my expectations as much as possible, but WOW!

He mentioned possibly finding roles for original cast members. Here are people I would like to see play villains. I tried to exclude anyone who even remotely came close to playing a villain in the original series.

1. Mira Furlan
                        2. Bruce Boxleitner, though he was kind of villainous to certain characters - I am looking at Lyta.
                        3. Jason Carter
                        4. Stephen Furst, though I doubt he would do it since he seems to have put acting behind him and is only focused on Directing.
                        5. Claudia Christian
                        6. Julie Caitlin Brown
                        7. Tracy Scoggins
                        8. Bruce McGill

Okay I won't go into guest stars.

Comment

2. Bruce Boxleitner, though he was kind of villainous to certain characters - I am looking at Lyta.
                          Bruce also had a chance to play a villainous version of Sheridan in 2762 segment of "Deconstruction of Falling Stars".

Actually, I would be very interested in seeing a movie set in during that time period.
                          sigpic

My Books:

Comment

Can you link some of these articles? Maybe pop in some quotes of the highlights?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              Can you link some of these articles? Maybe pop in some quotes of the highlights?
                              Here is a link to audio of the whole JMS Spotlight Panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx02FBuKih8

And here is a link to his Facebook page. (Look at the July 28th post for some clarification from the source.)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-...39652459402959

Comment

Working...
                              X