Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie might be coming in the near future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reboot?

Well, count me out.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Its been so long since B5 has been on TV ill take anything

its hard to think that there is a generation now that has not seen B5

Comment

I would normally have my reservations on reboots of universes I love, especially B5. But since its JMS who will be at the helm I think it could be a good thing for the franchise. If JMS plays his cards right it could rejuvenate B5 for a new generation of Scifi fans.

As has been pointed out, it would be difficult to retell the series in a single film or series of films. B5's story was expansive, spanning half a galaxy and involving many supporting characters. It could be done like the Harry Potter film series (where there were 8 movies), but that would necessitate the cutting out of some plot-lines and supporting characters (I suspect the Telepath story arc from Season 5 would be one of the main casualties) to maintain a coherent narrative throughout the films.

Since it's going to be a reboot, JMS could also take it in a different direction from the series. Or maybe make this movie a stand alone film set in the same universe. I would love to see a big screen remake of In The Beginning. In fact, a remake of In The Beginning would be a good introduction for newbies into the B5 universe as the audience would be shown the origins and purpose of the station from the get-go in the form of a human vs aliens action/adventure story.

Whatever direction JMS decides to take his reboot, I'll be looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Traianus Augustus View Post
          Whatever direction JMS decides to take his reboot, I'll be looking forward to it.
          Yep. It will be great to see what he comes up with. Just think of what he can do now that he couldn't get away with back then. Couple that with taking it to the big screen and there is no telling what we're going to get. I just wish it weren't so far away . . . . .

Comment

Nice, I am on season 4 of babylon 5 now and I think it's a great show
            sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

Originally posted by TheAtlantia View Post
              I think it's a great show
              I think it is a great show too. I am currently on episode of 11 of Season 5, but this isn't my first time through. TheAtlantia are you following the JMS Viewing Order?

http://freebabylon5.com/jumppoint/b5tv/

Comment

Having recently started watching the series again I can definitely see a reboot working.

Ideally it'd be a 100 episode, 10 season arc on HBO with Straczynski at the helm. HBO is the only place I can see it working.

Comment

Unfortunately JMS would have to convince Warner Brothers to do that and they don't seem too interested . . . yet. The only way JMS can do a reboot on his own is with a feature film. Unfortunately he just announced at SDCC 2016 that he is not ready to move forward with the project because he currently thinks he can only raise about sixty million for a budget on his own. He believes he'll eventually get to his one hundred million dollar goal, but it will take more time and more success. I think Sense 8 just hasn't done as well as they hoped, but it does have a second season coming. Plus he mentioned some health problems that are causing him to re-think what he is working on, though it only sounds like he is pulling away from comics not movies and TV.

Comment

Originally posted by somme View Post
                    Ideally it'd be a 100 episode, 10 season arc on HBO with Straczynski at the helm. HBO is the only place I can see it working.
                    That would never, ever happen. Unfortunately, we live in a place called reality.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      That would never, ever happen. Unfortunately, we live in a place called reality.
                      Charming.

Comment

Yeah okay, after re-reading that I can see how that might've come off as rude.

I'm sorry. That's not how I meant it.

I wish we could see a B5 with a budget and production quality like that of HBO or Starz or AMC. But realistically, there's just no chance it would ever happen. It's a 20-year-old TV series that has a loyal but quite small following. And, as much as I'm grateful for JMS's work, his TV resume is really pretty sparse.

It would be really cool, but it just won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X