Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Season 2 is better than Season 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come Season 2 is better than Season 1?

I mean it's good but why couldn't they have done this in the first season and made a good show?

Season 1 feels like a whole other show... Why wasn't it as good as the current season?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Because fans just "whinge", heaven help that we could actually provide constructive criticism.

Oh, hang on, it happens all the time, but douchebags who get paid think they actually know better.

Defiance is hardly unique here.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

because making a show is a creative process involving hundreds of people who all have a tiny influence on what's on screen. In the first season, it takes quite a few episodes to figure out what works. Except, they're not synchronously filmed so it's a mess of filming, scripting and cutting during production. At the end of a season, the people at the top can actually see the grand picture, know what worked, what didn't. Then they can work on that top-down, passing along the advice and ideas. The actors know better how to be their character, the director knows better how the scene will play out, etc.

It's simply not a linear process that can be easily influenced, it's only between seasons that the time and opportunity exists for reflection.

Comment

Yeah, comparing a first season to others rarely goes well. Shows, for the most part, get better as they go.

Also remember that Defiance is transmedia so you may be getting more enjoyment if you played, or at least followed, the game.

Comment

DS9 and Babylon 5 would have been cancelled if they came out in today's age, season 1 of ds9 was especially bad, but both shows turned out quite amazingly imo

i'm not saying defiance is going to go down the same route, just that it takes time for some shows to find there footing, not every show can be like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead where there instant classics
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
            DS9 and Babylon 5 would have been cancelled if they came out in today's age, season 1 of ds9 was especially bad, but both shows turned out quite amazingly imo

i'm not saying defiance is going to go down the same route, just that it takes time for some shows to find there footing, not every show can be like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead where there instant classics
            No it wouldn't The concept that that networks more readily cancel tv shows these days is a myth. Being a syndicated show might be a problem these days
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              No it wouldn't The concept that that networks more readily cancel tv shows these days is a myth. Being a syndicated show might be a problem these days
              Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                Why is that?
                Because we simply don't remember the shows we were not interested in that don't last more than half or even 1 season. For every one show that gets a second season, 10 or more only last one. Syndicated shows off the bat (first run syndication) require more co-operation than may be possible these days when you consider just how much competition is out there, not just in terms of TV, but everything else that demands our time.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Because we simply don't remember the shows we were not interested in that don't last more than half or even 1 season. For every one show that gets a second season, 10 or more only last one. Syndicated shows off the bat (first run syndication) require more co-operation than may be possible these days when you consider just how much competition is out there, not just in terms of TV, but everything else that demands our time.

Ah OK thanks for the detailed answer.

Comment

Most shows that grow and do well get better during the first few seasons. This is a good thing! Shows that get worse after the 1st season usually get cancelled.
                    sigpic

Comment

Because First Seasons are ruled too much by the network. Sometimes that leads to holding back. Second Season can have more of a free for all feel to it sometimes.
                      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Have ratings gone up, down or held steady?
                        sigpic

Comment

I actually prefered season 1 to season 2 so far. Season 2 has been pretty boring and uninteresting so far, I don't think I watch an episode yet where I haven't pause it go and do something else.

Season 1 had more variety of stories and less Castihans and their religious and family traditions bull****. An you can see that Season 2 was given a smaller budget, even Defiance the town is less interesting in season 2 than season 1.

An it seems the audience agree with me, ratings have fallen since last season.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/de...ratings-32932/

Season 1 average was 0.7, season 2 0.49 and gone as low as 0.39, or in other word firmly in the territory of being cancelled. An if season 2 keep going the way it is, it deserve to be.

An Syfy is looking for a instant hit show not a show that drop in viewers every season.
                          Last edited by knowles2; 05 October 2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Yet they do have plans for season 3 and 4...... And 4 will take us back into space.

Comment

Working...
                            X