No announcement yet.

Destiny's Start Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes wonder whether the writers really put a lot of thoughts into their numbers. All dates they give (for whatever series) are extremely high. Like millions of years too high to fit into anything we know about biology (on earth), considering mutation rate and evolution. Maybe it's better not to think too hard about it!

thekillman, do you have any links or other information to share about what the writers discussed about SGU before the series?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
      I sometimes wonder whether the writers really put a lot of thoughts into their numbers. All dates they give (for whatever series) are extremely high. Like millions of years too high to fit into anything we know about biology (on earth), considering mutation rate and evolution. Maybe it's better not to think too hard about it!

thekillman, do you have any links or other information to share about what the writers discussed about SGU before the series?
      it's mostly in the SGU section on GW, you can find a lot in the "news" section as parts of it were revealed

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
        I re-watched Air part 1 - 3 and I had a thought: Since Destiny's start point is in the Milky Way Galaxy, maybe there is some planet out there that has some remnants of where Destiny was built.
        I had thought of an interesting idea
        According to Stargate, the legend is, that Ra brought the stargate with him, i.e. that stargate came from a different planet, hence the point of origin symbol was originally the symbol for a different planet.....maybe Destiny was created and launched from a different planet, the same planet that the stargate was later taken from by Ra, and then placed on earth.....atleast that was the thought

Comment

It's not about the symbol, it's about what it represents. Same Point of Origin, different picture. Destiny was intended to be dialled from Earth/using Earth's Point of Origin.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Melbol Of Worlds View Post
            I had thought of an interesting idea
            According to Stargate, the legend is, that Ra brought the stargate with him, i.e. that stargate came from a different planet, hence the point of origin symbol was originally the symbol for a different planet.....maybe Destiny was created and launched from a different planet, the same planet that the stargate was later taken from by Ra, and then placed on earth.....atleast that was the thought
            I often wondered if Ra had more to do with the ancients than we were ever knew. How would he know about the stargates if there was not one already on earth? Where did the Goa'uld come from? Where did Ra get his space ship? The Goa'uld space station looked like a rather old facility too.. almost like a seed ship launch station / communications node.

For all we know, Ra may well have been planted on earth by the Ancients in order to fulfill some self fulfilling time line prophecy.. eg.. their own creation by our future generations who travel back in time and become the ancients.

Yeah.. thats a brain bender lol.

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
            If I would be given the chance to write the series, I would have revealed that the ship lied to Rush because he was an ass to everyone from the start and that Young and the others were right the whole time - getting home is the only way to complete the mission. So they dial the planet and go home from there.
            So the ship destiny was apparently launched for nothing? - Travelling across thousands of galaxies just so that they could gate on to it and then gate back? What about the background radiation and the sign of intelligence thing?

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            The reason Destiny was abandoned because of Ascension, and that predated Atlantis too.
            Can you provide a link to this from the producers that backs it up?

Reason I ask is that i fail to see why the ancients would launch a ship to explore the universe chasing around after some cosmic background radiation thing in order to discover how to ascend. That just doesn't seem like a logical link.

Now admittedly as I understood it, rush was suggesting some sort of intelligence near the creation of the universe itself and perhaps THAT is the link to ascension that they were chasing.

Either way that poses another question.. Did the ancients ascend and find that they were not the first? - Are the rules of ascension infact upheld by another alien race above the ancients on the planes of existence? (that would make sense as to why they refuse to help or get involved in other races problems - something they never had problems with when descended hence their weapons etc).

Food for thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
              I often wondered if Ra had more to do with the ancients than we were ever knew. How would he know about the stargates if there was not one already on earth? Where did the Goa'uld come from? Where did Ra get his space ship? The Goa'uld space station looked like a rather old facility too.. almost like a seed ship launch station / communications node.
              The Goa'uld came from P3X-888 (The First Ones), a planet with a Stargate. The Goa'uld did some exploring, appropriated some technology they found and built ships and assorted stuff. Ra came to Earth by ship.

The Goa'uld space station was consistent in design with Goa'uld technology, not Destiny-era Ancient technology.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Can you provide a link to this from the producers that backs it up?
                From: http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...tml#production

"... Stargate Universe, the idea of it, is that it is set on a ship that was part of an Ancient experiment that was set in motion probably millions of years ago. One that they never saw to fruition but that we can. They got a little busy with the whole ascension thing.

"Their goal for the creation of this experiment, which is to send a ship literally across the universe, and to send one ahead of it seeding the galaxies that they encounter with Stargates. And that they would one day use the ninth chevron to get there, and that's what Stargate Universe is."
                (Series co-creator Brad Wright, in an exclusive interview with GateWorld)
                With the source: http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...e_part_2.shtml

Comment

Ah... right.. so it was abandoned BECAUSE they ascended.. but the destiny mission wasn't ABOUT ascension which is what i thought was being suggested.

So what was the mission then? - This has been really annoying me lol

Comment

Ah... right.. so it was abandoned BECAUSE they ascended.. but the destiny mission wasn't ABOUT ascension which is what i thought was being suggested.

The mission was revealed in "The Greater Good" (07x02). It was to gather information about the background radiation which shows some kind of a pattern. Destiny was launched by the Ancients long before ascension was a theme to solve this puzzle.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
                      Maybe or maybe not for Earth being the build site. simply, the Gates were programed to only accept Earth as the point of origin. Now that I think about it, the POO they have been using is wrong because that was off the Gate Ra brought to Earth, not the origin Gate The Ancients put here..............
                      Actually neither the Alpha nor the Beta gate's point of origin symbol shouldn't be on the Icarus Stargate in the first place...
                      That part of the pilot doesn't make any sense. Each Point of Origin symbols are unique to the planet's Stargate & DHD.

Comment

I always thought of the gate symbols as a cosmetic thing. Like a web address is just a user friendly front to the underlying web site IP. Same principle for the gate symbols, simple recognizable pattern for an underlying mathematical calculation to a specific point in space.

The point of origin on the stargate Ra brought with him to earth was different than the Antarctic (original) gate. Sure the POO is different on the face but the underlying equation is the same. The 9th chevron being an actual lock with earth's POO as the key.

Similar to how Janus locked out the gate on Atlantis to only earths POO.

As for Destiny's starting location. It was Earth since that was at the time the capital of the Alteran society.

The remains of a possible facility being found is impossible since the ancients always did a good job at cleaning up. Only city that was left behind in the milky way was one that they were working on right before the plague hit and they hitched a ride to pegasus.

Comment

Destiny's original mission was to understand and explain the pattern in cosmic backround radiation, a pattern that shouldn't be there according to anything we know about the origins of the universe.

Comment

I often wondered if Ra had more to do with the ancients than we were ever knew. How would he know about the stargates if there was not one already on earth?
                            There already was a Stargate on earth, but that one was in an ice cave at the South Pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Szaby59 View Post
                              Actually neither the Alpha nor the Beta gate's point of origin symbol shouldn't be on the Icarus Stargate in the first place...
                              That part of the pilot doesn't make any sense. Each Point of Origin symbols are unique to the planet's Stargate & DHD.
                              Theoretically that's true, but since the Icarus gate is dialed in the same manner as Earth's (that is, manually via an Earth computer) we could technically input whatever coordinates we want through that interface. My guess is that since the ninth chevron determines it to be a code rather than an address, entering Earths' POO becomes possible regardless of the gates location.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                It was clearly shown that Destiny was built before the plague. The whole leaving for Pegasus was to escape the plague. If Destiny is older than the Atlantis technology then it has to be before the plague
                                This is of course assuming that the ancients themselves didn't have a slight glitch with a wormhole and time travel.

It's quite possible that they travelled forwards in time from their early MW years to a point where Atlantis had left for the PG... thus leaving some not as advanced ancients in the MW who then built Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X