Destiny's Start Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Start Point

I re-watched Air part 1 - 3 and I had a thought: Since Destiny's start point is in the Milky Way Galaxy, maybe there is some planet out there that has some remnants of where Destiny was built.
    if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

I thought that too. Maybe the whole background radiation thing was in the MW the whole time. I'm guessing that planet, if it exists, can only be accessed by Desitny's Stargate and cannot be detected by the MW or PG Stargate models.

If I would be given the chance to write the series, I would have revealed that the ship lied to Rush because he was an ass to everyone from the start and that Young and the others were right the whole time - getting home is the only way to complete the mission. So they dial the planet and go home from there.

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
      I re-watched Air part 1 - 3 and I had a thought: Since Destiny's start point is in the Milky Way Galaxy, maybe there is some planet out there that has some remnants of where Destiny was built.
      Destiny's start point is not only the milky way galaxy, but earth, because that was the last sign, Eli's idea, to add to the address.
      Well, it is still possible that the ship was build somewhere else.

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
      I thought that too. Maybe the whole background radiation thing was in the MW the whole time. I'm guessing that planet, if it exists, can only be accessed by Desitny's Stargate and cannot be detected by the MW or PG Stargate models.
      O, I guess the whole backround radiation thing was ALSO in the milky way. Because, as I've understood it, it's all over the UNIVERSE!
      And for what reason could only Destiny's stargate detect it? Why not the others?

If I would be given the chance to write the series, I would have revealed that the ship lied to Rush because he was an ass to everyone from the start and that Young and the others were right the whole time - getting home is the only way to complete the mission. So they dial the planet and go home from there.
      Why should a machine take sides with people it has no ideas about? At that point nobody knew, what would happen. In the beginning everything was about survival, and the ship helped to survive.
      Even if Young was right, how do you think HE would be able to bring them home? And why was Young not able to bring them home during the week, he could do this without any interruption from Rush?
      Maybe because Young has zero idea about the technical details to do it? And if Destiny was on his side, why didn't it helped during that time?

Do you really think it was meant to be that easy?

Destiny was not able to dial any planet outside of the range of the stargates in its surrounding, because it is an old ship, it needs repairs – a lot of – to be able to dial as far as earth. Did you missed that part, it was explained in the series?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
        Destiny's start point is not only the milky way galaxy, but earth, because that was the last sign, Eli's idea, to add to the address.
        Well, it is still possible that the ship was build somewhere else.

O, I guess the whole backround radiation thing was ALSO in the milky way. Because, as I've understood it, it's all over the UNIVERSE!
        And for what reason could only Destiny's stargate detect it? Why not the others?

Why should a machine take sides with people it has no ideas about? At that point nobody knew, what would happen. In the beginning everything was about survival, and the ship helped to survive.
        Even if Young was right, how do you think HE would be able to bring them home? And why was Young not able to bring them home during the week, he could do this without any interruption from Rush?
        Maybe because Young has zero idea about the technical details to do it? And if Destiny was on his side, why didn't it helped during that time?

Do you really think it was meant to be that easy?

Destiny was not able to dial any planet outside of the range of the stargates in its surrounding, because it is an old ship, it needs repairs – a lot of – to be able to dial as far as earth. Did you missed that part, it was explained in the series?
        Maybe or maybe not for Earth being the build site. simply, the Gates were programed to only accept Earth as the point of origin. Now that I think about it, the POO they have been using is wrong because that was off the Gate Ra brought to Earth, not the origin Gate The Ancients put here..............

Comment

Maybe or maybe not for Earth being the build site. simply, the Gates were programed to only accept Earth as the point of origin. Now that I think about it, the POO they have been using is wrong because that was off the Gate Ra brought to Earth, not the origin Gate The Ancients put here..............
          I don't think it's important where the ship was build, important is the point where it started its journey. Even if the gates were programmed that way, the key was to use earth as the last chevron. And, Destiny was able to dial earth, once, when the ship recharged in the star. Telford came through, the ship was destroyed after that, but it was possible.

If the POO was wrong, because of the "wrong stargate," why worked it then, two times?
          Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 12 July 2014, 01:44 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm far from an expert on Stargate tech, but if a wormhole must travel through space to certain locations, then the tech of the Stargate must be able to detect the specific location it is. So if you move a gate somewhere, it should calibrate it's new location. Therefore it wouldn't matter which gate one uses.

They have talked about the drift of the stars over the long time that Destiny has been out there, so they compensated for that in their endeavors to reach Earth, but I think the originating gate would "know" where it is. Destiny's gate must constantly adjust for it's location. The seed ships relay data back to Destiny so it can find new gates within it's reach when it stops during it's travels.
            sigpic

Comment

I have always felt that either the moons of Mars or on mars itself was where it was built. Don't know why.

BUT due to their civilization still being on earth, it was used as the POO for the access code.

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                I'm far from an expert on Stargate tech, but if a wormhole must travel through space to certain locations, then the tech of the Stargate must be able to detect the specific location it is. So if you move a gate somewhere, it should calibrate it's new location. Therefore it wouldn't matter which gate one uses.

They have talked about the drift of the stars over the long time that Destiny has been out there, so they compensated for that in their endeavors to reach Earth, but I think the originating gate would "know" where it is. Destiny's gate must constantly adjust for it's location. The seed ships relay data back to Destiny so it can find new gates within it's reach when it stops during it's travels.
                actually, it's the DHD that knows where the gate relative to other Gates...........

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  I have always felt that either the moons of Mars or on mars itself was where it was built. Don't know why.

BUT due to their civilization still being on earth, it was used as the POO for the access code.
                  actually, the Ancients were in the Pegasus Galaxy a million years ago when Destiny was built. sooooo, as to why the MW is the start point, I don't know.

Comment

actually, the Ancients were in the Pegasus Galaxy a million years ago when Destiny was built. sooooo, as to why the MW is the start point, I don't know.
                    The writers initially said it predated Atlantis, making it at least 10 million years old. However, the exact dating of Destiny remains vague. It's safe to assume Rush was being conservative with his figures.

Comment

actually, it's the DHD that knows where the gate relative to other Gates...........
                      Thank you, yes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        The writers initially said it predated Atlantis, making it at least 10 million years old. However, the exact dating of Destiny remains vague. It's safe to assume Rush was being conservative with his figures.
                        That's a good catch.
                        maybe it was built by those the Ancients left here, cause of the plague?

Comment

It was clearly shown that Destiny was built before the plague. The whole leaving for Pegasus was to escape the plague. If Destiny is older than the Atlantis technology then it has to be before the plague
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd like to throw a short dialogue into that discussion to add a little piece to jelgate's post:

Episode 4 "Darkness"
                            RUSH: Because I'm the only qualified person.

YOUNG: You see, this is what I'm talking about.

VOLKER: Maybe it's like a Lantean device - you need the Ancient gene to access the ...

RUSH: Destiny pre-dates that technology.

YOUNG: D'you know that for a fact?

RUSH (rounding on him furiously): Yes, Colonel. I know many many things for a fact! I know you asked Gorman to poke around in the weapons systems, for a fact. I know you have ordered teams of people all over the ship to do things that they know nothing about, for a fact!

(He storms away. Young and Volker follow him.)
                            Bolding by me, and I added a bit of context. (Text from Episodes transcriptes at GW)
                            Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 21 July 2014, 01:18 AM. Reason: really bad spelling!
                            sigpic

Comment

most of the background behind Destiny was revealed prior to SGU by the writers discussing it. Unfortunately quite a bit of it has never been put in the actual series.

The reason Destiny was abandoned because of Ascension, and that predated Atlantis too.

Still, if you do the math, Destiny doesn't make sense. In the series (about a year) we go to another galaxy. By extrapolating the shortcoming, we can know it's about a million lighyears. The rest of the time is spent exploring galaxies. It's a third of the way through at Gauntlet. Combined with the natural leaving of the galaxy in Sabotage, we can roughly say that Destiny visits a galaxy a year. Since the distance between galaxies (1 million lightyears here) is much greater than the size of a galaxy (e.g. 100 000 for our galaxy) we can safely say that travel time == galaxy distance.

If so, then at a million years it could travel a million million lightyears. AKA a trillion. AKA 1000 billion. It needs to be at least ten times that old, obviously making it ten trillion lightyears.

Consider i'm off by a factor ten. Say, the current situation is exceptionally fast and other galaxies are bigger and further away. That's just about the max to squeeze out a factor 10. You're still stuck at a trillion lightyears.

Say that because of the non-linear path, destiny does 3x the distance. Which is crazy insane crazy, but that still means 300 billion lightyears.

How much further do i have to say the show is unreliable before that distance starts to make sense? Assuming the last three times it fell short, it drifted for a million years (300 000 years each. 50K lightyears short at 1/6th the speed of light) you still end up with some 7 million years of travel, equalling some 210 billion lightyears still.

Worse is that by the Taonas hologram, Atlantis could be as much as 30 million years old as apparently that outpost already knew of it

Comment

Working...
                              X