A possible way to get Destiny's crew back to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A possible way to get Destiny's crew back to Earth

As most who have read my posts know that I believe that they could dial Destiny from the Ori gate.
    Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but has it not been stated all through out the Stargate Franchise that while matter can only travel one way through a worm hole, energy such as a radio signal or even explosive force can be translated in both directions through the Gates. With this in mind I'm think I've come up with a way to bring the crew back via the Ori gate being dialed from the MW side.
    The Asgard transport beam converts matter in to energy for transport, so they could beam the crew back through the gate even if dial from the Milky way since they would be converted to energy before hand and converted back after they arrived on the ship in the Milky way.

What do you guys think of my idea?

There's no real evidence that much more than radio waves can translate both ways through an open wormhole. Gravity clearly can as well, however that makes sense since a black hole can act on the fabric of space time, just as a wormhole bends it.
    I certainly don't recall explosive force ever being stated to translate both ways, or very much of anything else.

At any rate your idea still wouldn't do much good. You still need to get the gate open in the first place, which is the actual problem. If they could open it and keep it stable then there would be no problem in simply walking through.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

My thought was simple. To not activate any of the systems on Destiny by someone coming aboard, unless they were highly experienced in Ancient systems and were willing to stay on board in order to add in the Generators they bring to augment the life support systems so they would not use up any of the reserve power for the trip across the gap.

As I have stated the Ori super gate is more than capable of dialing Destiny.
      A couple of things had occurred to me as to why they did not try it in the first place. First The military being highly compartmentalized, the only people would would actually know of the Ori gate would be the Stargate teams, command oand Select gate personnel. Second because of the first reason Rush being research only, would have no need for this knowledge of the Ori gate, so the only thing he has to go by is the ancient database, which would not include the tech for a super gate powered by a black hole. also consider it is Ori technology not ancient, so naturally it would not be in the ancient database.
      Third would be simple oversight, no one else is overly concerned about Rush finding a way to dial a 9 chevron address or it's power requirements. In other words how often has anyone overlooked the obvious. Kind of like losing your pencil only to find it tucked behind your ear? One of those "Doh!" Homer moments.
      I kind of like the idea of an Asgard beam being able to be transmitted both ways through a gate, it would give a new trick and a lot of possibilities for episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladed View Post
        My thought was simple. To not activate any of the systems on Destiny by someone coming aboard, unless they were highly experienced in Ancient systems and were willing to stay on board in order to add in the Generators they bring to augment the life support systems so they would not use up any of the reserve power for the trip across the gap.

A couple of things had occurred to me as to why they did not try it in the first place. First The military being highly compartmentalized, the only people would would actually know of the Ori gate would be the Stargate teams, command oand Select gate personnel. Second because of the first reason Rush being research only, would have no need for this knowledge of the Ori gate, so the only thing he has to go by is the ancient database, which would not include the tech for a super gate powered by a black hole.
        Third would be simple oversight, no one else is overly concerned about Rush finding a way to dial a 9 chevron address or it's power requirements. In other words how often has anyone overlooked the obvious. Kind of like losing your pencil only to find it tucked behind your ear? One of those "Doh!" Homer moments.
        I kind of like the idea of an Asgard beam being able to be transmitted both ways through a gate, it would give a new trick and a lot of possibilities for episodes.
        A supergate cannot connect to a standard stargate under normal conditions. The only reason why it happened at all in SG-1 is because a nuclear blast was used to force the connection to jump to the next nearest available gate, due to some quirk of the stargate system. Now other than that, the Supergate will not dial a stargate, nor would I expect it to be able to dial a ninth chevron address since it doesn't use the same kind of address symbols that the milky way gates use.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          A supergate cannot connect to a standard stargate under normal conditions. The only reason why it happened at all in SG-1 is because a nuclear blast was used to force the connection to jump to the next nearest available gate, due to some quirk of the stargate system. Now other than that, the Supergate will not dial a stargate, nor would I expect it to be able to dial a ninth chevron address since it doesn't use the same kind of address symbols that the milky way gates use.
          Then you would have two options, create a new control interface crystal witch has been done with the Ori gate before, or place a regular Stargate along side the super gate to utilize the power from the black hole.

Comment

Then you would have two options, create a new control interface crystal witch has been done with the Ori gate before, or place a regular Stargate along side the super gate to utilize the power from the black hole.
            The second option has more merit, however given the fact that the black hole powering the supergates don't seem to pose a threat to the gates then it seems that they are potentially too far away for a standard gate to take advantage of the power. After all, even in 'A Matter of Time' the gate was already dangerously close to the event horizon of the black hole. A supergate also is designed to take advantage of the power of a black hole, while a standard gate is not.

There is also the point that Ori science is incredibly advanced and far exceeds the capabilities of even the Asgard. Even if a stargate could be used in this manner, it is doubtful that it would be possible to do it safely and without risk.

Comment

Even as a one time shot it would be worth it, plot wise and to get needed supplies to Destiny.
              Let's say it adds an element of risk and suspense to it.

Comment

I like the theory but I don't think much more than radio waves could make it through the gate, that being said, there really hasn't been much in depth discussion about energy transfers in both directions through the gate. I like the idea that you could store a person as data (similar to what is found in the gates buffers) and transmit that through the gate.

If you put Eli, McKay and Carter in a room together facing sure death I'm betting they could figure it out.

Comment

Even as a one time shot it would be worth it, plot wise and to get needed supplies to Destiny.
                  Let's say it adds an element of risk and suspense to it.
                  I agree, if SGU had continued I'm guessing they would do something similar to SGA where they eventually devise a way to communicate and possibly travel but It would be long and hard. Maybe Eli finds some rudimentary ZPM-type device while trying to solve his life support issue and in the process realizes that he can power the gate to milky way or pegasus.

Comment

From my POV it was made clear previously that the seed ship had plenty of energy to dial earth. From my POV it was also made clear that seed ships were sent ahead of Destiny so there are bound to be others out there.

This leaves several possibilities:
                    1) They find another seed ship which is capable of dialling the milky way
                    2) They find another seed ship which can't hold enough energy (like destiny) but is still capable of manufacturing things... like power reservoirs for Destiny given it's advanced manufacturing plant onboard and ability to harness raw materials.
                    3) Earth (more specifically Rodney) wake up and realise that the stargates are in essence subspace communicators and the one way wormhole is an artificially designed feature which can (via one of rodneys macros in a similar way to the galaxial bridge) be used to reverse the connection while drawing the power from the dialling stargate in a similar way to the blackhole that could draw matter backwards.
                    4) A galaxial bridge of stargates from one galaxy to another is formed via macros (an idea i've mentioned previously) in a similar way to the pegasus bridge. Although the stargates are older and less powerful, the same principle as the pegasus network could apply - each galaxy has one slightly more powerful gate that can dial out to the next galaxy in the area. This would then allow each galaxy to accept and pass on the wormhole matter stream so Destiny would only need to dial a local gate and then the stream would be passed back to earth. This one seems rather fragile to me but it would be a far more gripping (and temporary) way of dialling earth that would have kept the show going for a while before the bridge breaks (eg a stargate somewhere goes offline) and then the crew are by themselves again for a while before one of the previous 3 ideas are used.

Comment

If the Supergate can "dial the destiny" any old gate can by placing it where the Supergate is located so it similarly draws power from the singularity. I'm therefore not sure what the point is in complicating matters by insisting it be the Supergate that is used and then debating whether or not they could make it connect. Never mind, whether Asgard beam technology could properly lock onto something on the other side of the gate and then send it back through.

In any case, the franchise has never been great about letting Earth exploit that established black hole mechanic for the benefit of their heroes, with the exception of the one time they used it against the Ori. There are times when I would have liked to see them use it in Atlantis, for example, and... nothing. Obviously the behind the scenes explanation is that it would make things too convenient, but that's a reason to either not do it in the first place or retcon it away, not to use it selectively. It makes no sense to me why, from an in-show perspective, it hasn't been done more.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 27 August 2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Just take the whole destiny back to earth with a dux ex machina plot device, that should satisfy the fans.............
                        Scene:- Destiny BRIDGE, ELI and RUSH are in deep conversation:

Rush: I read a file about Atlantis using bugger all power to instantaneously transport across a galaxy!!
                        Eli: I can do that math! Mum, I'm coming home for you!

-dissolve scene-

Scene:- ATLANTIS BALCONY (space and shield backdrop): JOHN, TEYLA, RONAN and RODNEY are sitting on the balcony watching earthrise with Scotland coming into view
                        Rodney: I hate it when earthrise starts with Scotland, always makes me think of Carson
                        Teyla: He was indeed an noble and honourable man.
                        Ronon: (grunts) We have a clone on ice, what's your problem?
                        John: Look Rodney, I'll fix it, and who turned the holo-paper to speech mode?
                        Rodney: Sorry.
                        -RODNEY- flicks a -SWITCH-, TEYLA and RONON vanish.

DFX Scene:- Destiny pops out of HYPER-ACTIVE mode, heading straight for the ATLANTIS MOON BASE
                        (additional effects, everything is Plaid)

SCENE:- DESTINY Bridge; RUSH and ELI are in deep conversation.
                        ELI: "What the hell happened to your voice!!"
                        RUSH: (with natural accent) We got the arse you daft bugger, why would I give a ****e anymore!!
                        ELI: Sure, but why are you wearing a kilt??
                        RUSH: " 'Cause we've become a parody of a fewk'in parody, what else should I wear!! "

-ELI- looks out of DESTINY window, golden specks of light are heading towards the DESTINY-

ELI: "Oh thank god, we can recharge the Destiny with the suns radiation and put the brakes on before we hit!!"
                        RUSH: Boyo, they aren't solar rays, they are ancient drones!! On the bright side, it will make being painted gold easier.
                        ELI: Painted WHAT??

SFX scene:
                        DRONES slam into the DESTINY, tearing it apart till the DESTINY explodes in waves, wiping out the SGA Moon base and then STARGATE COMMAND and EARTH.

-end franchise-

Oh, and before I cop it for that, I've got a bag of salt for you to try along with it, OK?
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

BUT can the large gate of the supergate even DIAL into a smaller gate?? WE know once a wormhole between two regular gates can be forced TO the supergate, but can it actually make the connection itself??

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                          4) A galaxial bridge of stargates from one galaxy to another is formed via macros (an idea i've mentioned previously) in a similar way to the pegasus bridge. Although the stargates are older and less powerful, the same principle as the pegasus network could apply - each galaxy has one slightly more powerful gate that can dial out to the next galaxy in the area. This would then allow each galaxy to accept and pass on the wormhole matter stream so Destiny would only need to dial a local gate and then the stream would be passed back to earth. This one seems rather fragile to me but it would be a far more gripping (and temporary) way of dialling earth that would have kept the show going for a while before the bridge breaks (eg a stargate somewhere goes offline) and then the crew are by themselves again for a while before one of the previous 3 ideas are used.
                          And how would they get TO those galaxies to find then move all those gates into the interceeding space between each galaxy?? Remember by Air Pt 2-3, the Destiny is at least 16 galaxies away..

Comment

Working...
                          X