Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had not.

Interesting...I’m having a hard time figuring out how such a scene would fit in.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD. Maybe it will be on it. And maybe some commentary to explain.

Comment

Here is how many deleted scenes we'll get in the blu-ray release.

Comment

Wow.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just bought the BluRay, and as such have now seen this movie...

Seriously - rather than blow Luke up, they have him fade away to nothing cos he was an old man who used the force a little bit too much? I waited 40 years for this?
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
              Just bought the BluRay, and as such have now seen this movie...

Seriously - rather than blow Luke up, they have him fade away to nothing cos he was an old man who used the force a little bit too much? I waited 40 years for this?
              Yep. That scene alone was one of the most wtf scenes ever on any movie. I mean, he was old man, who used the force a little bit too much to appear on another side of the galaxy for what, max of 15 minutes?

I mean, I do get it, it's not the Skywalker's story anymore, it's the story of new cast, but killing one of the most iconic characters on any movie ever released like that? What was Rian Johnson thinking of?!

Other than that, I actually did like the movie. While it's nowhere near the originals to me either, but it ain't that bad, imho. Same goes to TFA, too, but that's whole lot different story, in the end though.

Comment

I'm decided to poke around this thread for the heck of it. Am I the only one who didn't like this movie? I mean, I would put it Uwe Boll quality with triple A special effects on it. Just saw it again recently and it was even worse than I remembered it to be.

sigpic
                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I don't love the movie, but I don't really understand why some people lose their minds over it either. For me it's very middle-of-the-road.

Comment

I think it's because they grew up with SW and now they're seeing it crash and burn. Like seeing a child-favorite franchise get mistreated. I never really cared about SW. If the franchise does crash and burn, I can't say I really care. But I remember first seeing it and thinking its mediocre. But seeing a second time recently...now that the novelty of the visuals have worn off, it feels really bad. Like Uwe Boll bad. Bad fanfic level bad.

sigpic

Comment

I grew up with Star Wars, and am seeing nothing of the kind. One 'meh' movie out of four is a pretty decent average, especially since most of the new canon comics and books have been terrific too. If anything, this is a renaissance for Star Wars.

Comment

The thing is, most people don't see it as just meh. A lot of people feel it is genuinely bad.
                        Maybe the expanded media is doing well, but the bulk of the popularity and the revenue comes from the movies. I'm confused by the 'one of four' though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                          I'm confused by the 'one of four' though.
                          Force Awakens, Rogue One, Last Jedi, Solo.

Comment

General opinion is that TLJ was bad and Solo was meh. So for a lot of people it's two out of four.

People were also pissed since TLJ took fan favorite characters and either discarded them in favor of bad ones, or had them act out of character and didn't justify it. And there's even a section of the plot that turned out to be worthless that people feel could have been used to develop the other two plots that hit dead ends.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, general opinon was Last Jedi stank and a boycott was founded on how bad Last Jedi was which is why Solo tanked at the boxoffice. Personally speaking I enjoyed both films {Last Jedi and Solo} Some parts of Last Jedi dsidnt make sense to me, and likewise with Solo, but most parts of both films were actually enjoyable for me.

though personally I would rent Last Jedi again, buy buy Solo directly on DVD

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I really did not get the impression that Solo was poorly received, it just didn't pull many people into the theatre. Those aren't the same thing.

Circling back around to TLJ though, I don't know exactly how I feel about 'misused' characters. Regarding Luke, I'm kind of of two minds. I get where people are coming from that he's not the hero they were expecting, but at the same time I do appreciate that they made his arc into an echo of Ben Kenobi. That's a thematic echo that I thought really worked, even though it defies expectation. I guess that speaks to my own mixed opinion on the movie.

Although, in fairness, Luke's exile and hermit-status were established in Force Awakens by Abrams. Last Jedi continued what was already set up.

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                a boycott was founded on how bad Last Jedi was which is why Solo tanked at the boxoffice.
                                That, however, is nonsense. What a bunch of whiny gits get up to on the internet has effectively zero impact on everyone living in reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X