No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you like about the character? What did you think the first time you saw Daniel? How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline? What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended? Boonie or bandana? Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?

Ooh, Daniel! I like that he's senstive and caring and sometimes too snarky for his own good. And, he's hot! I was already primed to like Daniel when I first saw the show, because someone told me that there was this wonderful character that I had to see (this was during the repeats on Sci-fi). I first noticed that this guy might be pretty cool in Cor-ai, when he was defending Teal'c. Even though I wasn't all aware of what the history and everything with the show was. But, I fell head over heels in love with Daniel in one scene. Singularity. Sam is saying she's supposed to be detached, and Daniel just asks her who said so. A man that doesn't believe in emotional detachment! A man who isn't afraid to show he cares!

Now, on to less than pleasant things. I think they really flubbed his ascended storyline. Personally, I'm not all that interested in how his being an Ancient should affect current stories, but objectively, I do think it should play some part. Especially in later episodes. What I'm really upset about, is that the show didn't deal with the descruction of Abydos. That's a huge thing, and we should have seen Daniel's reaction. I did like Daniel remembering Sha're (so sad) and using some of his knowledge to rescue Bra'tac and Ry'ac. But after that, they dropped the whole story too fast. I have no idea what Daniel did when he was ascended. Not creative enough to imagine it.

An easy question. Boonie!

I have so many favorite Daniel episodes. The Fifth Race, just for his interactions with Jack. (Oh, J/D friendship, where are you??!!!) Secrets. The whole scene where he delivers Sha're's baby is just hearbreaking. And, I love how he just trusted that he would be safe with Teal'c there. I liked naive Daniel in Prisoners, where everyone just wanted to protect him. I liked Daniel in Small Victories. (I think that's the episode). First, him running out of the infirmary because his team was back. And, the angst he had when Jack told him to give the order to blow the ship up. That's the thing about Daniel. I find I like things about him in the episode, even if I don't like the episodes overall. But, I do like The First Ones and Enemy Mine. And, I like the Daniel parts of Evolution2. And, I loved Lifeboat (MS and TR were both amazing) although I don't consider it a Daniel episode, really.

I could go on and on listing episodes that I liked the Daniel aspect of.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      This is a Daniel friendly thread for talking about Daniel.
      Yeee har! MMMMM talking about Daniel....

What do you like about the character? What did you think the first time you saw Daniel? How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline? What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended? Boonie or bandana? Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
      1. I like the way he is 100% passionate about what he does
      2. First time I saw film Daniel I thought "leave the room! get out while you can" First time I saw TV Daniel I thought "hmmmmmmm he's taller" but that's not what you mean? no?
      3. Daniel's storyline... no, that vein in my head has started throbbing... I'm not talking about it. I think it has been handled badly and I'm going to leave it at that for now.
      4. When he was ascended I think he probably annoyed... not really the right word, pestered? badgered? the other ascended ones into helping Earth, especially SG-1 - and I think that, in the end, is what de-ascended him.
      5. Boonie. But I prefer bareheaded.
      6. I'm still not clear what people think of as Daniel eps... so i'll say I like Torment of Tantalus because it reveals a lot about Daniel.

ETA: Is this the place to mention biceps?

Going back to Daniel's storyline... one thing that I have liked is the fact that he went from someone who hadn't a clue (military wise) - I'm remembering an ep... was it Into The Fire? where Makepeace gave him a weapon and he held it in his thumb and forefinger like it was about to bite him - to someone who was very au fait with what to do in Enemies when they were making their retreat from the replicators. I like the way he has started at least to consider the impact of his actions, even if he still goes with his first reaction.

That's what I think, anyway.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        To be perfectly honest I think that I like the way that Janet and Daniel et al interacted in Lifeboat more than anything. Teryl was great and I've always thought that her and MS have acted well together. Sigh. And I think that MS did a great job with what he had. It's not one of my all time favorites but I do think that the actors did a great job.
        Absolutely. MS's acting was great, but it would have been near meaningless without Janet. A whole bunch of strangers in peril / shouting / getting emotional, however superbly acted, isn't on its own enough to make great viewing. Janet, as our touchstone in the episode, is what links the loyal audience to the whole Lifeboat thing emotionally.

But I'm off-topic cos no way is Lifeboat a Daniel ep, he's only in two scenes

So... Feli mentioned Abyss, which certainly contains some great Daniel Stuff. The scenes between him and Jack are unarguably** the most charged and emotional scenes in the whole of Stargate.

**Okay, not unarguably. But anyone who does try arguing, well... !

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1
          My first post in the new GW has to be in the Daniel thread!!!!! I think my first visit to GW was in the Daniel Shrine. My fave DJ ep is FIAD. I also like AP. His smile and those blue eyes just make me melt.

I do prefer him without the boonie or anything on his head.
          Woo hoo! Great to see you here! I hope that this place is a worthy successor to the Daniel Shrine.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            Ooh, Daniel! I like that he's senstive and caring and sometimes too snarky for his own good. And, he's hot! I was already primed to like Daniel when I first saw the show, because someone told me that there was this wonderful character that I had to see (this was during the repeats on Sci-fi). I first noticed that this guy might be pretty cool in Cor-ai, when he was defending Teal'c. Even though I wasn't all aware of what the history and everything with the show was. But, I fell head over heels in love with Daniel in one scene. Singularity. Sam is saying she's supposed to be detached, and Daniel just asks her who said so. A man that doesn't believe in emotional detachment! A man who isn't afraid to show he cares!
            I first fell for Daniel in the movie, when he had the courage to stand up in front of all those people and put forward his ideas knowing how ludicrous they'd sound, because he knew he was right. Then later when he got his foot caught in the harness of that creature and was dragged across the sands - and that look on Jack's face

In a lot of ways Daniel is the perfect man - mainly because he's fictional! But also because he puts a 100 percent into everything, is loyal, compassionate, caring, curious, intelligent, knowledgeable, and not emotionally detached. And on a more shallow level, cor, he ain't half gorgeous! Those biceps, those thighs, that curve of the neck from just below the ear lobe...
            sigpic

Comment

Only 20 posts here? That's just not right.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              So... Feli mentioned Abyss, which certainly contains some great Daniel Stuff. The scenes between him and Jack are unarguably** the most charged and emotional scenes in the whole of Stargate.

**Okay, not unarguably. But anyone who does try arguing, well... !
              Well, I haven't taken the time to think about if other scenes might be, but Abyss is certainly a very emotional and charged episode, for the Jack and Daniel scenes. I love watching the two of them.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Fav Daniel episode? But there are sooo many.

For how he looks (oh, I'm so shallow to put that first), probably The Curse. For how he acts (the character not the actor) probably Menace - you KNOW Daniel is going to do and say certain things which will exacerbate the situation just because of who he is. For how he acts (the actor this time) Legacy. For story arc Full Circle - which promised to spin so many different interesting directions. And fav WhumpedDanny is New Ground because he looks so hacked off.

And interesting point about Beneath the Surface. I wouldn't have thought you actually were seeing Daniel as he would have been had he not been fostered (dear heavens - look at the double negatives and tenses there. How about BTS did show us a Daniel who had been fostered). After all, SG-1 weren't particularly different people, they just had none of their memories.

And Boonie. Of course.
                Last edited by SailorSueUK; 03 May 2004, 01:19 PM. Reason: Spooling eroor

Comment

The character of Daniel has evolved well over the seasons. When he ascended and was replaced for a season by Jonas it just wasn't the same without him. He sort of grows on you. Well he grew on me - he he!
                  You have more control over your destiny than you ever thought.

Comment

Woo hoo! I found the Daniel thread!

What do you like about the character?
                    Uh... to save my poor numb hands a whole lot of typing, I'll just say... EVERYTHING.

What did you think the first time you saw Daniel?
                    Regrettably, I didn't really think anything. I barely even noticed him!

How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline?
                    Fairly well, IMO. I tend to enjoy all of his storylines and character developments, and I think Michael has done a great job of taking Daniel from being a "geek" stereotype to being stronger and more capable in dire situations.

What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended?
                    From the little glimpses we were given, it looks as though he spent a great deal of time learning (from Oma and elsewhere), and the rest of the time he was probably hovering around SG-1 and the other people he'd come to care about (as well as the Goa'uld, obviously, since he seemed to know what they were all up to), keeping tabs of what was going on and being ready to step in and do whatever he could if things started going out of control.

Boonie or bandana?
                    I like them both, but the bandana just that little bit more than the boonie.

Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
                    Lifeboat is my fave ep of all time, but my fave eps for Daniel are The First Ones and The Curse.

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                    To be perfectly honest I think that I like the way that Janet and Daniel et al interacted in Lifeboat more than anything. Teryl was great and I've always thought that her and MS have acted well together.
                    Absolutely! They really seemed to bring out the best in each other in this ep.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    But I'm off-topic cos no way is Lifeboat a Daniel ep, he's only in two scenes
                    *ahem* Excuse me, but it was three scenes. Don't forget the "Janet?" "Daniel?" scene.

Comment

Good! I thought the Daniel thread was going to be stuck on the second page, where no one could see his glory.

Regrettably, I didn't really think anything. I barely even noticed him!
                      Okay, can you remember when you did notice him? And, did you slap yourself and scream, "How could I have been so blind?"

Comment

Gotta join in the Daniel thread! I've loved the character since the movie. I've always thought Eygpt and archaeology was interesting. And I've always loved the somewhat dorky, nerdy, akward men over the jock, stoic, military type. Daniel is such a sweet caring guy, always ready to stand up for his beliefs regardless of the opposition. I've loved watching him grow into an even more strong character and become comfortable with himself and his role in SG1. And of course he is damn attractive Tho I do still miss his longer hair.

Favorite episode is probably still "There but for the grace of God". I've just always loved alternative reality story lines and seeing how important Daniel's role in the Stargate program is. Also watching his ability to adapt to his situation was inspiring.

Comment

I think that my favorite Daniel Ep is...THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS
                          I'm not here man
                          Hello it was me

Comment

Meg, I knew that you would find your way here. Hope to see more of you. Here is a little something for us all to admire.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

This is a Daniel friendly thread for talking about Daniel.
                              What do you like about the character?
                              Umm...pretty much everything. His intellegence. His curiosity. His ability to think outside the norm. His arms. His neck. His...I'd better stop there.

What did you think the first time you saw Daniel?
                              YUM.

How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline?
                              They've made him too much of a soldier.

What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended?
                              Heehee...I'm going with MS' response on that one. Strip clubs in Vegas.

Boonie or bandana?
                              Bandana. Definitely Bandana

Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
                              Torment of Tantalus...(Although I LOVED MS and CJ in Changeling)
                              Webbgirl
                              Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
                              My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Webbgirl
                                His neck.
                                Hmm, I don't think I've ever noticed his neck, but it seems to be popular. I'll have to take a closer look.

Sigh. The torture

Comment

Working...
                                X