No announcement yet.

TNT's The Last Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed that last night. Though why put the reruns at 2am and 3am??

Comment

Dvr ?

Comment

Check your guide, I'm almost certain I saw them listed in the afternoon/eve.

Comment

Dunno about other areas, but they ran all 10 episodes of season 1 yesterday, 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM, EDT. I dvr'ed the entire thing, and am watching them over the next few days.

Comment

Currently watching"Lockdown", in which Dr. Scott has to test her vaccines by infecting monkeys and seeing if the test serum is effective.
            At one point we see her apologizing to a monkey she is testing.

I'm not saying this as Dr. Scott being wrong, evil or anything else. In fact, it's more a statement of my own hypocrisy, because I have no doubt that my own life has been extended and enriched as a result of things the Human race has learned through animal testing.

I just don't understand how people can do that to test animals, such as monkeys which do not present a danger to us. I don't think I could force myself to intentionally infect one of the monkeys with a fatal disease as she is required to do.

This hypocrisy extends to food, too. I am not a vegetarian; I love a thick, juicy steak as much as anyone. But I couldn't for the life of me be the one that kills the cow & slices it up, regardless of how humane the method used is. I just couldn't do it.

One big reason is despite what science tells us, how do we *know* that other animals don't have a sense of self, the ability to communicate with each other, and other such markers of higher species. It's impossible to prove a negative. All we can say for certainty is that we know that they cannot communicate with us, nor we with them.

I own 3 cats, which I got out of a rescue shelter about 6 years ago. By their behavior, I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can communicate with each other using means that I cannot detect. One of 'em likes to get into cupboards, closets and such, and occasionally gets herself locked in. More than once, while I'm sleeping, she has gotten into someplace, and the door closes behind her, locking her in. I find out about it when one of the other two comes into my bedroom, hops up onto the bed and very insistently wakes me up, and will not leave me alone. Sure enough, when I get out of bed, she / he goes to a closed door and sits in front of it. When I open the door, the one that is trapped scoots out.

Not only does that convince me that they can communicate with each other in a way I cannot detect, but further, they can take actions clearly intended to resolve the problem.

Just because we cannot communicate with animals doesn't seem to mean they are without conscious thought.

Comment

I have noticed that with cats to.. IMO its part of human hubris to think we are the only sentience on earth.

Comment

Our two cats, who are no longer with us, used to work together to get to their wet food, one was big and strong enough to open the cupboard door, the other small enough to skip in and push the food pouches out, many a time we would go out and come back to find empty cat food pouches over the kitchen floor, a bowl full of biscuits completely ignored (they hated biscuits), and two smug arsed cats snuggled up on top of the DVR.

So yeah animals can communicate with each other, just not us, I can't remember where I heard it, but I once heard a saying to the effect that is was arrogant of humans to believe they were the most intelligent species on the planet, and would likely be our undoing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                  So yeah animals can communicate with each other, just not us, I can't remember where I heard it, but I once heard a saying to the effect that is was arrogant of humans to believe they were the most intelligent species on the planet, and would likely be our undoing.
                  My Condolences for their passing.

I have to admit I've heard that before, too. On one hand, I think I hear Leonard Nimoy's voice, but I'm also thinking it's from the Hitchikers's Guide franchise. I have no idea beyond that.

Comment

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed the premier of the second season.

Spoiler:
                    So many things to dislike about the situation the good guys were in, like

The guy that helped take over the ship. He acted like he was enjoying the heck out of himself and would happily kill anyone who got in his way ... and did a few times. When they dragged the injured doctor's wife to his side and threatened to kill her if he didn't reveal where the primordial was, and then the doctor gave up his life rather than tell ... I thought that idiot was going to kill her anyway just to get even for the doctor letting himself die. I was very pleased later when XO Slattery killed him with a fireman's ax when they were fighting in the corridor. No, I'm not blood thirsty - there are just people I want to see get a taste of their own medicine.

Loved the scene where Slattery was cheering on his crew when they took back their ship.

It was interesting to see just how many of those people who had been saved by President Granderson didn't know just how many people she had ordered killed in order to keep her little kingdom intact or that she was having bodies burned in order to provide power to her Olympus (or whatever the place was called). When the Captain confronted her on the roof and was recounting the horrors she had approved, her two guards looked like they didn't know anything about that, I was halfway expecting one of them to kill her.

I was sad when the leader of the rebels got shot and died without even getting to do anything about Granderson.

I felt very badly for Granderson's daughter when she found out what her mother was up to, and then later being shot, and then later finding out her mother had committed suicide rather than face what she had done.

Given the previews to next week, I'm hoping that each season isn't going to have some crazy person(s) trying to destroy the Nathan James in order to get the "primordial". There must be other stories they can tell besides that sort of thing.

Rhona Mitra should have been in the story more than she was. Loved that Tex was back and jumped right into the action.

And are we now going to have children and non-military adults aboard the ship or are they going to leave them somewhere safe?

Comment

I rather enjoyed it, too.
                      Spoiler:
                      I just don't see where they are going to go from here.
                      1 US Navy Destroyer and her crew can't possibly repair the destroyed society they find themselves landing in. I don't think whatever city that was last night is the only bad situation. I think they showed previews of other such cities.
                      I hope this doesn't become a "dysfunctional city of the week" type show.

What I would prefer is that people start pursuing them at sea for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        1 US Navy Destroyer and her crew can't possibly repair the destroyed society they find themselves landing in. I don't think whatever city that was last night is the only bad situation. I think they showed previews of other such cities.

What I would prefer is that people start pursuing them at sea for various reasons.
                        They were in Baltimore. Its not a spoiler since they said as much in the S1 finale. I think S2 is more about finding a way to mass produce the cure as you are right its not practical for the Nathan James to go city to city giving out the cure.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          Spoiler:

Exactly what I thought.

Must admit I thought Tex was going to be offed since his beard seemed to acquire 6 months worth of growth during the single night of sleep he got in that house (I watched the series one finale immediately before) so assumed they had stuck a fake beard on him, glad he wasn't, I like his character, the black sheep of the crew if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed the premier of the second season.

Spoiler:
                            So many things to dislike about the situation the good guys were in, like

The guy that helped take over the ship. He acted like he was enjoying the heck out of himself and would happily kill anyone who got in his way ... and did a few times. When they dragged the injured doctor's wife to his side and threatened to kill her if he didn't reveal where the primordial was, and then the doctor gave up his life rather than tell ... I thought that idiot was going to kill her anyway just to get even for the doctor letting himself die. I was very pleased later when XO Slattery killed him with a fireman's ax when they were fighting in the corridor. No, I'm not blood thirsty - there are just people I want to see get a taste of their own medicine.

Loved the scene where Slattery was cheering on his crew when they took back their ship.

It was interesting to see just how many of those people who had been saved by President Granderson didn't know just how many people she had ordered killed in order to keep her little kingdom intact or that she was having bodies burned in order to provide power to her Olympus (or whatever the place was called). When the Captain confronted her on the roof and was recounting the horrors she had approved, her two guards looked like they didn't know anything about that, I was halfway expecting one of them to kill her.

I was sad when the leader of the rebels got shot and died without even getting to do anything about Granderson.

I felt very badly for Granderson's daughter when she found out what her mother was up to, and then later being shot, and then later finding out her mother had committed suicide rather than face what she had done.

Given the previews to next week, I'm hoping that each season isn't going to have some crazy person(s) trying to destroy the Nathan James in order to get the "primordial". There must be other stories they can tell besides that sort of thing.

Rhona Mitra should have been in the story more than she was. Loved that Tex was back and jumped right into the action.

And are we now going to have children and non-military adults aboard the ship or are they going to leave them somewhere safe?
                            I agree, it was a very nice season opener. But i also agree i hope it doesn't disolve into crazy of the week..
                            Spoiler:
                            I was real shocked when they grabbed the pregnant LT and feared for her on that table..
                            I was happy as buttons to watch the ship getting taken back by the crew too.
                            My only pity.. Granderson took her own life and won't face any justice.

Comment

Well, that was a real tear jerker in many parts.

Spoiler:
                              Seeing the crew members trying to find their families, and some of them not finding them. At least there seems to be some hope that XO Slattery's family might be alive somewhere.

I'm curious to find out just why Patient 0 is so happy that the virus worked so well, and is now so happy to be with the group that wants to destroy the cure.

Loved the scene when the Nathan James was sitting outside the harbor at Norfolk and signaling the tower, and then finding so many survivors.

Really emotional scene when all the people were getting cases of the cure and going off to the various planes and helicopters, and then the jets flying overhead.

We find out that the girl in Tex's locket is his daughter, and he's one of the ones who didn't find out whether she was alive or not.

Pretty cool when they found out how many pockets of survivors there were all around the world.
                              Last edited by hedwig; 28 June 2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately i was working a 630pm to 8am security shift at the time this aired.. I will have to catch it on line..

Comment

Working...
                                X