Carlyle & Ming-Na: 2014 vs SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlyle & Ming-Na: 2014 vs SGU

Obviously both of these excellent actors have moved onto even bigger properties now. How would you compare their performances in SGU to their current work?

For me, Carlyle is clearly the standout actor on both series. I'd say he's notably more charismatic on Once Upon a Time, but I might give a microscopic edge to his grittiness on SGU. Overall, he steals the scenes, and the audience's heart on OUAT, the latter isn't entirely true of SGU.

With Ming-Na, well, her chemistry with Clark Gregg is fantastic. It may be an unfair comparison, because Clark Gregg has made a career out of having amazing chemistry with everyone from soap opera-grade to Academy Award-level actors. To me, it's no comparison, because Ming-Na is a fantastically charismatic actress, who had little to no sizzle in most of SGU...
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Sooo i prefer the Dark One to Rush even tho i was team rush i feel that this role (as the dark one) suits him more although it is kind of unfair to judge because Once Upon a Time is going into it's fourth season while sgu only got 2 seasons

Not sure how i feel about Melinda May compared to Camille Wray, i think atm i like Camille better but season 2 of AOS looks like it's going to bring some interesting character development for Melinda May so who knows it's not like Robert Carlyle's Dark One where i liked him right of the bat but her character could turn into something great
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
      Sooo i prefer the Dark One to Rush even tho i was team rush i feel that this role (as the dark one) suits him more although it is kind of unfair to judge because Once Upon a Time is going into it's fourth season while sgu only got 2 seasons
      Very true, but I would think screen time would be comparable. Rumple is the supporting antihero on OUAT; I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if he was actually the highest paid actor on OUAT, but he's definitely not the star in terms of screen time. Actually, I would say it's more than likely Rush had more lines in two seasons of SGU than Rumple had in four of OUAT.

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
      Not sure how i feel about Melinda May compared to Camille Wray, i think atm i like Camille better but season 2 of AOS looks like it's going to bring some interesting character development for Melinda May so who knows it's not like Robert Carlyle's Dark One where i liked him right of the bat but her character could turn into something great
      Completely agree that May isn't on par with Rumple. I also think May & Wray are two of the least charismatic characters Ming-Na has played--compared to her smaller roles elsewhere. That being said, she's always great. On SGU, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of May's relationships, where on AoS she has amazing chemistry with Clark Gregg, plus something special with Chloe Bennet and Brett Dalton.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

I am certainly enjoying Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin, he's the best thing to watch on OAT for me. Carlyle brings something special to every role he's played that I've seen him in from Trainspotting to Once Upon a Time.

He brings that same element of deception and underhandedness of Rush into the character of Rumpelstiltskin. I feel he's having more fun with the role of 'The Dark One' which to me is a slightly more light hearted role, it being a 'kid friendly' evil 'Disney' character. However, as Rush he brought a great dynamic into the adventure, impacting on every aspect of life on Destiny with his actions, ill conceived or 'for the greater good'. Since I enjoyed SGU as a show to watch overall more than OUT I liked Carlyle as Rush more, he had more depth as a selfish individual as that character.

With Ming Na I'm enjoying watching her in AOS more than I did in SGU. She's got more to do in this and plays the kick ass Melinda May with relish. For me it is due to May being a better written character than Camille Wray. She did an admirable job of playing Wray though; in fairness I have to add that I think the character would have become more interesting had SGU continued. I began to notice her more as season two went on when things didn't focus so much on her private life but on relationships with her fellow crew members. The turning point for me was when she helped Eli with his mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          Completely agree that May isn't on par with Rumple. I also think May & Wray are two of the least charismatic characters Ming-Na has played--compared to her smaller roles elsewhere. That being said, she's always great. On SGU, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of May's relationships, where on AoS she has amazing chemistry with Clark Gregg, plus something special with Chloe Bennet and Brett Dalton.
          Originally posted by Krisz View Post
          With Ming Na I'm enjoying watching her in AOS more than I did in SGU. She's got more to do in this and plays the kick ass Melinda May with relish. For me it is due to May being a better written character than Camille Wray. She did an admirable job of playing Wray though; in fairness I have to add that I think the character would have become more interesting had SGU continued. I began to notice her more as season two went on when things didn't focus so much on her private life but on relationships with her fellow crew members. The turning point for me was when she helped Eli with his mother.
          I confess, I'm not watching OUAT. (Please, stop throwing vegetables at me!) I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these days since there are some great people on the show and the premise and stories look like they are right up my alley. I agree with Krisz that I think Wray could have become a more interesting character if SGU had continued. As Ripple in Space said, Ming-Na is always great. I am loving the character of Melinda May. If you see enough interviews with Ming-Na Wen, you can see how incredibly different she is from this character. Ming-Na mentioned at some press event that her favorite piece of direction that she gets - and she said she was going to put it on a T-shirt - was "Less Ming, More May" since her personality is so far removed from the character she is playing. A real treat was watching Agents of SHIELD season 2 episode 4 entitled Face My Enemy. Without giving anything away, Ming-Na really gets to shine in so many ways!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I think Robert Carlyle was way better in SGU. He was more subtle in his role as Dr. Rush with more suppressed emotions and IMHO that was interesting for an audience to see.

The only reason to watch OUAT is because of Rumple, but the Disney version of Grimm´s fairytale´s is not what I had expected. To much "Hollywood drama", not enough real and rough emotions like in SGU. The special effect always look fake and you can see the green screen on their faces all the time (expect in Storybrook and forest) it´s very bad work for a big TV-show.
            But Rumple was more interesting in Season 1, now he cry´s a lot for a "bad, good, bad, good guy" that bothers me. I don´t think someone as dark as Rumple would cry so much.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X