Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar

Default Orphan Black News / Discussion Thread

I thought I'd make a thread for Orphan Black since nobody else already has. Maybe in time we can get a dedicated folder!

If you haven't see it, check out this trailer.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Default Re: Orphan Black News / Discussion Thread

I remember reading a little about Orphan Black's premise (before watching it), and getting a definite "meh" feeling. Clones? Not really my thing.

Or so I thought.

Tatiana Maslany's amazing character (and acting) made me see the light.

The best show airing now.

Quote Originally Posted by rolfbjarne View Post
    I remember reading a little about Orphan Black's premise (before watching it), and getting a definite "meh" feeling. Clones? Not really my thing.
    Me too! She portrays each character so well that I actually forget they're played by the same person.

Airman

Thumbs up Re: Orphan Black News / Discussion Thread

You beat me to it creating this thread, congratulates, Orphan Black certainly deserves at least its own thread, and if it continues the way it began, intriguing ideas and great performances then eventually its very own folder?

Awaiting Season Two!

Opinion, innovative idea, kept lean, unfolding slowly in intriguing ways, how many more clones does she have out there, will they uncover their makers and who else is showing an interest in this spin on human evolution?

Airman

Worth the wait, evolving nicely.

I really liked season one. The best sci-fi show in 2013.

But I was pretty disappointed with this new season. The story could have gone in so many directions, but it went down a path i didn't like. Can't really talk about it without spoilers.

My wish is a few new clones to be added to this (still) amazing show...
    I recommend it to everyone who doesn't care too much about science facts or police/detective protocols...

Quote Originally Posted by Cluas View Post
    I really liked season one. The best sci-fi show in 2013.

But I was pretty disappointed with this new season. The story could have gone in so many directions, but it went down a path i didn't like. Can't really talk about it without spoilers.

My wish is a few new clones to be added to this (still) amazing show...
    I recommend it to everyone who doesn't care too much about science facts or police/detective protocols...
    Really? I think adding more clones now would seriously risk approaching multi-clone pileup territory. What is it about this season's path that you don't like. You can explain if you use spoiler tags.

Spoilers below for 2x03 - Mingling Its Own Nature With It

Spoiler:
    • Alison's seriously going off the rails here. Beth was uptight too and we saw how that worked out
    • Angie really can't keep her nose out of things. I really hope Art does end up reporting her.
    • Cosima coped pretty well with her clone's autopsy. I thought she was going to lose her lunch.
    • Now Daniel's impersonating a detective and shooting cops? Was it just me or was he giving off a bit of a terminator vibe?
    • Also, this new group of Prolethians is really giving me the creeps. I wonder what they have planned for Helena.

Airman

Adding more clones at this stage would be a step too far.
    How could you make those clones appear without a plausible explanation, surely there are more out there who have never heard of and never will hear of those we're now following?

Unless the evil corporation (there's always an evil corporation) is broken and in breaking reveals the locations of more girls.

But that, I suspect would be reserved for another season.

I'm avoiding previous comments so I don't spoil myself. Recently started watching this show and have really enjoyed the first 5-6 episodes. The acting as great and the story pulled me in pretty quick. I'll probably be caught up soon (with the BBC America schedule).
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I finally got around to watching the latest episode.

Spoilers below for 2x04 - Governed as It Were by Chance

Spoiler:
    Yay! Helena is well and truly back, Alison in rehab is looking like a barrel of laughs, and we got to see Sarah impersonate Rachel. It also looks like Rachel isn't as cold as we thought.

Spoilers below for 2x05 - Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
    Spoiler:
    This episode was great. Helena and Felix, brother sestra, Helena and Art and all the food, Sarah calling Helena "meathead", Delphine saying they'd have to kill Scott's family if they told him anything . The Prolethians were extra creepy what with sewing Gracie's mouth shut, and Rachel has a serious power complex.

The bit near the end with Sarah and Helena was great. They make a family!

This is not good. Not at all.

Next year I will stay away until the entire season has aired and watch the whole thing in one sitting.

Well, I'm beginning to enjoy season 2.
    Like I said, I didn't like it at first. But the last few episodes (up to 6) there have been a lot of answers, and the backstory is going in the right direction now.
    I still would like to see more clones (we know they do exist, Rachel had videotapes with more names on), and there would be plenty of room, the show hasn't got that many characters. I don't believe it will happen though... Maybe next season?

I think it's av good thing they don't introduce too many clones, it can become quite hard to make them different enough and still be believable characters.

My personal favorite so far is Helena

Default Re: Orphan Black: MORE CLONES PLEASE!!

Quote Originally Posted by rolfbjarne View Post
    I think it's av good thing they don't introduce too many clones, it can become quite hard to make them different enough and still be believable characters.

My personal favorite so far is Helena
    Yes, Helena is cool, even though we must not forget she is a cold blooded killer.

I disagree on the subject of more clones, though. I know I'm in minority here, but I still see room (and need) for a few more...

And what is up with Cal? He is not what he seems?

And ... Something else I thought about: Paul ...
    Spoiler:
    ... Paul is acting really strange since he came back from his trip. So I had a crazy theory : That he actually also might be a clone, and that some other copy came back, instead of 'old' Paul??
    - Just a weird thought I'm looking forward to get to know more about his past...
    Last edited by Cluas; May 28th, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: to add

Took me a while to get to this one. I'll be watching the latest one later too.

Spoilers below for 2x06 - To Hound Nature in Her Wanderings
    Spoiler:
    • The Sarah/Helena road trip was awesome. The shadow puppets bit in the tent a great sestra moment.
    • Trust Helena to get distracted by the bar/grill. Yet again we saw her propensity for violence, but we also got to see her have a great time with Jesse (Patrick J. Adams who plays Mike on Suits)
    • "Don't be a baby, I only sprained, next one I break"
    • The Prolethians have Helena again. They might regret that.
    • So Mrs S. knew all along, and Sarah finally has some answers from Ethan Duncan. Apparently Dr. Leekie isn't the good cop in the Leekie/Rachel duo. Go figure.
    • Mrs S. may have turned Paul. He should seriously consider it, do Rachel and Leekie offer him tea and biscuits?
    • Dyad's stem cells are from a close female relative of the girl who was cloned. That's an interesting direction.
    • Alison still doesn't see herself as a real drunk. She looks down on everyone else in rehab.
    • Has Vic really found Buddha, or is it all just an act?
    • What is Angie's problem? She was told to drop this, can she not leave well enough alone?

Spoilers below for 2x07 - Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things
    Spoiler:
    This episode is a comedy of errors. I've written a lot more about it than about most episodes.

Alison full on over-shares with Vic about Aynsley's death and then gives him custom gloves with a missing finger. She sure does love her crafts. Fortunately she catches him on the phone to Angie before he can rat her out. Naturally, she calls Felix for help.

"I can't go to jail, Felix. I don't have the temperament. In the shower, if they touch me, I will cut them!"

Alison and Felix lead Vic into Alison's room. Fortunately his desire to go and tell Angie is no match for a mention of Sarah. Sarah turns up and tries to make it through Vic's 12-steps atonement process, but she's phoning it in really. He tries to win her back before face-planting into a table full of glitter courtesy of Felix spiking his tea. How could there not be glitter on Alison's rehab family day.

"It looks like he was molested by elves."

Naturally Sarah is forced to pretend to be Alison, and role play with Donnie. Alison shows up to help Felix move Vic. They have to avoid Angie, but they plant Vic passed out at the reception desk. Everybody assumes the pressures of family day got to him. Sarah struggles with role playing as Donnie, while Donnie plays Alison with unnerving accuracy.

"So I'm being Alison being Donnie?"
    "Don't stammer Donnie, and stand up straight. Or I'll withhold affection."

Of course Donnie ends up stumbling upon Alison and Sarah together and finding out that they're clones. He thought it was all some sociology study he signed up for in college. Alison rages at him for destroying their family.

Cosima starts her stem cell treatment only to discover that the stem cells actually come from Kira, harvested from a tooth she lost in the car accident. Leekie planted it for her and Delphine to find. She is not happy that Delphine tried to keep this information from her. She calls Sarah and tells her. Hearing this, Kira rips out a tooth using the string on the door knob technique. Such a selfless kid. Dyad really wants Kira, they hacked Cal's laptop but he left it behind to cover his tracks.

Mrs S. baits Rachel and Leekie into conflict by promising Duncan to Leekie, while setting up a meeting between Rachel and Duncan. Discovering that Leekie killed her mother tried to kill her father leads to Leekie being exiled from Dyad. He gets to live only because Rachel spared him in a moment of sentiment, he did raise her after all. He runs into an angry Donnie who holds him at gunpoint and demands that he and Alison be released from the study. Leekie agrees, only for Donnie to accidentally shoot him in the head. Apparently neither was having a bad enough day already.
    Last edited by Britta; June 2nd, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Wow, crazy episode, I loved it! Why exactly are we spoiler tagging aired episodes?
    Anyway
    Spoiler:
    It was a really Pulp Fiction moment, when Donnie shot Leekie. I must be a bad person, but I laughed And I laughed when Vic fell face first into the table, then Felix carried him and banged his head.
    But in the same time it was a very serious episode.

I love this show.

Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    Why exactly are we spoiler tagging aired episodes?
    It airs a bit behind here in the UK. The spoilers tags are for the benefit of those who choose to watch it the conventional way.

I just started watching this show. I just saw Season 1 Episode 8. I'll put this in tags just in case.

Spoiler:
    Holy shock factor, batman! They just showed Kira getting smashed by that car. I don't know if this is going to suck me into the show more, or push me away. I hate it when kids or dogs get hurt in TV/movies.