Disney drops EU and goes for its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    But that's just what's so maddening about all this--next to none of that is canon anymore. Only the stuff from the new 'Disney canon' counts anymore
    Actually the stuff with offical sources {books, film media, etc} is still considered canon last I knew. Though it has been awhile since I learned anything concerning those sources.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I posted the other thread you probably already saw. What's in there constitutes the entirety of the Star Wars canon now. Everything else that we know and love from the EU for the last 30+ years counts for nothing now.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think people get too wrapped in what's canon and what isn't. I mean if you read a story or play a game and enjoy it then who is to say it's not part of the wider universe? If it contradicts with one of the films then so be it. While you're reading it or playing it then you simply disregard what "canon" for a while. Like I said, it's a shame for any planned works that now have been cancelled, but for the rest, it's still there. It's still all good if you like it and you can immerse yourself in that world at your leisure.

At the end of the day canon is exactly what you want it to be. Any kind of fiction, whether it's watched, read , listened to or played becomes YOUR world when you indulge in it. It doesn't matter what others think or even TPTB think. It's your world to do with as you wish. If star wars vii comes out and it's awful then feel free to just totally disregard it in your own mind. I'm pretty sure that there will be no shortage of fan projects staying in the old EU universe.

It may still be a kick in the teeth by Disney, but at the end of the day they're a business, and in particular with Star Wars they'll make far more out of the casual fans of the films and the new kids entering the universe then they ever will out of die hard fans. Therefore they can always be expected to operate in a manner which they feel will generate the most money.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I posted the other thread you probably already saw. What's in there constitutes the entirety of the Star Wars canon now. Everything else that we know and love from the EU for the last 30+ years counts for nothing now.
          Yes, this I know, the good news however is that Wookieepedia will still be around, and like P90 says, we make our own views of what is canon and what is not when we read, watch or listen to whatever we find.

Though personally I am not sure if I'll see the new movies though

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Re: P90's post: Yeah, that's pretty much my plan going forward. Unless the new material ends up being Godfather-esque in quality, I'll likely just ignore it and continue living in the dead EU.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Re: P90's post: Yeah, that's pretty much my plan going forward. Unless the new material ends up being Godfather-esque in quality, I'll likely just ignore it and continue living in the dead EU.
              You just gave me a very funny image in my head of Mark Hamil delivering a Marlon Brando impersonation...

Comment

My understanding is that the existing/already-published EU material will continue to be published under the brand "Star Wars Legends," but it will not be the canonical, 'factual' Star Wars universe anymore. Rather, it will exist only as a) a revenue generator; and b) as an idea ground for writers to mine ideas from for future, canon materials.

I wonder how all those authors and creative minds feel about 30+ years of their hard work being reduced to mere 'potential ideas,' just because someone with a bigger purse came along?

For my two cents, this news is as unwelcome as it was expected. I may check out the odd new release out of curiosity, but Disney's blatant disregard for the countless dollars and decades of interest I've poured into Star Wars as it has been, means they will not be seeing any of my money.

I'm sure they're not going to weep into their hands because I won't pony up $10 for a movie ticket or $30 for a new hardcover novel, but that certainly doesn't mean I have to put myself out financially to support a franchise whose future direction I can't get behind.
                Well said, Digi.

I'm more than likely going to check out the movies but I doubt Disney will be getting much more of my money.

Same here.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

is there room for one more?

Comment

I have been preparing for this, I felt it was coming eventually despite my hopes it would not happen. It is what it is, I'm disappointed but I will continue to read these books as long as they are good. I try to rationalize it like this in a post I made over at theforce.net boards:

"Something I have begin thinking of myself the past couple of days is the differences between the two universes that causes some cool stuff to happen in my eyes. In "my" version of the "Legends" EU The Clone Wars is the Tartovsky microseries and everything from the multimedia project while all the stuff from the 2008 CGI series is part of the new EU and doesn't exist in the "Legends" EU(I really don't like using the Legends term). To go even further I like the idea of considering the old or Legends universe to be the same universe where Han shot first and the prequels don't exist, but the novelizations do.

That is just my take on it, I don't mind the idea of two Star Wars universes to enjoy when I think of it that way. To reiterate it is easy for me to see the Clone Wars in both universes represented by the two animated series. The Tartovsky Clone Wars is part of the Legends EU alongside the Dark Horse CW comics and other novels from the multimedia project up to ROTS and the Clone Wars of the new EU is the Filoni Clone Wars series and perhaps its tie-ins. As someone who likes both Clone Wars series but didn't like the steps on canon the Filoni series seemed to do constantly its easier to separate them completely now with essentially to me there being officially two Star Wars universes now."

Comment

I just see it as now SW has lots of AUs now just like other space operas. The books etc came after the movies that's a huge difference than if they were first Lucas never thought it there was going to be more movies at the time that's why he let those be published I really don't understand why some are so angry and think they are more important and the future movies should follow those books. Those books were not written by Lucas it is not like Harry Potter
                      sigpic
                      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I think it's absolutely shameful and disgusting. 100s of hardworking authors work has been put down the toilet. What's canon now? if the Solo family doesnt exist in the movie, are they official?
                        "You don't know half of it".
                        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                          I think it's absolutely shameful and disgusting. 100s of hardworking authors work has been put down the toilet. What's canon now? if the Solo family doesnt exist in the movie, are they official?
                          Geez it's not like they've taken the entire back catalogue and burnt them in front of the Skywalker Ranch. The books are still out there. People can read them if they wish. You're also exagerating the number of authors. There's a few dozen at most.

I would have never expected them to stick to the EU anyway. Too much has happened in it.
                          Think of it the other way around. No one into comics books are insisting that the avengers stick within canon of the comics. Hell they've had the argument already within the comic books already.
                          Star Trek likewise has a massive array of books, but never for one minute would I expect them to be treated as canon. And star trek games don't even fit into the history of the tv series half the time.

They're stories. Fiction. They tell their own tales for you to enjoy if you wish.

Comment

Personally I'm not upset by this at all and this is hardly without precedent.
                            Firstly, the infamous Star Wars Holiday special is not canon.
                            Secondly, the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye (which was initially intended to be the story for the second film) became non-canon when Lucas changed his mind and with the release of The Empire Strikes Back.
                            The Han Solo trilogy and Lando trilogy novels are also not canon.
                            The Ewok films are not canon.
                            Droids and Ewoks animated shows are not canon.
                            The original theatrical releases are not canon. (Lucas has made changes to them from the very beginning prior to the Special editions which most people do not realize).
                            The original Marvel comics series are not canon.
                            The original home video releases are not canon. (they were cropped, etc)
                            The Dark Horse comics adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy is different, therefore, not canon.
                            Some aspects of the EU became non canon with the release of the Special Editions and the Prequel trilogy.
                            The original 2D Clone Wars series is no longer canon.
                            More aspects of the EU is no longer canon with 3D Clone Wars series.
                            Probably more aspects will no longer be canon with the release of the upcoming Rebels series and definitely the majority of the EU's New Republic will be non-canon.

However, as with the Prequels, the Clone Wars and Rebels, ideas and names will be mined. For those who feel upset about the "poor writers" you should realize that the writers have very little input when it comes to writing the Star Wars novels and everything in those novels are the property of Lucasfilm to be mined or discredited. All Star Wars novelist are aware of this fact as it is in their writer's contract. The only reason to write a Star Wars novel is for the pay that it generates. This was true in the 90's and is still true today.
                            I stopped following the EU with the advent of the Prequels and trust me I owned them all up till the Phantom Menace was released. I purchased the Thrawn trilogy upon it's initial release and feel that the rest of the EU paled in comparison. The Thrawn trilogy filled a void for us Star Wars fans as it seemed like we would never get a prequel trilogy or sequel trilogy. It was our new trilogy for the time being. Then we got the Prequels, the Clone Wars and soon will have Rebels and the Sequels. Just like how Empire made Splinter and the Holiday special obsolete, the new films will make the EU obsolete. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. The EU was originally intended to fill the gap because there were no more movies, and when the gap was filled by new movies and tv series it continued merely as a revenue source plain and simple. I stopped investing my money with the advent of the Prequels because I knew the EU was no longer canon, and although it still was "canon to some level" I knew as more tv series and films rolled out that it would diminish in status... and so the day has finally come and I am not at all surprised. Films and TV series take precedence in canonicity even prior to "the dark days of Disney rule". PS I did own Splinter, Han & Lando trilogies and watched everything else that is no longer canon too and I am not heartbroken or angry about it either. Lucas himself never paid too much attention to the going-ons of the EU and claimed it was an alternate reality to his vision, and that was good enough for me to drop it completely when Lucas decided to get back to the Star Wars universe.
                            I for one will sit back and enjoy the films, the Clone Wars and Rebels instead of belly-aching about something written by freelance writers who've sold out to make an easy buck (instead of writing something original that is truly their own).

Comment

Originally posted by HaveYouSeenMyForceLance? View Post
                              We do not speak its name!... Honestly... I did yesterday and I've had nothing but bad luck since.

Comment

Originally posted by HaveYouSeenMyForceLance? View Post
                                Personally I'm not upset by this at all and this is hardly without precedent.

Secondly, the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye (which was initially intended to be the story for the second film) became non-canon when Lucas changed his mind and with the release of The Empire Strikes Back.
                                The Han Solo trilogy and Lando trilogy novels are also not canon.
                                The Ewok films are not canon.
                                Droids and Ewoks animated shows are not canon.
                                The original theatrical releases are not canon. (Lucas has made changes to them from the very beginning prior to the Special editions which most people do not realize).
                                The original Marvel comics series are not canon.
                                The original home video releases are not canon. (they were cropped, etc)
                                The Dark Horse comics adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy is different, therefore, not canon.
                                Some aspects of the EU became non canon with the release of the Special Editions and the Prequel trilogy.
                                The original 2D Clone Wars series is no longer canon.
                                More aspects of the EU is no longer canon with 3D Clone Wars series.
                                Probably more aspects will no longer be canon with the release of the upcoming Rebels series and definitely the majority of the EU's New Republic will be non-canon.
                                Most of that is wrong. (Or was, prior to last Friday's announcement.)

Comment

Working...
                                X