• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning of the End (122)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON ONE
    BEGINNING OF THE END
    EPISODE NUMBER - 122
    The team infiltrates a secret Hydra facility, while John Garrett begins to feel the full effects of his treatment. Meanwhile, Fitz and Simmons find themselves trapped at the bottom of the ocean, and an old friend makes a surprising return.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 13 June 2014, 10:13 PM.

I really liked this episode! For me, the best episode of the season. Backed it up and watched the last half of this episode immediately just to enjoy the dialog again.
    sigpic

Comment

YAY!

Totally met my expectations, but boy that was great. I do wonder why they lingered so long on Coulson's writing since we basically got the gist of it and they could have used the time else where.

Skye's secret will be the big reveal next year in comparison to Coulson's secret being the mystery and driver for the character moments this year.

Does this mean Coulson is going to get super strength too?

So glad to see Deathlok on the loose

Comment

The Garret scene was great, didn't see that coming. This was a great end to the season.

I forget the guys name but was that a clone at the end of the episode that welcomed them to the base?

Comment

A great Finale for the AOS!!
          "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! " - Ward apparently piss off both Skye and May!! May basically kick ward ass!! Remind me of something James Bond said: Don't argue with women, they always right!!
          Nice to see you again, Director Fury!! And Thanks for saving Fitz-Simmons!!
          It is so hilarious for both Fury-Coluson conversation and both of them confront Deathlok and Garrett just waiting on Deathlok to finishing him off.
          And LMFAO to see Garrett was 'just alive...long enough' (after everyone else had left) to crawl to a surgical table, enhance his entire body (painfully) with Cybertec devices, boldly proclaim "Cut off one head..."and then got his ass disintegrated by the 0-8-4 weapon Coulson had gone back to "pick up." Coulson, after disintegrating Garrett, simply looked down at the weapon and said: "Oh, that's where it was." BOOYA! - it is Joss Weldon "Firefly" like Malcolm Reynolds style !!

And .... Former Director Fury appoint Agent Coulson --> Director Coulson !!
          Nice comeback on PATTON OSWALT "Billy KOENIG" scene!! -- And they both like nick name secret base!!

And can't wait for season 2 !!
          sigpic

Comment

Great end to the season, really looking forward to where they take it in season 2!

Its funny how they mix the humour in too, perfectly timed.

Comment

Originally posted by yukin1990 View Post

<snip>
              And LMFAO to see Garrett was 'just alive...long enough' (after everyone else had left) to crawl to a surgical table, enhance his entire body (painfully) with Cybertec devices, boldly proclaim "Cut off one head..."and then got his ass disintegrated by the 0-8-4 weapon Coulson had gone back to "pick up." Coulson, after disintegrating Garrett, simply looked down at the weapon and said: "Oh, that's where it was." BOOYA! - it is Joss Weldon "Firefly" like Malcolm Reynolds style !!

<snip>
              Yes! So Malcolm Reynolds style.
              sigpic

Comment

LOVED the finale. A great roller coaster ride of action, humor and emotion. Some random thoughts:
                --MELINDA MAY IS AWESOME. Awesome, awesome, awesome. One of the best lines of the night - “You were never on top.” And Ming-na tweeted during the airing: #NailHydra. I love Ming-Na Wen as much as I love Melinda May.
                --Excited that Nick Fury wasn't a 10-second cameo in this episode. He played an important part and had some great lines - both funny and touching.
                --Very happy there wasn't redemption for Ward. True, he still seemed a bit conflicted about everything that was happening with Hydra and Garrett at the end, but even in Garrett's madness, he never went against him. Also, when he finally went after Skye, he said, “Maybe I’ll just take what I want…wake up something inside of you.” That seemed very ominous.
                --I noticed a parallel in Coulson and Ward - they both lost their mentors (Fury and Garrett). Coulson didn’t blindly follow Fury - he was looking for him for answers to the TAHITI project and so on. And in the end Fury told Coulson to go out on his own and rebuild SHIELD from scratch. Meanwhile, Ward asked Garrett for orders and was told he could do whatever he wanted. Ward couldn’t function without Garrett’s leadership.
                --Really happy that the team was able to free Mike Peterson, but sad he can't be with his son after all he has done. But I'm sure he is really relieved to know his son is safe.
                --I heard someone say that they felt that the first Cybertek office scene felt a little bit like "Cabin in the Woods" and I totally agree. Loved it.
                --Koenig returns (sort of). Remember that Eric Koenig mentioned that his brother and he always gave each other nicknames and his brother called him Lightning Foot. So, Billy is the infamous brother? Or may be a Life Model Decoy. In any case I'm glad that Patton Oswald is back. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of him.
                --Loved how the FitzSimmons scenes unfolded. I loved the danger, their conversation about what happens after death, Fitz finally confessing his feelings to Simmons and her reaction, and the fact that the team didn't come out of everything completely unscathed. If we can believe Fury, Fitz’s brain was deprived of oxygen for a long time (although it certainly didn’t seem that way). I’d be very impressed if Fitz comes back and isn’t totally back to normal.
                --Garrett's end and the nonchalant way Coulson walks out of the room with the laser, telling the team he knew it was there somewhere - BRILLIANT.
                --Waiting for season 2 is going to be torture! Who (and what) is Skye's father? What is Raina? Could she be Skye's sister? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO COULSON?!?! Coulson seemed to be normal until he got a look at the diagram Garrett scratched into the glass door - then later that night he felt compelled to scratch out a larger version of the diagram on a wall. What exactly is the diagram? It looked very similar to the diagram that Ward took a picture of when he was pretending to be Akela Amador.
                --And I need more Melinda May backstory next season - preferably with another guest appearance of May’s mom.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Okay, I loved the episode, best of the season. Best finale I've seen for this season's shows I've watched. Everyone has already said the positive stuff I could bring up, so I am going to go negative on a few things.

- In My Opinion Ward's redemption is still imminent. There will be an episode next season where the team will need his insider knowledge to track down Hydra. That is how it will begin.

- I really don't like what happened to Fitz. It says to me that there is a chance they are going to replace him. I really hope not, but that seemed like a possibility.

- I really don't like how they messed up the flow of time again in this one. You had the team attacking the compound. It was supposed to be a swift strike. Yet Ward goes from talking to Garrett, then all the way to the plane, then all the way back to Skye while Coulson and Tripp are still in the truck. That can't be explained away. What were they doing, circling the parking lot?! It seems like a small gripe, but it is all I kept thinking about while they were trying to squeeze in those Ward scenes, what could Tripp and Coulson possibly be doing?! And the answer is that they were still driving around in the truck. Huh?!

- Did not care for the loose explanation of how Fury found Fitz and Simmons. You can't say the beacon is extremely weak and then say it was good enough for someone to track you to the middle of an ocean and ninety feet down.

- Finally this is a setup problem. I felt this season got off to a very weak start because of the team building and getting to know the team stuff. Now they have set it up so most of next season will be team building, only a bigger team. I am not happy with this aspect at all.

All that being said I thought is was a great finale. It almost makes sitting through the first fifteen episodes worthwhile. So far I have marked I couple of shows off my list for next season, but Agents will get at least a five episode trial from me in the fall.

Comment

In response to some of Looney's comments:

--You are probably right that Ward's redemption is still imminent, but it was nice they didn't turn him good in the finale.
                    --I don't believe TPTB would replace Fitz. I *love* FitzSimmons! Not as a couple, but as a team that works together. My guess is that the oxygen deprivation will cause physical problems for Fitz, but that he will still have his mental faculties - which is what makes him an asset to the team, so he will still work with the team.
                    --I'm sure there were timing issues in the episode, but I didn't notice or care. There was too much in the episode that I loved, so I am willing to forgive it.
                    --I forgave the weak signal beacon. Fitz said it was weak, but that doesn't mean it was too weak for anyone to notice. The main dilemma was the fact that he didn't believe anyone would be monitoring the Shield frequency it was broadcasting on. But apparently Fury was very determined to try and find Coulson!
                    --I have no idea what TPTB have planned for season 2. Would the show become about building a bigger team? Coulson was tasked with rebuilding Shield from scratch, but I would hope that the team stays pretty much in tact. (I don't mind having Triplett as a sub in for Ward.) No matter what, I doubt the second season will have the same problem that the first season had - having to keep the Hydra threat totally under wraps for most of the season.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                      --You are probably right that Ward's redemption is still imminent, but it was nice they didn't turn him good in the finale.

--I don't believe TPTB would replace Fitz. I *love* FitzSimmons! Not as a couple, but as a team that works together. My guess is that the oxygen deprivation will cause physical problems for Fitz, but that he will still have his mental faculties - which is what makes him an asset to the team, so he will still work with the team.

--I have no idea what TPTB have planned for season 2. Would the show become about building a bigger team? Coulson was tasked with rebuilding Shield from scratch, but I would hope that the team stays pretty much in tact. (I don't mind having Triplett as a sub in for Ward.) No matter what, I doubt the second season will have the same problem that the first season had - having to keep the Hydra threat totally under wraps for most of the season.
                      I totally agree that it is great they didn't have his redemption at the end of this season; except I think ideally it would have been best if he offered his life to save the team at the end of this season. I just keep thinking about those Agents he executed and I can't accept there being redemption from that.

Interesting idea about Fitz, also a very sad idea. I have a feeling you might be right. I still think it is Hollywood and there might be some executive who has decided they needed a different person for ratings sake. I hope we are both wrong and he is just back being Fitz next season.

I didn't mean the team being changed. I meant building a new S.H.I.E.L.D. as building a bigger team. How many episodes are going to be about new recruits who may or may not be good enough and may or may not be a good person or bad person or Hydra? That is where I was going.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        I totally agree that it is great they didn't have his redemption at the end of this season; except I think ideally it would have been best if he offered his life to save the team at the end of this season. I just keep thinking about those Agents he executed and I can't accept there being redemption from that.

Interesting idea about Fitz, also a very sad idea. I have a feeling you might be right. I still think it is Hollywood and there might be some executive who has decided they needed a different person for ratings sake. I hope we are both wrong and he is just back being Fitz next season.

I didn't mean the team being changed. I meant building a new S.H.I.E.L.D. as building a bigger team. How many episodes are going to be about new recruits who may or may not be good enough and may or may not be a good person or bad person or Hydra? That is where I was going.
                        The door has been left open just a bit for Ward redemption - the idea that he suffered abuse growing up and Garrett really molded him into an evil person. I agree with you - my preference would be that IF he were to realize all the terrible things he had done, I would prefer to see Ward sacrifice himself for the others. But you can look at other Whedon shows (granted - Joss wasn't a writer on this one) and look at evil characters that became good. It has happened.

I think any damage to Fitz will be sad - I love his character - but I think the saddest would be for him to lose his incredible mental prowess and NOT be able to be part of the team, which is why I could live with him having physical issues. It would still be very hard for him and the team to adjust, but I think it would be quite brave of the show to include someone having to deal with a disability - especially if he didn't make a miraculous recovery in a couple of episodes.

Oy - I don't want to believe the majority of season 2 will be about new recruits and finding out who was Hydra among the old field agents. I suppose there needs to be a little of that and new characters can be fun. Ooh - maybe that means we will see more of the Ultimate Lie Detector again. And there are opportunities to bring some people back - I would love another appearance by Akela Amador! I'd really like to find out what happened at the Academy and the woman who runs it. (She had that harried message to Simmons that if she survived she would know where to find her.) Based on how things ended in season 1, I would imagine that season 2 will include: the rebuilding of Shield, the mystery of Skye's (and probably Raina's) past (which hopefully will include answers so it doesn't stretch beyond another season), what's happening to Coulson (please don't let him be going crazy!), and the fate of Fitz and FitzSimmons (romantically or friend-wise). Also, I have to imagine that Gravitron will be making an appearance next season. I'd love more backstory on the other characters, but most especially May. We need to know more about The Cavalry story. And also - she was married?!?!?! And another appearance by May's mom would be a bonus!
                        sigpic

Comment

CRUD. Gotta wait till tuesday next week to see this ep!

Comment

I have really got into this show. Loved watching every minute of the season. The characters are great and have grown on me instantly, love Coulson, compassion mixed with hard man. Great humour, tension and some great action moments.

This finale was a fitting end to the present Hydra story line, of course they'll be back in some form. Loved both attempts at bringing about Garrett's end. Coulson blowing him up after all the effort to rebuild himself was hilarious, elements of Indy shooting the sword wielding bad guy to simply avoid the expected protracted battle.

Every character had their moment too, bringing them to the next step in their lives and giving a lot to unfold next season. I'm hoping to see how things work towards Ward's redemption too, Coulson doesn't give up on anyone however angry he seems if he believes there is something to work with.

So good to have another show where I look forward to the next season.

Comment

I just hope that Coulson being director doesn't move him to more of a General Hammond role of staying behind at the base while May leads the team on missions.

Comment

Working...
                              X