• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of His Name (405)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FOUR
    FIRST OF HIS NAME
    EPISODE NUMBER - 405
    As a new ruler is crowned, Cersei attempts to steer a course for her family's future. Dany must decide if the time is right to cross the Narrow Sea, while Sansa receives a strange welcome in the Vale. North of the Wall, Jon and his men arrive at Craster's Keep.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 07 May 2014, 09:23 PM.

WOW! Great episode. So now we know Littlefinger orchestrated everything. Basically Sansa just can't escape bad situations.

Is this the first episode, or at least the first episode in a very long time, that doesn't have one Tyrion scene?

I really don't like the whole thing where Bran and Jon keep coming close together, but they don't meet. It just seems too ridiculous.

How terrible is it that Bran has to use Hodor as a weapon?! I kinda of assumed it would eventually come to that, but it was still some powerful stuff. And I am so glad Locke is gone. Oooo Rast and Karl Tanner as well, didn't like them at all. Really didn't like that Karl got the better of Jon though. I guess they are trying to show that Jon is still learning.

And it is great that Ghost and Jon are reunited.

They were successful in making me feel bad for Tommen.

Very glad Craster's has finally fallen.

I can't believe Cersei is now willing to get Margaery involved with Tommen to keep the Tyrrell's close just so she can please her father and get him to vote to convict Tyrion.

I can't say I liked that they gave Podrick some ineptitude, but I guess that was a reason to have them in this week's episode so I am happy they came up with something to fit them in.

Comment

Well in Pod being inept, it shows what a nice guy Tyrion really is...cause pod is around because tyrion wanted him around, not because he was good. Tyrion values loyalty more than usefulness. Unlike daddy who discards those that aren't useful to him (his comments to jamie about being the one handed kings guard)

Cersei goes back and forth between being sympathetic and manipulative. But ultimately she's practical, and if she keeps margery close she hopes to control her. Not just to keep daddy happy in keeping access to the gold, but also to keep her position as queen mother. Cersei knows that the fate her daddy wants is for her to marry and be bundled off but she wants to stay in King's Landing, and if she can ingratiate herself with Margery maybe she can do that.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I like that Cersei is playing nice(for now at least), and playing up being the dutiful daughter and grieving, loving mother, in order to try to influence the judges(Margaery's father, Tywin, and Oberyn) in Tyrion's trial. I thought she was great in this episode.

It was nice seeing Ghost and Jon reunited. Jon's fight with Karl was pretty good. I also really liked Jojen in this ep. Even though I thought it was a pretty interesting diversion, I'm glad the stuff at Craster's is over, and that both Locke and Karl are dead. I'm also glad that Bran and Jon didn't meet(since I feel that would've changed things a bit too much) .

I loved Brienne and Pod. Their scenes were kind of cute and funny. I thought Arya and the Hound's scenes were great too.

I almost felt bad for Littlefinger during his scene alone with Lysa. She's deranged and even more creepy obsessive than he is. I lol'd when she had the Septon waiting outside the door so they could get married right away. I felt really bad for Sansa. I liked how she handled herself when her aunt went all psycho jealous on her though.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode and I really enjoyed it.
        Last edited by VampyreWraith; 05 May 2014, 09:53 AM. Reason: fixing a typo and wanted to add something
        sigpic

Comment

I think Lysa's days are numbered now that they are married.

I don't remember the reason why Jojen keeps looking worse and worse?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            I think Lysa's days are numbered now that they are married.

I don't remember the reason why Jojen keeps looking worse and worse?
            I thought his sight was taking its toll on him? Didn't he have seizures earlier on?
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yes, but they haven't shown the seizures for a while. They just show him getting worse and worse, so I guess we are to assume it is the seizures.

Comment

Jojen had a seizure during last week's episode while they were being questioned by Karl. Or do you mean before that?
                sigpic

Comment

Every superpower has to have a downside.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A very interesting episode.
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                      Jojen had a seizure during last week's episode while they were being questioned by Karl. Or do you mean before that?
                      You are right. I guess part of it is that he hasn't been in many episodes so his downfall has seemed very quick. Of course that is because he hasn't been shown very often, but in 'Show Reality' a lot of time has passed and that is one of those things I have to keep reminding myself. I wish the show would do a better job of reminding me as well. You know, reminding us that it takes a long time to get around so weeks and months are passing.

And for those who have read the books (I am still working on book one) . . . Is there any possible way it makes sense that Littlefinger was taking Sansa through The Bloody Gate? They came to The Vale by sea so shouldn't they have been at the complete opposite end to the gate? Okay I should stop pointing out the differences between the books and the show because my buddy just texted me that this episode was very far from the books.

And I personally prefer the book description of The Eerie to the show visualization, but it is still pretty awesome looking.

Comment

Working...
                      X