Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I love about SGU: Aliens are actually........you know, Alien.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I love about SGU: Aliens are actually........you know, Alien.

Although I loved SG1 and sorta like Atlantis, a big issue I had with both series is that there were no real alien races beyond the Gould & Replicators and the replicators. Sure the Unas and Asgard looked different, but they were still Humanoid. With a universe as large as the universe is and worlds as different beyond imagination, there's no reason to believe life would look like us.

I know for budget purposes, it makes it cheaper to make everyone a human with different color hair, leaves growing out of your head or a gold symbol on your forehead. That's why I love SGU. The few aliens they met were bipedal but not humanoid. The other race, if you could call them that, were machines. How cool is that.

yea SGU is from an age where CGI has gotten a lot cheaper and better, and that was noticeable.

Comment

I would have loved to see what other aliens SGU would have come up with.

They did do a pretty reasonable job of keeping to their promise of making the aliens 'alien'! I liked the Ursini, sort of 'inside out' exo-skeletal creatures. The blue aliens were sufficiently creepy alien looking too, loved the fluorescent eyes, really 'soulless' and alien. The 'sand' aliens were cool too. I liked seeing how they worked out a way to communicate to humans that they were intelligent by creating the images of the crew members they trusted to understand and help them like TJ and Scott, and recognising and retaliating to aggressive behaviour. That was my favourite 'alien' alien encounter as they really had to work on understanding what little they did of eachother to help eachother.

At the same time I always felt it was going to be tough to continue being inventive though. Creating 'alien' aliens all the time also adds difficulties with relating to something in the crews' experiences from a viewer perspective I think. This is why I think the Novus storyline was a way to avoid having to create aliens all the time and bring in the familiar trusty old 'easy' humans again! Coming across recognisable cities built by humans cheated in a way I felt with avoiding having to deal with totally alien environments which I would have liked to see more of. Even the so called 'alien' ruins they got lost in seemed too close to a mixture of Mayan and Greco/Roman architecture to me.

Then you have the usual alien bugs and plants, which are a lot easier to weave stories around in how they affect the humans than humans dealing with really 'alien' aliens.

At least SGU broke away a little more with the aliens, but only just!

Comment

In my opinion SGU is very good show but not awesome as a SG-1.

They did do a very good job to create new alien species and races. I'm so sorry that this show was cancelled.

At the same time I like watching episodes about contact with new alien races,species. At least we can see how they did do work on create new alien races in this show.
        sigpic

Comment

This is true, but I don't get the same STARGATE feeling from SGU that I do from SG1 and SGA
          sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

Personally i think making the Aliens unable to communicate in our language was a mistake. It limited interaction and prevented using the aliens as recurring characters.
            sigpic
            The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAtlantia View Post
              This is true, but I don't get the same STARGATE feeling from SGU that I do from SG1 and SGA
              At one point, SGU gave me more Stargate feeling that SG1 did in the end. 2.5 reminded me so strongly of what made SG1 great.

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
              Personally i think making the Aliens unable to communicate in our language was a mistake. It limited interaction and prevented using the aliens as recurring characters.
              Cost of CGI would prohibit that anyway.

At the same time I always felt it was going to be tough to continue being inventive though. Creating 'alien' aliens all the time also adds difficulties with relating to something in the crews' experiences from a viewer perspective I think.
              Yes, this is why i don't blame them for choosing this path.

Comment

Working...
              X