Tau'ri progress since "Unending"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tau'ri progress since "Unending"

So figuring that Unending took place in 2007 and we've had unrestricted access to both the Asgard core and the Atlantis database, how far to you think Earth has developed in those years - assuming they have been relatively conflict-free since the last Lucian Alliance attack on the Pentagon. I would think with 3-4 years of uninterrupted R&D, it's possible the Tau'ri could have advanced pretty far with transport and defensive technologies among other things.

I ask this, because I think if a fourth installment in the television series were to be created, I would hope they would factor this sort of thing into the story.

adversity is the mother of invention.

With no real threat to Earth (the wraith doesn't count), there no need for US government or any government on earth to rush into making new discoveries or implementing those discoveries.

So it seems far more likely that the pace of Earth advance have slowed down dramatically and Earth is focusing on revealing the entire thing to the public and in building up it fleet of 304s and 301s and exploring the galaxy.

Plus the SG universe have face the same economic trouble as the real universe, there not an awful amount of money to go around to invest in R&D and what little money there is is being put into 304 production.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

With no real threat to Earth (the wraith doesn't count), there no need for US government or any government on earth to rush into making new discoveries or implementing those discoveries.

So it seems far more likely that the pace of Earth advance have slowed down dramatically and Earth is focusing on revealing the entire thing to the public and in building up it fleet of 304s and 301s and exploring the galaxy.

Plus the SG universe have face the same economic trouble as the real universe, there not an awful amount of money to go around to invest in R&D and what little money there is is being put into 304 production.
      You make some good points, and I can definitely see how an impending conflict would be a good catalyst for developing new technologies. Conversely, don't you think that with relative (and I stress 'relative') peace, it might be a good opportunity to fund research and development of technology that could give us an advantage if and when a conflict does arise?

I always kind of figured with no imminent danger, maybe some of the researches would revisit technologies they didn't have the time to properly understand in the past. Like the AG-3 satellite system that Daniel dreamed up - they probably couldn't design that exact system since it was a dream, but they could run with the concept and develop something very similar. It seems like the Tau'ri would benefit from some kind of orbital defense network since Earth is targeted so often, more so in recent years between Anubis, the Wraith and the Lucian Alliance (and Baal in the alternate timeline).

That seems to be the pattern that many countries follow, I mean the F-22 began it's development in what was more or less peacetime. As far as budget goes, the IOA could devise a way to allocate a combined budget from all of the countries involved (China, France, Russia the UK and US). I don't think any one country should foot the bill since all of them are involved by some measure.

Comment

I think without any new enemy, there would be too much conflict between Earth nations to allow fast advancement. We still go to war with each other. We don't trust each other enough to risk one country getting too much tech. I think progress will be slowed. That and the fact that every time we venture too much, we find a new incredibly deadly enemy that wants to destroy us, may garner the need to proceed with caution.
        sigpic
        Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

Originally posted by DJsGirl View Post
          I think without any new enemy, there would be too much conflict between Earth nations to allow fast advancement. We still go to war with each other. We don't trust each other enough to risk one country getting too much tech. I think progress will be slowed. That and the fact that every time we venture too much, we find a new incredibly deadly enemy that wants to destroy us, may garner the need to proceed with caution.
          Those are some good points, if we're not united against a common enemy then we end up fragmenting against each other. Not unlike the System Lords if you think about it - you would think with that in mind the IOA/UN Security Council would reconsider how they work together.

As far as advancing too far and discovering a new enemy, that's a possibility. Although with the abundance of knowledge with the Ancient database on Atlantis and the Asgard core on the 304's and then the ability to retrieve resources via the Stargate, there seems like enormous potential to pursue some massive leaps in R&D if everyone were on the same page.

Next-generation battleships, energy-based anti-personnel weaponry for infantry, planetary defense systems, protection for off-world teams, etc. Who knows, it's fun to think about though.

Comment

WEll, the Asgard had a full copy of the ancient database for 1000s of years, so i don't see us progressing that much further than we already are in 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              WEll, the Asgard had a full copy of the ancient database for 1000s of years, so i don't see us progressing that much further than we already are in 7 years.
              Unlike that database, we have basically have asgard Google. We don't need to understand the tech to be able to make it, we can just go Star Trek and ask the computer to make more Asgard Cores, asgard power sources and mass produce dirt cheap asgard technology.

Commercial interest is the mother of technological integration.

Nasa making rockets is nice, but it's gonna take a space company to make it cheap. Just like duct tape, fly by wire etc. The military has already generated a ton of tech, now it's up to commercial exploitation to make it available.

The biggest threat out there are the Earthlike worlds because they can fight us on an equivalent intellectual ground, although earth fighting itself is even more likely as now the galaxy is up for grabs.

Comment

I believe the technology advancements would continue on a rather steep incline as the humans have access to both the Asgard and ancient databases, some people bring up the Asgard having had the ancient database but Thor said in the first episode after finding the Antarctic outpost with Jake in stasis that even thou they have had the database that even they haven't been able to decipher it all. The one thing I always thought that the humans should have done since reviving access to both is learn about ZPM and Asgard power source constructing being that they are both superior to the human naquaida reactors

Comment

Working...
                X