Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical Battlestar Galactica

Default Re: Classical Battlestar Galactica

Their isn't really that much. It only got 1 good season and that's not enough for most channels to use it nowadays.
    I like Sharky

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Flyattractor View Post
    At the time it was the MOST expensive show on tv. That's what really killed it. And the flying motorcycles would have been from the BSG-1980 series on NBC. Which was Gawd Awful!
    I always did like Galactica:TOS, starting right from it's premier in 1978. And I do have the whole series, Galactica 1980 and the theatrical release of the 1st episode on optical media.
    Galactica 1980 was on ABC, as was the original series. A strong letter writing campaign convinced ABC to give it another shot. Or to at least look like they did.

G1980 wasn't bad, for the 1st 3 hours, and then the finale.
    Yes, the flying motorcycles were silly, but the first story arc, about chasing Xavier though time, and preventing him from helping the Nazi rocket program was actually decent.

After that, it was moved to what was called "Family Viewing Hour", and the stories became jokes, centered on the kids, with episodes such as "The Super Scouts".

ABC wanted to kill the show, and that was enough to do it. The series finale, with the return of Starbuck was also good, but the audience had left long before it aired.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    G1980 wasn't bad, for the 1st 3 hours, and then the finale.
    Yes, the flying motorcycles were silly, but the first story arc, about chasing Xavier though time, and preventing him from helping the Nazi rocket program was actually decent.

ABC wanted to kill the show, and that was enough to do it. The series finale, with the return of Starbuck was also good, but the audience had left long before it aired.
    One of the most favorite moments in the finale story or storyline that I remember was when the whole BSG gang first viewed Earth's massive 10 or 12-lane highway system in California during rush hour! The BSG gang thought something along the lines of "what an amazing organizational structure earth had!"

It was hilarious to my family as viewers, because we knew it was probably LA's parking lot of bumper to bumper cars during rush hour!

What earth's annoyances might look like to an E.T. alien visitor.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    One of the most favorite moments in the finale story or storyline that I remember was when the whole BSG gang first viewed Earth's massive 10 or 12-lane highway system in California during rush hour! The BSG gang thought something along the lines of "what an amazing organizational structure earth had!"

It was hilarious to my family as viewers, because we knew it was probably LA's parking lot of bumper to bumper cars during rush hour!

What earth's annoyances might look like to an E.T. alien visitor.
    Well, one of the Galactica's warriors thought the brown haze surrounding LA was an energy shield.

Captain

Interesting tidbit I found while looking into something else...

It seems that the name for Galactica's fighters, "Viper" was adopted U.S. military pilots as the nickname for the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
    Viper: the unofficial nickname

The F-16 is often referred to as the "Viper", a nickname especially popular with people involved with the F-16. Before "Fighting Falcon" was selected as official name, pilots at Hill AFB, the first F-16 base, came up with a number of proposals, including "Viper". Lt. Col. Pat "Gums" McAdoo, USAF Ret., one of the first F-16 pilots at Hill AFB, recalls the origin of the name "F-16 Viper":

At end of runway, the F-16 did resemble a cobra or something as it approached you. However, I think Northrop had already taken that name for the YF-17.

We all voted, and Viper came in really high. Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica (a term later used for the Eagle).

In any case, the Generals didn't want a plane 'named after some snake'!

Falcon was a good name, and it fit in with the motif that the Eagle had created. Sort of a little brother, but still a 'Bird of Prey'. In fact, GD had a great promo out in late 70's called "Bird of Prey", and it used the Falcon as the real world model.

Even when F-16 Fighting Falcon became the official name, Viper stuck around and became the unofficial nickname for the F-16. The name "Viper" is even officially used for the Joe Bill Dreyden "Semper Viper" award, which is awarded for excellent airmanship by F-16 pilots.
    http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Currently i am 7 episodes into the 10 ep Battle star 1980 series.. man are the effects cheezy!

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Currently i am 7 episodes into the 10 ep Battle star 1980 series.. man are the effects cheezy!
    As bad as that is, I rather liked the first 3 episodes and the finale. I usually don't bother with the rest of it, though.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

To be honest, i felt the initial 9 were ok, but didn't like the "Return of starbuck" ep that much, other for its reveal that Doctor Z was his 'child'..

Second Lieutenant
    10.000 light years from Earth and going farther

I only liked the last episode with starbuck.The rest of galactica 1980, imo, it's one of the worst sci fi series i ever saw.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    To be honest, i felt the initial 9 were ok, but didn't like the "Return of starbuck" ep that much, other for its reveal that Doctor Z was his 'child'..
    The kid-centric silly stories forced upon the show by it's being moved to what was called "Family Viewing Hour" is where it went off the rails for me.

Probie

Where do you go after the 1979 series, or even 1980? What do you watch next? What was produced next?

And does anyone here have Netflix? I swear the 1980 series starts off on Episode 3 (labelled 1 on Netflix), am I wrong?

Captain

Complete Original series.

Galactica 1980, "Galactica Discovers Earth", pts 1 - 3, and then the last one, "The return of Starbuck".

After that, jump forward to 2003, Sci Fi channel miniseries is the start of the reboot version.

As of this writing, Netflix is NOT showing the 1st 3 episodes of G1980. No idea why.
    You can probably buy the DVD release for cheap, however. About $10 bucks. Don't know if it's worth it for 4 eps that are worthwhile, though.

NOTE: Between 1980 and 2003, there have been comic books, fan films and other such content, but I'm only talking about official releases that aired on network TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    The kid-centric silly stories forced upon the show by it's being moved to what was called "Family Viewing Hour" is where it went off the rails for me.
    For me it was the 'freeze ray'.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Captain

One reason I love garage sales...

Got this for a whopping 25 cents last year...

It's in good shape, too.

Galactica-Comic.jpg

Probie

The first season and the pilot still holds up enough for me today. The immense budget back in its day still outpaces part of the 2003 series like in some of the practical effects, set backdrops, and location shooting. Galactica80 just falls apart for me. "Dr.Z" kid prodigy, invisibility tech, time travel tech, superman "on earth effect", and a bs way of trying to tie the changes with the ship of light, mainly to mask the lower budget.

Ok if I'm going to watch battlestar galactica what the check do I watch. There is so much and I am lost. What is "original", "1980", "reboot", movies? I'm interested but don't want RE watch the same thing over and over

Captain

Battlestar Galactica itself ran 1 season on ABC TV in 1978-79, and was quite good for its time. However, while it did ok in the ratings, particularly early on, ABC execs wanted the show dead due to the high cost of production. So it was cancelled in spring 1979. The cost is visible in other ways, too; re-using stock footage of the Vipers being launched & other space battle shots. Most were taken from the 3 hour premiere with Dykstra's effects house "industrial light & magic" of Star Wars fame doing the effects.

A fan letter writing campaign bought a new, if temporary lease on life, in the form of a new show, based on the original called "Galactica 1980".
    But again, the bean counters won the day, and ABC again decided to kill it. But this time, they didn't cancel right away, but rather moved it to what was called "Family Viewing Hour" at the time.
    So, with G1980, the first 3 episodes tell a decent story, and then with episode 4, they started doing child-centric shows that are really too silly to take seriously. The audience left in droves, and the ratings tanked sufficiently to be cancelled again, based on ratings performance.
    Something happened for the series finale, however, we were back to an adult story which was very good, arguably the best individual episode of either series.

So, my suggestion is to watch TOS in its entirety, then jump to the first 3 episodes of 1980, then skip the rest of 1980 until the finale, which well worth watching.

Thanks