Classical Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    I admit I wasn't overly keen on Galactica 1980.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard, but I figured for completion sake, I'd check them out. I'm especially interested in some of the ship of the light elements I've heard about and comparing them to Starbucks destiny and the head characters in the new version.

Comment

I still hold the belief that the best way to "experience" the old show is to get ahold of the old Novelizations of the TV show. They show a closer picture of the original idea of the show and give a much more detailed and enjoyable aspect of things. Especially the Alien Cylons.
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Well... There was that OTHER series... But it has been agreed that we shall never speak it's name.
        Why not? I actually liked Galacta 1980.

Comment

I am surprised that it hasn't been repeated for a while.
          I am sure a channel could repeat it. I mean CBS Action have Classic Star Trek on constant repeat. So why not Battlestar Galactica?
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Maybe there is not enough 'fan base' to justify it?

Comment

Their isn't really that much. It only got 1 good season and that's not enough for most channels to use it nowadays.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                At the time it was the MOST expensive show on tv. That's what really killed it. And the flying motorcycles would have been from the BSG-1980 series on NBC. Which was Gawd Awful!
                I always did like Galactica:TOS, starting right from it's premier in 1978. And I do have the whole series, Galactica 1980 and the theatrical release of the 1st episode on optical media.
                Galactica 1980 was on ABC, as was the original series. A strong letter writing campaign convinced ABC to give it another shot. Or to at least look like they did.

G1980 wasn't bad, for the 1st 3 hours, and then the finale.
                Yes, the flying motorcycles were silly, but the first story arc, about chasing Xavier though time, and preventing him from helping the Nazi rocket program was actually decent.

After that, it was moved to what was called "Family Viewing Hour", and the stories became jokes, centered on the kids, with episodes such as "The Super Scouts".

ABC wanted to kill the show, and that was enough to do it. The series finale, with the return of Starbuck was also good, but the audience had left long before it aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  G1980 wasn't bad, for the 1st 3 hours, and then the finale.
                  Yes, the flying motorcycles were silly, but the first story arc, about chasing Xavier though time, and preventing him from helping the Nazi rocket program was actually decent.

ABC wanted to kill the show, and that was enough to do it. The series finale, with the return of Starbuck was also good, but the audience had left long before it aired.
                  One of the most favorite moments in the finale story or storyline that I remember was when the whole BSG gang first viewed Earth's massive 10 or 12-lane highway system in California during rush hour! The BSG gang thought something along the lines of "what an amazing organizational structure earth had!"

It was hilarious to my family as viewers, because we knew it was probably LA's parking lot of bumper to bumper cars during rush hour!

What earth's annoyances might look like to an E.T. alien visitor.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    One of the most favorite moments in the finale story or storyline that I remember was when the whole BSG gang first viewed Earth's massive 10 or 12-lane highway system in California during rush hour! The BSG gang thought something along the lines of "what an amazing organizational structure earth had!"

It was hilarious to my family as viewers, because we knew it was probably LA's parking lot of bumper to bumper cars during rush hour!

What earth's annoyances might look like to an E.T. alien visitor.
                    Well, one of the Galactica's warriors thought the brown haze surrounding LA was an energy shield.

Comment

Interesting tidbit I found while looking into something else...

It seems that the name for Galactica's fighters, "Viper" was adopted U.S. military pilots as the nickname for the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
                      Viper: the unofficial nickname

The F-16 is often referred to as the "Viper", a nickname especially popular with people involved with the F-16. Before "Fighting Falcon" was selected as official name, pilots at Hill AFB, the first F-16 base, came up with a number of proposals, including "Viper". Lt. Col. Pat "Gums" McAdoo, USAF Ret., one of the first F-16 pilots at Hill AFB, recalls the origin of the name "F-16 Viper":

At end of runway, the F-16 did resemble a cobra or something as it approached you. However, I think Northrop had already taken that name for the YF-17.

We all voted, and Viper came in really high. Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica (a term later used for the Eagle).

In any case, the Generals didn't want a plane 'named after some snake'!

Falcon was a good name, and it fit in with the motif that the Eagle had created. Sort of a little brother, but still a 'Bird of Prey'. In fact, GD had a great promo out in late 70's called "Bird of Prey", and it used the Falcon as the real world model.

Even when F-16 Fighting Falcon became the official name, Viper stuck around and became the unofficial nickname for the F-16. The name "Viper" is even officially used for the Joe Bill Dreyden "Semper Viper" award, which is awarded for excellent airmanship by F-16 pilots.
                      http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

Comment

Currently i am 7 episodes into the 10 ep Battle star 1980 series.. man are the effects cheezy!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          Currently i am 7 episodes into the 10 ep Battle star 1980 series.. man are the effects cheezy!
                          As bad as that is, I rather liked the first 3 episodes and the finale. I usually don't bother with the rest of it, though.

Comment

To be honest, i felt the initial 9 were ok, but didn't like the "Return of starbuck" ep that much, other for its reveal that Doctor Z was his 'child'..

Comment

I only liked the last episode with starbuck.The rest of galactica 1980, imo, it's one of the worst sci fi series i ever saw.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                To be honest, i felt the initial 9 were ok, but didn't like the "Return of starbuck" ep that much, other for its reveal that Doctor Z was his 'child'..
                                The kid-centric silly stories forced upon the show by it's being moved to what was called "Family Viewing Hour" is where it went off the rails for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X