Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

things in the first series pointing to the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

things in the first series pointing to the future.

Hi,

I am new here but have read through the forum posts for a couple of hours. please be aware that what I will type will probably contain spoilers and so if you have not seen the series it is best not to read this until you've finished watching Babylon 5.

Like many I do find the first series a bit slow and when I first watched Babylon 5 in the mid 1990's I couldn't get into it and i took many years to return to the series and see just how good it was. It is often said that the first series is episodic and doesn't really push the central story along. That's true but looking back over the first series you can see the introduction of key ideas that would later develop in the series. Ok stop reading now if you want to avoid any spoilers...

1) Infection: introduces the idea of organic weapons from ancient civilizations. The technology of the shadows and the Vorlons as revealed later, linking into telepath origins and technomanges etc.

2a) mind war: that the top-end of evolution is that you become and energy being. What humans will become and what Vorlons are.
    2b) soul hunter: here we get the idea that souls/people are passing on changing form. Alas the soul hunter mis-understand this and don't realize that normal (fort he Babylon 5 universe) path of evolution leads to some form of energy being and trapping them in a ball is holding back the natural cycle of the universe. (N.B. I might be pushing this 2nd point a bit much)

3)war prayer: Anti-alien sentiment/racism is present within humans/on Earth.

4) Quality of mercy: Life force and be passed from one being to another and that energy can be used to restore someone to health. What Lorien does to bring Sheridan back from the dead (near dead) and later, more obviously how ivanova is saved.

Many of the other episodes sit into the main story arc of the series: a) and the sty full of stars b) signs and portents c) eyes d) legacies e) Voices in the wilderness 1+2) f) Babylon squared and g) Chrysalis

The point I think I am making is some episodes that are often perceived as being stand-alone and not adding to the story and yet they are actually adding important concepts that the main story is later based upon.

What do others think?

There are also a lot of smaller details, too. Like in "And the Sky Full of Stars". Besides the main Sinclair/Battle of the Line storyline, when Delenn reports Sinclair's missing to Garibaldi, Garibaldi is reading a newspaper article about the Psi Corps backing Clark's election to vice-president.

Garibaldi later refers to this in Season 2's "Revelation".
    Last edited by McClance; 09 March 2014, 09:33 PM.
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Yep. There are many little details. That is one of the reasons I love B5, the details.

Comment

Working...
      X