• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lion and the Rose (402)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FOUR
    THE LION AND THE ROSE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 402
    King’s Landing welcomes a host of guests for Joffrey and Margaery’s wedding, which soon takes a humiliating turn. As Jaime begins training with an unlikely sparring partner, Ramsay Snow shows his father how useful his new pet can be.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 17 April 2014, 07:21 PM.

poor Tyrion....but wheeee, one psycho is gone
    been waiting for this wedding for a year
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Having only watched the show and not knowing what was coming I have to say I was really disappointed. He was let off way too easily. And looking at it logically, doesn't this rob them of their power? I am glad I didn't know it was coming, but I am shocked the story goes this direction. I can't even fathom where it is headed from here.

Comment

Robs who of what power? Joffrey has a little brother(who's not a psychopath), and Margaery is still a "virgin".
        sigpic

Comment

I just came here to say 'oh my god.' I knew what was coming, but it was wonderful to see the series finally reach this crossroad.

@Looney: could you fathom where it was headed after Ned Stark was beheaded? Or after Rob and Catelyn Stark were murdered? Other characters fill the vaccuum, and fill it nicely. :-)

Comment

I'm sort of going to miss Joffrey(I loved how Jack Gleeson played him), but I'm glad he's dead. I think it was a good death for him(I don't think it was necessary for it to be a brutal, bloody death), and it was kind of fitting that it happened at his wedding.

There are still several not so nice characters around to hate, or love to hate: Tywin(who's basically been running things at King's Landing anyway). Roose who's kind of similar to Tywin; and Ramsay who's basically a more grown up, sadistic version of Joffrey. Cersei also seems to be getting more witchy.
            sigpic

Comment

Wonderful episode. I knew what was coming and must say I wasn't disappointed with how it played out: it also didn't look fake or anything, I think the makeup artists did a wonderful job here.

We all knew Joffrey was a little psycho but I've got to say that perhaps he isn't solely to blame for his behavior when looking at Cersei throughout the wedding: the woman was smirking the entire time he was taunting and humiliating Tyrion, while you could tell everyone else was rather uncomfortable. Plus, I remember a story from the books about what Cersei did when Tyrion was born (I think it was Prince Oberon who told it?) and makes it look like Joffrey was more like his mother than I previously thought.

I was pleasantly surprised by Brienne's presence. I don't remember whether she was at the wedding in the books (I thought she'd just disappeared shortly after delivering Jaime) but I liked the little confrontation with Cersei. It would seem Cersei is jealous (or just being her malicious self) and behaving not unlike Jaime with Loras earlier. I hope we'll get to see more of Brienne, including some scenes with Jaime because I already got the vibe the two of them were well-matched in the books but it's interesting that Brienne didn't deny having feelings for Jaime when Cersei confronted her.

Speaking of Jaime, I'm looking forward to seeing his progress (with the sword) and how he will deal with Joffrey's death and Cersei/Joffrey's accusation at Tyrion. Am I the only one who wondered why Jaime didn't just ask Brienne to practice sword fighting with him instead of going through Tyrion to get Bronn (it wasn't him in the books, though, right?).

It was also nice to see more of Bran and his little group. Are they already beyond the Wall or not? I forgot. Interesting that the tree/three-eyed raven showed him things beyond what he could know or the trees themselves could see (King's Landing for example) and I doubt there were any ravens in Ned Stark's cell with him... There was a brief flash of King's Landing with a dragon flying over it, which made me wonder whether it was something of the past (a long time ago then and not really relevant) or something that might be...

One thing I like immensely about this show (and the books) is that they aren't afraid to kill off any characters and that they don't wait until the (mid-season) finale to do so. Nope, just kill Joffrey in the second episode of the season!
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Spoiler:
                Ding dong the douchebag"s dead

But Seriously I Did love Jack Gleeson's Portrayal of Joffrey, i haven't read the books but he made you want to hate him
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

It's been too long since I read them to do any comparisons, although joff's death is consistent throughout.
                  And yes, Joff did get some of his meanness from mommy. My interpretation is that he was a bit predisposed simply via incest (dany's family line is also compromised due to intermarrying) and then cersei's mean spiritedness only egged him on instead of trying to curb him.

Although in her defense, last season she was caught off guard by just how mean he could be. It's like when she was letting him be a bully she never looked ahead and though 'mmhm, bully AND ultimate power, might not be a good combo'

I did like the jealously scenes which were even more eye rolling when you know that Tywin has grand plans to split the twins up....doesn't need cersei making any more incestuous babies.

The ultimate irony of hte Lannister family is that their most hated member, Tyrion, is the most sane and human of the bunch. He could have gloated over his brother, but he tries to help him. He tolerated Joff when he could have embarrassed the little prat....of course notice that Margery was the only one that tried to control him.

sigpic

Comment

When you look at Tywin Lannister and how he treats his family, you can see the apple never falls far from the lannister tree
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                      Robs who of what power? Joffrey has a little brother(who's not a psychopath), and Margaery is still a "virgin".
                      The Lannisters. Margaery is Queen, but I guess what you said about them not consummating the marriage applies in some fashion to her not assuming power. It makes sense. Now Tywin will rule until Tommen is old enough. I guess that explains why an actor representing Tommen was in so many shots in this episode.

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post

@Looney: could you fathom where it was headed after Ned Stark was beheaded? Or after Rob and Catelyn Stark were murdered? Other characters fill the vaccuum, and fill it nicely. :-)
                      Yes I could fathom where it was going after Ned Stark was beheaded. I could also fathom where it was going after Rob and Catelyn died. I saw them as heroes of the story and there were other heroes who would have to take up the banner in their stead. Their deaths became trials that some of the other heroes would have to overcome.

Because of his age and the level of power he had I always felt Joffrey was the top tier of villains and would therefore be the last villain that had to be conquered, if they ever went that route. I also loved to hate Jack Gleeson, but that is beside the point. I guess part of what I am trying to say is that the villains under him don't seem as bad as Joffrey and the prospects of what Joffrey might have done. I also think it was too simple a fall for him. I wanted there to be more disgrace and humiliation for the Lannisters before he died. I also don't want to see some other new villain emerge who is supposed to be worse than Joffrey. Of course we know what is coming from beyond the Wall, but I mean another individual in power. As bad as he is, Tywin Lannister isn't as nasty a villain as Joffrey. Tywin operates out of sick selfishness. Joffrey operated from crazy evil, like Ramsay Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        I also think it was too simple a fall for him. I wanted there to be more disgrace and humiliation for the Lannisters before he died.
                        If they're faithful to the later chapters of Storm of Swords, you should be pretty satisfied with something that'll happen late this season
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          If they're faithful to the later chapters of Storm of Swords, you should be pretty satisfied with something that'll happen late this season
                          Oooo fingers crossed.

Comment

Yeah. All I think we can say - spoilerless - is that karma's a you know what, and Joff ain't the last to get what's coming to him.

sigpic

Comment

Sky probably knows to which person I'm referring above...but the fun doesn't end there, either! Someone else who's been immensely dislikeable has a pretty colossal fall from grace in the fourth book, which I expect will happen sometime during Season 5!
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X