Poldark (BBC Remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poldark (BBC Remake)

Oh my! Here's something I'm excited about. I can't think of anyone better to play Ross Poldark in a remake than Aidan Turner. I'm really looking foward to this. I wonder who they will get to play Demelza?

BBC One announces Aidan Turner to star as Poldark in new series

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...4/poldark.html

BBC One today reveals Aidan Turner (The Hobbit Trilogy, Being Human) will star as Ross Poldark in Debbie Horsfield’s adaptation of Winston Graham’s acclaimed saga set in 18th century Cornwall, made by Mammoth Screen and directed by Ed Bazalgette (The Guilty, Endeavour).

Britain is in the grip of a chilling recession... falling wages, rising prices, civil unrest - only the bankers are smiling. It's 1783 and Ross Poldark returns from the American War of Independence to his beloved Cornwall to find his world in ruins: his father dead, the family mine long since closed, his house wrecked and his sweetheart pledged to marry his cousin. But Ross finds that hope and love can be found when you are least expecting it in the wild but beautiful Cornish landscape.

Aidan Turner says: "I'm very excited to play Ross Poldark for the BBC and it's obviously a huge challenge to honour the extraordinary character Winston Graham created and who Debbie Horsfield has brought new life to. But there's a terrific team coming together and the scripts are superb, so I can't wait to get started."

A man of contradictions, Ross has a strong sense of social justice but a contempt for authority. He’s a man of principle yet frequently a rebel. Reckless yet full of integrity. Charismatic but down-to-earth. Volatile yet fiercely loyal. Torn between two women and two social classes. A hero to most, a scourge to many.

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, says: "We are really excited. He is a brilliant actor, he is part of the BBC family, we are incredibly thrilled he is coming back from Hollywood from The Hobbit in order to lead Poldark for BBC One."

Damien Timmer, executive producer for Mammoth Screen, adds: “Ross Poldark is an iconic role - we needed an actor with the right combination of striking looks, youthful rebelliousness, emotional complexity and maturity of presence which hints at the man he becomes across the saga. In our minds there was only one candidate. Happily he said yes!”

Andrew Graham, author Winston Graham’s son, adds: “I am delighted at the choice of Aidan Turner as Ross, as I am sure my father would have been. Ross in the novels was a man of dark good looks, impulsive temperament, strong loyalties and deep emotions. I am greatly looking forward to seeing Aidan bring all these qualities freshly to life.”

Poldark is an 8x60-minutes series, adapted by Debbie Horsfield and made by Mammoth Screen for BBC One. It is produced by Eliza Mellor and the executive producers are Debbie Horsfield, Rebecca Keane, Karen Thrussell and Damien Timmer for Mammoth Screen and Polly Hill, Head of Independent Drama, for the BBC.

Filming begins in Cornwall and Bristol in April 2014 and the series will transmit in 2015 on BBC One.

Further casting will be announced in due course.

And I've just found a tweet from original star Robin Ellis (@RobinPoldark)

Warmest congratulations to Aidan Turner on being cast as Ross Poldark. Take it away Aidan!
    Last edited by Blencathra; 01 March 2014, 12:24 AM.

Poldark starts this Sunday, BBC1 9.00 pm

Comment

Haha, I was looking at the first post thinking "I'm sure I've seen trailers for this..." then realised the post date and saw the one below...

Comment

Well I thought that was amazing! Brilliant actors, characters, romance & adventure. I loved every minute.

Comment

I'm halfway through this, seems promising so far. Looks like the start of a sweeping narrative...(hopefully)
          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I really enjoyed it. And I almost drooled all over my keyboard because of Aidan Turner
            sigpic

Comment

^ I just know that feeling.
              Impatiently waiting for episode 2 now....
              Last edited by Ikorni; 12 March 2015, 04:28 PM.
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Has everyone seen the trailer for episode 2?

Comment

Yep, it's just...not enough!
                  Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I know. Tomorrow can't come fast enough.

Comment

And it just gets better.

Somebody at the BBC Twitter account is fairly smitten as well.

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/577233162029416448

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/577234217362403328

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/577221110237904896

Comment

Can you blame them? I'm feeling the same way right now. *giddy*

And now it's one whole week to the next one! Argh!
                        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I don't know where this person got this trailer from, but I'm now internally screaming.

http://thedarkpoldark.tumblr.com/pos...re-the-rumours
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

The thing is that I've read all the books & I know what happens. So excited to see it on screen though.

Comment

Working...
                              X