Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were ideas for the 9th chevron BEFORE the show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were ideas for the 9th chevron BEFORE the show?

Hi,

I was wondering, what did fans speculate about what the 9th chevron does BEFORE the SGU show was created? Google search doesn't bring much helpful up, since everything is drowned in SGU information. Time travel and alternate universes come up a few times.

Speaking clock.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by WavyRancheros View Post
      Hi,

I was wondering, what did fans speculate about what the 9th chevron does BEFORE the SGU show was created? Google search doesn't bring much helpful up, since everything is drowned in SGU information. Time travel and alternate universes come up a few times.
      If memory serves, a lot of people thought it was either for time travel or dialling alternate realities.

Comment

I think the writers were thinking about introducing another chevron in SGA before it got cancelled, just like in SG-1. We'd probably get another new main villain on the show after the Wraith and the Pegasus Replicators would be defeated. However, the ratings weren't too great and the production canned the show, but the writers/producers managed to persuade MGM to allow them to create SGU, thus appointing it to a new series.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
          I think the writers were thinking about introducing another chevron in SGA before it got cancelled, just like in SG-1. We'd probably get another new main villain on the show after the Wraith and the Pegasus Replicators would be defeated. However, the ratings weren't too great and the production canned the show, but the writers/producers managed to persuade MGM to allow them to create SGU, thus appointing it to a new series.
          Actually, the ratings were still good, but they didn't want to produce two shows at once any more.

Comment

I know that the MGM's financial issues also contributed to SGA and SGU not being produced at the same time. But everyone should've thought about that before SGA's original 5 year run was over. But what's done, it's done.

As for the ratings, yes, they were still good. Still good. That was the problem for MGM. SG-1, if I remember correctly, was STILL doing fine in its final season (as per JM's blog). SGA was STILL doing fine in its final season. If it wouldn't be for the still thing, we'd be probably watching a new SG season or a new SG movie by now.

Comment

Lets get this back on track. Some theories did include distance, just not as a code.

Comment

Originally posted by WavyRancheros View Post
                Hi,

Direct pizza delivery for 9999 years.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

There were several theories, time travel (a built in gate function), parallel world gate travel, other universes (both parallel and other universes would depend on the ancients also creating gates there), a direct wormhole to ascension / higher plane, a self destruct mechanism (for one or all gates) etc.

None of them proved right though eh?! If you prowl on youtube you can find an SGA clip that was cut there McKay and Zelenka are arguing about the 9th chevrons real purpose. The scene was never shown as they couldn't squeeze it into the episode so it was cut.

Comment

Of course nothing prevents a gate from dialing on and on after all.
                    Once a first batch is complete, the lights could blink and acknowledge the beginning of the new sequence, etc.
                    They could go as far as to super charge each chevron's light.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                      Of course nothing prevents a gate from dialing on and on after all.
                      Once a first batch is complete, the lights could blink and acknowledge the beginning of the new sequence, etc.
                      They could go as far as to super charge each chevron's light.
                      Well yea, the chevrons are just an indication of what's going on. Programming-wise, there is nothing stopping them from creating a whole new way of dialling.

Comment

[offscreen]*247th cycle - chevron two encoded!*

O'NEILL
                        Carter, are you sure this whole dialing thing will work?

CARTER
                        Most positive, sir. It's a bit tedious but that's the way it's supposed to be processed. We're not talking about dialing it manually here.

JACKSON
                        Please tell me we can flash redial next time.

CARTER
                        Trust me, we can't shorten this. We've analyzed both the fabric and subcode of the stargate's intricate dataring and ironed out some conundrums until we obtained a faster set of compliant protocols that will unlock a powerful function we could only speculate about thus far.

O'NEILL
                        If you say so.

CARTER
                        We're about to move beyond mere extrapolation now.

O'NEILL
                        That's what makes me... worried.

CARTER
                        But the stargate is quite robust. I believe it can handle time travel fairly well. You've already seen this happen anyway.

O'NEILL
                        Oh, yes. Fantastic... times.

Teal'c raises an eyebrow.

CARTER
                        Honestly, I can't wait to see the end of this.

O'NEILL
                        Well, don't get too excited.

[offscreen]*247th cycle - chevron three encoded!*

Jackson checks his watch.

CARTER
                        Sir, this is our very first attempt at using the stargate for such a purpose. Once the preliminary test confirms the stability of the connection, we'll shut it down for the time being and be free to come up with our first mission.

JACKSON
                        Wait wait. A bit of caution wouldn't hurt here. Shouldn't we really think this out carefully? I mean, we're talking about time travel after all. The side effects of walking back and forth through time shouldn't be treated lightly.

TEAL'C
                        Indeed.

CARTER
                        We've been running the calculations for years now. It should be safe.

O'NEILL
                        "Should".

CARTER
                        Certainly. I think we could already consider a couple of simple objectives right now. What do you think, sir?

O'NEILL
                        You mean, beyond already compensating for the excrutiatingly tiresome dialing sequence?

Carter gives him a quizzical look.

[offscreen]*247th cycle - chevron four encoded!*

O'NEILL
                        Gee.

TEAL'C
                        O'neill, perhaps this would be an appropriate moment for me to introduce you to kel'no'reem?

O'NEILL
                        Sure! Please! Teach me that kel no... thing... of yours. Before I die of old age!

Comment

im confused. didnt they use the 9th chevron in Atlantis?
                          "You don't know half of it".
                          Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                          (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Nope. Atlantis was an 8th chevron address.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I mean, we're talking about time travel after all. The side effects of walking back and forth through time shouldn't be treated lightly.
                              they travel through time every time they step through the gate

Comment

Working...
                              X