This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any news on continuing SGU

with the improved encomony, has MGM mentioned new movies anything?

Originally posted by adamwoit View Post
    with the improved encomony, has MGM mentioned new movies anything?
    improved economy?

not to ridicule your optimism but... it's not THAT improved.

It's gonna be years untill new stargate. It's been 3 Years since SGU, it's gonna be at least a decade till new stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      improved economy?

not to ridicule your optimism but... it's not THAT improved.

It's gonna be years until new stargate. It's been 3 Years since SGU, it's gonna be at least a decade till new stargate.
      Ya it has a better chance of being rebooted at this point

Comment

we don't need a reboot just continue where the show left off eli did say 3 years or more

Comment

Eli Did say It would take Destiny 3 years or more to reach the next galaxy !

Comment

The only option MGM has (if they decide to continue the TV series at some point and make it a direct sequel) is to hire Malozzi, Cooper and Wright again and have them create a 4th series which would take place sometime after SGU's originally intended ending. Which means we'd be stuck with new characters again, and with veteran characters from all 3 shows making cameo appearances in which they mention what else went on since Gauntlet.

Unless the whole SGU cast agrees to come back. Which I doubt it'd happen since most of cast members (if not all of them) have already moved on.

The other, less wanted possibility is to re-cast everyone and continue the story with a new cast, re-film some of the S1 and S2 scenes for flashback scenes/clipshow episode purposes and just pretend the new cast was there all the time.

Comment

almost all the cast did sign the Save the Stargate Universe Petition at http://www.change.org/p/netflix-save-stargate-universe

Comment

Your argument is 3 years old before the cast had moved on to different shows
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Universe will return ! Netflix will Save this show !

Comment

No it won't. Netflix has no incentive to do so.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Yes It will!! We will have season 3 and more seasons to come

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Your argument is 3 years old before the cast had moved on to different shows
                        Even David blue has been somewhat busy. The rest, especially Dr rush, have been real busy.

Comment

For me, the 'nail in the coffin' was the MGM reboot that was announced with Emerich and Devlin returning. Unless there's been some VERY recent interview that stated otherwise, I think the intent going forward is branching off in a different direction than the television series. Unless something drastic happens, the only way we'll see more of any Stargate series on television would likely be based on the new reboot one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to continue the series already, but by this point, the reboot will likely attract a different audience or alienate them entirely.

Unless, of course, they decide to take the reboot into the same universe, but that's nigh impossible. By all signs, the SG-1, Atlantis, and SGU-verse are essentially in 'hiatus'. While someone like Netflix could produce a new series or pick-up SGU and continue it, it's, unlikely to happen at best. As Jelgate said -- They have ZERO incentive or reason to do so, and this all depends on MGM and other companies holding the Stargate rights releasing them. Not to mention the cost, rebuilding the sets, the CGI animation for Destiny, and resigning the cast, which, would take a decent penny to attract. It also means that the actors would NEED to have a clear schedule.

As said above, they are all busy with new projects. They won't be able to make an appearance if they're contracted to continue on with their current series projects; At least, they won't be able to make a commitment to get out of their current projects unless they also did any SGU-reunion on their own spare time, which, as once again said, is very, very sparse. Robert Carlyle has been VERY busy, and him finding time will be a challenge itself.

Right now, I don't even consider SGU-returning. If it did, it'd be in the form of a comic book, graphic novel, or a novel itself. Beyond that, I won't hold my breath on it making a comeback. Too many factors work against it, and that's just what I came up with in a few minutes of writing this post. If I had time, or anyone else had time, there are likely more reasons that the show won't, or can't, comeback.

Comment

What also has contributed to the cancellation of the TV series is the huge longevity of SG-1. It stayed on for too long. It would be just fine if MGM just allowed the writers to conclude SG-1 with season 7 and the movie they had planned for that year. Don't get me wrong - I like how they've done the final seasons of SG-1 and the first three seasons of SGA back-to-back and I even like how the story matches, but the truth is - there is a bad side to it. If SG-1 would end after 7 seasons and the originally planned movie (Lost City - or whatever it'd be called), the writers could just do what they originally intended and just write SGA and have just that show made. However, instead of writing just 60 episodes in a three year time for the new show, they had to write 120 episodes for both: the old AND for the new show. During those three years, the writers simply wasted all of the ideas they could've used in later seasons of SGA and SGU. Hence why they tried to change the direction of SGA in its 4th season - they were out of ideas and weren't able to come up with a plan how to continue the story without bringing old characters back (like Carter and Woolsey). That's when both MGM and the writers had done unrepairable damage to the TV series and the franchise itself - they didn't stick to their original plan of changing the direction of the show and its story, but rather, they tried to return the story to the right track, however, they were doing it the wrong way. The writing team was no longer creative and often resorted to time travel stories in order to resolve parts of the main story or an episode arc that went on for 2-3 years. From reading JM's blog - that's what we would be getting with the John/Teyla relationship episode arc, not to mention the unmade SGA movie, which would also resort to changing timeline in order to resolve a part of SGA's main story. The same concept was and would also be incorporated into SGU - the first two seasons had TWO time travel episodes (well, three if you count the Novus people episode) and season 3 would have the characters awaken either three or a million years in the future. SG-1 itself was concluded with a time-travel story and the unmade Revolution movie would probably end up being a timeline changing story too.

The lack of new ideas for new stories also contributed to SGU being more character driven than the two series that preceded it. Almost everything, seen on Destiny, was done to depth in both SG-1 and SGA (communication stones, ancient chair, the device which downloads ancient knowledge to your bran, the plants room, stasis pods, etc.). Don't get me wrong - I LOVE SGU, but the writers should have come up with more original ideas. I liked the story, but the SGU story was just a combination of a couple of plots taken from the other two shows and spread over 40 episodes. For such a format it was made in, it needed more original and fresh ideas to be successful enough so it'd earn a 3rd season.

I'd probably have to speak about this a bit more, but since I just had a medical exam, I can't think of anything else right now. If I come up with more stuff, I'll post in this thread or just edit this post. Bottom line: SGU is never coming back. SGA is never coming back. SG-1 is never coming back. Unless the reboot fails and Joe Flanigan convinces MGM to lease him the franchise like he wanted when SGA (and later SGU) got cancelled.
                            Last edited by Mnikolic; 08 September 2014, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                              I'd probably have to speak about this a bit more, but since I just had a medical exam, I can't think of anything else right now. If I come up with more stuff, I'll post in this thread or just edit this post. Bottom line: SGU is never coming back. SGA is never coming back. SG-1 is never coming back. Unless the reboot fails and Joe Flanigan convinces MGM to lease him the franchise like he wanted when SGA (and later SGU) got cancelled.

You know, I actually heard something about Flanigan wanting to do that. Kinda' pissed me off when he cared that much about the series continuing to try and originally buy it, which I believe was the first option he went with, then eventually went with the leasing. After all that, they didn't even bother to try and bring him in for an appearance on SGU. I was betting at some point they'd bring in Judge (Teal'c's actor) and Flanigan at some point over a third or even fourth season. A little off-topic, I know, but this is the first point in a long while I've heard someone even having knowledge of Flanigan doing those two routes with MGM. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X