Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Morally questionable actions of the Stargate Atlantis Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    Like when they decided to whipe out those Space-Nazis and didn't even let the one guy with the data-crystal on their technology survive
    Considering how they acted (and lied), i don't think that they were necessarily willing to share all that stuff, or that that data-crystal really contained their tech.

I agreed with Jack's sentiment when he went undercover to expose the NID-Technology-Thieves - "I'd rather be a thief and alive, then an honest man and dead"
    Diplomatically it would be incredibly stupid. Humanity was already desperate for tech and allies, and stealing it from potential allies would be incredibly dumb.

Steal technology, but if caught then they would have been disavowed - just like spies that are caught by other nations
    Which is what the rogue NID was, and the aliens asked us to get that tech back, and seal those leaks. They know Stargate access is tightly controlled, so insisting people just went rogue etc doesn't really work.

Plus, since Earth doesn't have all that advanced tech itself, it would be incredibly easy for better races to detect whether we had it, and all the other stuff was so far beyond us that we couldn't begin to understand it anyway.

Probie

Yeah, some regret might have been great - but then again some more militaristic choices
    Thing is, from all of SG1 and atlantis, we RARELY if ever saw ANYONE face repercussions FROM their bad/wrong acts.. Whether Jack getting demoted for ignoring orders time and time again, to someone suffering PTSD from being captured time and time over...

Quote Originally Posted by BlowitUpistus View Post
    Thing is, from all of SG1 and atlantis, we RARELY if ever saw ANYONE face repercussions FROM their bad/wrong acts.. Whether Jack getting demoted for ignoring orders time and time again, to someone suffering PTSD from being captured time and time over...
    Very true, I guess that would be because sometimes these things would have killed or harmed the person in question badly and some main characters just need to stay in the show, while others, sadly do not seem to be that important (from the chars that are there often and known by name)

Probie

IMO that is part of the problem. TOO many shows think killing or even permanently injuring "ONE OF THE MAIN cast" is verboten.. To ME it strains belief that they never seen to suffer..

IMO that is part of the problem. TOO many shows think killing or even permanently injuring "ONE OF THE MAIN cast" is verboten.. To ME it strains belief that they never seen to suffer..
    Yes, that is true. But on the other hand it is also understandable because depending in what would happen to the characters they could not stay in the position they have.
    That is, if they are seemingly as irreplaceable as some are. Others, like Carson Beckett were just replaced, though he actually died because Rodney had to play around with a device he did not know anything about.
    That is also one thing, if important characters that are more needed than others, others always face the consequences for their actions

First Lieutenant

I still like this better than the Game of Thrones route:

Kill as many main characters as possible! (as much as it's realistic it happens to piss people off who like certain characters, not to mention that you have to constantly introduce replacements - or start with an "impossibly" large cast (for a TV-Show) and thin that out over the running time of the show!)

greetings LAX
    ps: It's also unrealistic in a show were the dead can be brought back via technology and by other means (sarcophagus, nox-healing, cloning and genetic memory, ascending and descending (retaking human form) etc. etc.)

Well, if facing the consequences for their own actions I would not mind if one or the other main char gets killed or harmed...they can always make up a reason to bring them back. It is just that moist of the time they get warned of bad consequences and still do it without really being affected themselves, often at least

I liked it that they also got affected when the Wraith watcher was killed then the Atlantis team could not just ignore that and move on, but I guess that was necessary to give them an enemy they could fight against

Probie

I still like this better than the Game of Thrones route:

Kill as many main characters as possible! (as much as it's realistic it happens to piss people off who like certain characters, not to mention that you have to constantly introduce replacements - or start with an "impossibly" large cast (for a TV-Show) and thin that out over the running time of the show!)
    There has to be some happy medium between "NEVER kill someone without a sure fire means of resurrecting them" and Lets see how many main characters we can kill THIS season!

First Lieutenant

Hm...we had "harmed"

Daniel was forced to use a sarcophagus more than once because he was dumb enough to get himself shot (in the movie, while on board of the two ships Apophis took to invade Earth) and he was dying before he ascended (it's unclear how much the hand-healing-device could heal him, but everybody knew that it wouldn't fully restore him!)

The Team was killed when they attacked Apophis on the Nox-Homeworld (except for Teal'c)

Jack needed a damned symbiote because of that ancient plague that nearly killed him

Carson was killed because of Rodney touching **** he shouldn't have

Sheppard nearly died when he was attached to that stupid bug

Sam nearly died because of the Ashrak

etc. etc. (those were just the examples I remember without looking anything up!)

Sure longer lasting consequences would have been nice sometimes and some more character development etc. (but sadly they didn't really do longer arcs at first, which more or less demanded that everything was reset after an episode (with few exceptions)...that's also why they never kept any new technology (at first, later on some stuff was retained of course!) or developped much on their own (the naquadah reactor and limited space-ship technology which did badly in any encounter (the Prometheus wasn't just a prototype, it was ill conceived, too small (just like the later 304s - otherwise they wouldn't be so much better with a ZPM because simply pumping more power into a system doesn't make it better, unless said system was running on too little power before!), the weapons were of no use in a fight...every Ha'tak ignored the missiles after all!))...in reality one of the first things they'd really would have wanted to learn would be how staff-weapons work and then they'd make their own energy-weapons and the next thing would probably be personal shielding (so ground engagements against Jaffa start being pretty onesided! Which would also explain the low losses of the SGC against superior jaffa-numbers, more than "plot-armor" at least!))

greetings LAX

It's not verboten, it's just bad story writing. Killing off characters for the sake of "drama" or "realism" can make the audience feel emotionally manipulated. Audiences get invested in their characters and if you start killing them off for little to no reason, then they're less likely to get invested with the rest of the cast or any new characters you introduce.

Shows like "The Walking Dead" or "Game of Thrones" can get away with it because they're whole premise is set around the idea that "everyone's life is forfeit". A show like SG-1 or Atlantis are about the human condition and morality, not specifically about life and death.

Ultimately, what we watch fiction for is to see if a character succeeds or fails at their quest. Whatever the outcome we must feel as though their failure or success was earned. Similarly if a character dies we must feel that it was EARNED.
    If a character is going to die their story arch should build up to that death. The less build up there is the less likely audiences will respond positively to it.

P.S.
    Happy 4 year anniversary of this thread everybody!!!
    Last edited by coolcatkim22; January 15th, 2018 at 07:00 PM.

Second Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Well, I did once post a thread asking whether people preferred shows with mortal characters that die regularly or ones with a consistent crew that somehow survive and people said they preferred the latter because they're watching for entertainment and escapism and they lose that if their favorites constantly get offed.

Personally, they don't have to necessarily get offed to suffer a consequence. Aside from a few comments here or there, people tend to all agree with the same action. Aside from Ronon, who will always disagree with anything that isn't killing wraith, Teyla was the only one who voiced genuine criticism of wraith to human conversion. They could've had a 50/50 split of people who agree and people who disagree each presenting solid arguments.

Or they could have actual consequences. I mean, maybe the ep after SG-1 breaks protocol, they are grounded for a period of time or are under evaluation or something.

Second Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Oh yeah. And that wraith-to-human virus gives me some Mass Effect Androme Kett vibes.

First Lieutenant

Other way round! Stargate went there first, I believe

greetings LAX
    ps: Mass Effect...damned, you sadly can't unsee Mass Effect: Andromeda and Mass Effect 3

I want to send myself a message through a stargate (dialed to intersect with a solar-flare!): "Don't play Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda - signed: Lax"