Dark Horse to lose SW comic licence, Disney to give it to Marvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Horse to lose SW comic licence, Disney to give it to Marvel

Surprised I haven't seen this posted here yet...

The news many of us saw coming a while ago, but (at least to me) were not looking forward to hearing: Disney is taking the comic publishing licence away from Dark Horse (who has published SW comics since 1991, and giving it to Marvel. Marvel is a Disney-owned company, and actually originally published SW comics back in the 70s and 80s. Incidentally, those comics were awful.

So it seems that all the Dark Horse-published lines will be coming to an end prior to the licence change in 2015. I've already seen one of the authors of Legacy Vol 2 comment that they'll be ending that line with issue #18, so expect the rest to be cancelled/ended as well.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Ah yes, Marvel did not do well with the comics that last time, which was why Dark Horse took over in 1991, I think ? Marvel taking the riens next year though, hmmmm. Honestly, it was good while it lasted, personally I'd prefer IDW or TITAN publishing for the Star Wars comics myself. But that is just me

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I'm still sad about this, Dark Horse told the best EU stories.

Comment

Interestingly/disturbingly, Dark Horse won't even retain publication rights for the stories they created. All rights change over to Marvel when the license changes, including everything Dark Horse ever did. So if you want DH to get a cut, buying sooner rather than later might be a good idea.

On the future of current publications...

Dark Horse has confirmed that Omnibus: Dark Times Volume 2 will be the final Star Wars Omnibus they publish, so don't hold your breath waiting for them to collect any other lines into Omnibuses.

Agent of the Empire - Final issue was published on February 27 2013, with no plans for further issues. With the end of the licence looming, it's unlikely to be revived.

Dark Times - News of the final omnibus suggests (though does not confirm) that Dark Times' issue #36, published this past December with no news on future issues, will be the final issue of this line.

Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir - A four-issue miniseries, with its first being published on May 21 2014. If it runs monthly, its last issue will be published in August 2014.

Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows - This miniseries is ending, as was originally planned, with issue #5 on April 16 2014.

Dawn of the Jedi - Issue #15, to be published March 19 2014, will be the final issue of this line.

Legacy (Volume 2) - This line will end with issue #18. Publication date TBA, but likely to be August 2014.

Star Wars - No announcement has yet been made about the conclusion of this series. Previously, however, the writer has confirmed that he was contracted through 20 issues and believed that would be the conclusion of his responsibilities. Currently this one is scheduled through issue #17 (May 14 2014), but should it carry on to #20, expect that one in August 2014.

The Star Wars - The adaptation of the original Star Wars spec script was always intended to run for just 8 issues, and will publish its last on May 7 2014.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This is just sad. I know Disney has money to make and all but we're not going to be supporting the original creators of the comics; it's like Disney believes that they made it from the start.

IMO Star Wars should be treated as both a geeky thing and a mainstream thing; I mean if the Marvel movies are able to attract a geek fanbase, what's to stop Star Wars from doing the same; unfortunately Star Wars appeals to all ages so they have to milk that for what it's worth. Sad
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
          X