The Future of SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenton-Atlantis View Post
    Its also sad the a show like orange is the new black has a Broader Appeal then Stargate Universe
    IMO its part n parcel of the dumming down of TV Viewership. Look at how many viewers crap like honey booboo etc get..

Comment

Hmmmmm. Eh... Thanks for the feedback. I still hope books or graphic novels can be made, and I bloody well better find out if they do. I have this sneaking suspicion that the Universe knew the subject matter for the show was too high value and determined to have the show's completion forever lost to us.
      ~Draco Astreus

Comment

I love all the Sg episodes, and was disappointed when SGU suddenly went off air without planning anymore episodes, sad day indeed.
        sigpic

Comment

It's dead Jim

Also Rush was my favorite character on SGU and with Robert Carlyle now being on OUAT i much prefer his character on OUAT so if SGU were to continue i think a movie might be nice just don't take Robert Carlyle away from OUAT, on the other hand i feel you can't really have SGU without Rush unless your like oh his life pod got damaged he didn't make it or something, but i don't feel that SGU would be the same without Rush

Furthermore Ming-Na is now in Agents of Shield, but i don't feel as strongly about Ming-Na's characters on either SGU or AOS
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by MossPlanktor View Post
            I love all the Sg episodes, and was disappointed when SGU suddenly went off air without planning anymore episodes, sad day indeed.
            They had a 5-year run planned with SGU, but the show was cancelled due to low ratings. So we'll never know what was in those future episodes.

Comment

The whole Netflix concept of reviving Stargate is going to get some attention in Joe M's blog tonight. Something on the order of why it would never work. Just in case any of you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                It's dead Jim

Also Rush was my favorite character on SGU and with Robert Carlyle now being on OUAT i much prefer his character on OUAT so if SGU were to continue i think a movie might be nice just don't take Robert Carlyle away from OUAT, on the other hand i feel you can't really have SGU without Rush unless your like oh his life pod got damaged he didn't make it or something, but i don't feel that SGU would be the same without Rush

Furthermore Ming-Na is now in Agents of Shield, but i don't feel as strongly about Ming-Na's characters on either SGU or AOS
                It does suck when one of the key characters for a show you like that got canned, is in another one and is ALSO a key character there.. Do you pull him from the new one to revive the older one or not?
                As to Ming-na, i agree Wray was becoming a bit player in the latter eps of season 2.
                But i consider her "May" character a key player for agents of shield.

Comment

I would give my first born child for more Stargate. It would have to be SG-1 though, not sure SGU would be worth it...possibly my second born :\

I think SGU could continue as a web series as many people have said, any actors that couldn't return due to other commitments could just "die" in their pods and the sets could easily be done with CGI. I believe its very doable but whether or not it will is any ones guess...unfortunately I don't think SGU, SGA or SG-1 will ever be coming back

The only hope we have is that they create a new show or reboot the entire thing...but that will be for a whole new generation of fans, it wouldn't be the Stargate we grew up with.

Comment

Originally posted by maxrpg View Post
                    I would give my first born child for more Stargate. It would have to be SG-1 though, not sure SGU would be worth it...possibly my second born :\

I think SGU could continue as a web series as many people have said, any actors that couldn't return due to other commitments could just "die" in their pods and the sets could easily be done with CGI. I believe its very doable but whether or not it will is any ones guess...unfortunately I don't think SGU, SGA or SG-1 will ever be coming back

The only hope we have is that they create a new show or reboot the entire thing...but that will be for a whole new generation of fans, it wouldn't be the Stargate we grew up with.
                    I would settle for any "space capable" opera for now. I don't call the shows like continuum or intelligence or even defiance as proper sci fi... i need me some space battles.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      They had a 5-year run planned with SGU, but the show was cancelled due to low ratings. So we'll never know what was in those future episodes.
                      The ratings system is like corrupt legislatures in large countries, really.
                      • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                      • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                      • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Mardus View Post
                        The ratings system is like corrupt legislatures in large countries, really.
                        Yup, it stuffs everyone equally.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

This is essentially a continuation of the previous post.

The easiest way to gauge ratings is with IPTV, which is something that's really extensive here in Estonia, but much less so elsewhere. IPTV is offered by a major combo (as in tv, phone, net) provider, and they have online video rentals through a set-top box; IIRC, a 24h or 48-hour rental of "The Cloud Atlas" was like €2.45, which is alot cheaper than an individual disc.

B-movies are sold for a euro in malls; expensive movie DVD's are like 10–12€, and Blu-Ray discs are usually in the order of 16–20€.

So, B-movie DVD's sometimes appear in malls out of nowhere in heaps of large wicker boxes, and appear to be leftovers. In a rather similar way I got the awesome "Tucker and Dale against Evil" for like one euro or so.

And a reasonably-priced movie ticket is 4–6€. Counting in the fact that actors are not always available because of other work, means that an SGU movie or trilogy is more logical, and, given the chance, would allow all the actors who right now are busy with other projects to eventually commit fully to any upcoming SGU show _were it greenlighted after the movies. That's like a long-term scenario.

The trouble with movies is that MGM only owns tv rights, and Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin own movie rights, whereas SGU has shown that Brad and Rob are able to pull off excellent stories, action, and magic. Trying to put just these things together would be a fair amount of work. Suppose if Emmerich and Devlin, busy with ID:Forever, could give just SGU feature rights à la "Roland Emmerich presents", and allow Brad and Rob to run the show, then this would be awesome.

Even if the above were resolved, financing would still be an issue. There might be a silver lining in how "The Cloud Atlas" was financed, though it did take alot of effort by Wachowski siblings to pull it off, and Cloud Atlas is essentially an independent movie. A great independent movie. btw, If anyone's thinking of an SGU director, then Wachowskis are right now my favourites to direct an SGU trilogy; with Joe, Rob, and Brad behind the story. Not sure how that would work, but it would be very interesting.

Now, if anyone thinks that SGU won't have a market, then the successes of "The Cloud Atlas" and "Gravity" movies shows that there actually is a very sophisticated market for space-based cinema and television. "Gravity" itself was supported and promoted by real-life space scientists, and anyone who had worked in science fiction.

The U.S. television market is strange, as its current offerings seems to vascillate diametrically between reality (anything reality) and ultimate escapades (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad).

Overall, "Emmerich Presents...", in the fashion of some other accomplished directors like Tarantino and Spielberg, would lead action credence to an SGU feature.

Well, my thoughts so far.
                          Last edited by Mardus; 05 February 2014, 09:21 PM. Reason: scenario
                          • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                          • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Are you really trying to compare SGU to Cloud Atlas??
                            Why not just compare SGA to DS:9 or B5, they all have a static setting, so they are the same, right??
                            LOL
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Are you really trying to compare SGU to Cloud Atlas??
                              Why not just compare SGA to DS:9 or B5, they all have a static setting, so they are the same, right??
                              LOL
                              I was comparing how an SGU movie could possibly be financed. SGU and Cloud Atlas have their differences and similarities.

Comment

Working...
                              X