The Future of SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future of SGU

Hey all... I'm sure no one remembers my brief visits to this forum some years ago, but I have returned with an important question. First off, last I heard the SGU sets were being preserved in studios paid for by David Hewlett... I presume by this stage that has ended and the sets have been deconstructed and/or destroyed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So my real question is, what's the latest news on the continuation of the show in other forms? I remember hearing a promise from the writers that the SGU story, intended to take 5 seasons, would be continued somehow, potentially through books. I feel the story of SGU was extremely good and I was excited to see where it would go, and how my theories would pan out. Does anyone know what became of this promise?
    ~Draco Astreus

meh
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; 19 January 2014, 03:29 AM. Reason: blah
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It was never a promise that it would continue, it was a promise that Brad and Rob would do their best to continue it, not that it would
      iirc they wanted to do a movie. However since MGM went bankrupt, and the DVD market (which from what i inferred, was a pretty big income source for Stargate) crashed it pretty much died.

It's also why the SG1 movie and SGA movie were never done: they got their money from DVD's and that market is, well, gone. almost literally.

Comment

Why couldn't they move on to the Blu-ray market then?
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

meh
          Last edited by Gatefan1976; 19 January 2014, 03:29 AM. Reason: blah
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Methinks the Blu-ray situation is much the same.
            it is. Despite what people think blu-ray is not replacing DVDs. I think downloading off the Internet is the real competition
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

meh
              Last edited by Gatefan1976; 19 January 2014, 03:30 AM. Reason: blah
              sigpic

Comment

If they really, honest to gods, wanted to do the movies, they could easily do them with crowdsourcing. Especially nowadays with Kickstarter and whatnot. At least SG-1 and SGA movies, maybe even SGU (the one I'd like to see the most). With most actors naturally moved on, it gets more difficult every year. I think it could still be doable; after all, a movie or three is a lot easier to fit into an actor's schedule than a series of 20 episodes.

Here's to hoping MGM comes to their senses. The last thing I'd want to see is a reboot or a continuation of the original movie. It would feel like a slap on the face for a series franchise fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Yup, but not just that, the illegal downloading of stuff.
                  of course. Places like Netflix and Amazon damage the DVD market. Why pay $30 for a DVD season when I can watch multiple shows for less than $10 a month
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Joseph Mallozzi's Weblog has addressed these type of inquiries quite often and in fact very recently. It might just be my impression, but he dismissed kickstarter campaigns because they just don't have the ability to raise enough money to do a proper sci-fi project. He did seem to indicate that some sort of Stargate graphic novel might be a good vehicle to show MGM that interest was still out there for a new Stargate feature.

If there ever was a franchise that could rise from the dead it would be Stargate. Getting the meatpuppets back would be the easy part. MGM's going to have to see a need in the market before they greenlight anything. I think the days of Direct to DVD projects are long gone, In fact, the whole DVD/BluRay industry doesn't have much to look forward to either. It's going to take a Amazon Prime or Netflix digital download production to make something like Stargate come back to life.

It used to be that time worked against canceled shows and their resurrection chances, but now, I believe it might actually be a benefit. It might be a while, but I still believe we'll see more Stargate one day.

Comment

I still believe we'll see more Stargate one day.
                      i do too, i just don't want to wait 20 years.

Comment

If any Stargate should be continues I think it should be SGU. SG-1 ended good, I was happy with it. SGA ended well but a movie would do to finalize the series. SGU on the other hand ended suddenly in the plot line. Maybe three movies would do but I think they shouldn't wait too much if they want to continue it. Because the actors age, people age maybe they won't be so interested in the series anymore. I would really like a SGU continuetion it finished just when it got real interesting.

Comment

I have also hoped for years that they will make new DVD movies, but it seems they are never gonna happen. They have sold or demolished the most important and expensive sets.

A kickstarter campaign would begood, but even Ark of Truth cost 7 million and Continuum cost 10 million dollars if I remember the financial details well. And even the price of ads are not included. Are you sure that we could collect 10 million dollar? I don't think so, but it would be worth of trying it.

If every fan could spend donate only 1 dollar around the globe... But I think that even the money transfer would cost more.

And those who will spend more than 10$ on it they could have a very simply packed copy of the DVD. (Later you can still buy the more expensive one with extras.)

And if it fails and we don't reach the minimum budget then the collected money could still go to a Stargate actor related charity (like Sanctuary for Kids).

But I am still dreaming...
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I remembered this page :

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT-DVD.php

Stargate - The Ark of Truth
                            DVD Sales Performance
                            Released on DVD: March 11, 2008
                            DVD Units Sold: 536,688
                            Consumer Spending: $8,966,504

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGCT-DVD.php

Stargate - Continuum
                            Released on DVD: July 29, 2008
                            DVD Units Sold: 465,274
                            Consumer Spending: $7,878,913

So if we can believe these numbers they were not so successfull in the USA as they expected. But I believe these numbers are not accurate and the worlwide sales are not included. I don't know.

On the other hand if "only" half million people bought it and even if everybody could donate 5 dollars then 2,5 million dollar wouldn't be enough for a new DVD movie.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I remembered this page :

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT-DVD.php

Stargate - The Ark of Truth
                              DVD Sales Performance
                              Released on DVD: March 11, 2008
                              DVD Units Sold: 536,688
                              Consumer Spending: $8,966,504

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGCT-DVD.php

Stargate - Continuum
                              Released on DVD: July 29, 2008
                              DVD Units Sold: 465,274
                              Consumer Spending: $7,878,913

So if we can believe these numbers they were not so successfull in the USA as they expected. But I believe these numbers are not accurate and the worlwide sales are not included. I don't know.

On the other hand if "only" half million people bought it and even if everybody could donate 5 dollars then 2,5 million dollar wouldn't be enough for a new DVD movie.
                              what were the blu ray sales for continuum? that would up the consumer spending total for that movie.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X