• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mis Dos Padres (211)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    MIS DOS PADRES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 211
    Monroe's newly rediscovered son makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with him when he takes him to his boss, and Rachel and Miles must mount a reluctant rescue. Meanwhile Neville finds a new reason to take down his wife's new husband, and Gene tries to rescue a friend from the Patriots.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 February 2014, 09:32 PM.

Mis Dos Padres
    Spoiler:
    So it's the episode after the start of the second half of Revolution and here's what you're going to expect if you're new. Sword fights, character drama, twisted analogies and if you've followed the series since the beginning, you know that it's all going to be underwhelming. But hold on, maybe there's a glimmer of light with this episode...

The primary plot of this episode has to be the exploration of Mexico as a rich republic which comes from approaching a drug lord's house similar to the Season 1 episode "Sex & Drugs"; now you can see the twisted world mechanic at work. Mexicans singing Spanish versions of rock songs, parties with a working pool, it's like what they have in the US isn't worth it and the proposed luxuries are going to pale in comparison to Mexico's; it almost makes you ignore the fact that the parties are nonstop, giving question as to whether or not it's a lifestyle choice or if it's there just so the differences can be contrasted.

Who's the person living in the house, a drug lord who just so happens to be there to create a father/father/son conflict/triangle. While he does have the looks and some of the personality, he doesn't exactly has the nobleness. It's like someone watched Scarface a bit too many times and decided to mix him up with Donald Trump and decided to make a funny reference to it in the show. However, he is humble I have to give him that and he does speak Spanish effectively; it almost makes me want to believe that this guy is Connor's surrogate father, that he did raise him to be his second hand man. But as much as I want to believe it, I can't. Especially through the forcing of being seen as weak and the writers attempts to create said triangle. Really, doesn't the audience have any idea what can be seen as attempts at compensation?

Dead body shot.

We don't get much of him because the episode is just one big setup for the ubiquitous Miles/Monroe/Rachel escape/fight scene which seems to be filled to the brim with 101 basics. You've got your Miles comes in and kicks ass, Miles fails and gets captured, Rachel comes in to save the day but there's a twist. You've got father and son mechanics mixed in so it doesn't get truly sterile and boring, you see Monroe sticking up for his son by pretending to be captured and you also see Connor doing the same thing and as a plus; those things mess things up with his surrogate father which elevates the scene from "meh" to "decent" and you gotta admit, the utilization of throat slashing and normal objects was better than the first season which makes the action enjoyable and engaging; odd huh? The only downside was that the entire plot felt like a Telenovela with it's focus on fatherly issues and it's odd lighting, even Connor's "father" looks like one of those Mexican actors and if you manage to block the subtitles than the comparisons become even more justified. I signed up for an action adventure drama, not a spanish soap opera.

You do get some action with Charlie and Rachel's Dad and it apparently involves a base that states that they're expanding. You get the stakeouts and engagement which pretends to be an actiony plot but it's there to disguise the fact that the entire ordeal is drawn out and stretched; every scene shown is long and pointless and they don't do nothing to reveal anything until the very end where we see sick people in some sort of sick state that just screams that this is Patriot related unless otherwise stated. Sure, they try to misdirect you by saying it's natural but then again, it was an obvious guess and while you do get some Charlie/Rachel's Father interaction that shows that the two should have a spinoff show together, these scenes are best left avoided.

Same with the Aaron and Percilla plot; this plot while not revealing anything unique (with the exception that Percilla helped) does sort of explain for the general audience what type of religious backdrop exists; almost as if it was trying to neglect the niche audience and still go for the mainstream audience that left them a long time ago. You get stuff like the code for the brain has always been inside them, there are millions out there, they form a superbrain, they're trying to find their parents, they can perform magical feats such as kill people and heal people and then the episode decides to compare it to god, one of the things that has been obviously present since Day 1. I did not care for this lengthy explanation but there is Aaron essentially lying to her past wife and trying to hide the shame that he does not have nanites anymore, it's hilarious mainly because it's a poor excuse of character writing and it does nothing to develop Aaron's character, only harm it. I'm beginning to wonder why they even though of Aaron in the first place.

Paaartay!

Lastly. Nevil and Julia's plot takes a turn from the "movin' on up" like plot that's dominated their entire arc since the second half of the season started. While we do see them moving on up, there's none of that "poison characters here" or "assassinate this character" there, more so it's kind of like a revenge plot of Nevil trying to get his way while commenting on Julia's husband habits, which does more harm than good to the plot. I can understand, Julia feels the love and need she gets from her husband, Nevil does not like them together and wants to get the evidence for them to move on up and that does create drama but I need something more if this show wants to retain me as a critic; especially considering that the whole fake husband thing has been done to death. The best thing about the plot has to be where Jason unveils stage 2 of the plot to be worse than the Militia, the slaughtering your own kind which I have to admit does give kind of a rustic and twisted vision to the world we thought we knew and the fact that Jason gets taken away leads to further opportunities.

At the end, that glimmer of light is not found but it's still shining through. Better than the last episode, this episode delivers what people want from Revolution and does not deliver what people really want from Revolution. There is something to enjoy for the common ground people such as humorous comments and twisted perspectives but you'd have to watch the entire series just to appreciate it and you know you don't want to suffer through the first half of Season 1. Anyways, see you next week.
    5.0/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

I liked this episode, especially how you saw that Julia was merely trying to be the one in charge from Tom or Victor. I doubt we'll see much more of Mexico anymore, although they may fight against the Patriots should they encroach on them.

When you think about it, you have millions of people who suddenly hear that the US government is back and is taking care of the people, you might just abandon your support of Govenor Affleck, General Carver or your tribe leader and join with the Patriots.

BTW Zombies Rise from the Seas, you never seem to like anything

Comment

On the CHarlie-gramps scene, you just knew that this outbreak has to be related to the 'inoculation' in the orange from last week..

Comment

I really liked the episode a lot. I loved Miles, Rachel, and Monroe and all the stuff in Mexico. I'm really liking Connor, I like his messed up relationship with Monroe. I also really liked Jason in this episode. I wish they would do more with the character. I thought Tom and Julia, and Charlie and Gene were great as well. I find the whole Patriot storyline interesting.

The nanite storyline with Aaron, Priscilla, and Grace was also pretty interesting for the most part. I'm not sure I like the addition of Priscilla as the nanites "mommy" though(it feels like that came out of nowhere). It also kind of seems like they changed the nanites reasoning for attaching themselves to Aaron(in order to make the Priscilla thing work). In the episode before the break, they said they chose him because he woke them up(through his actions at the tower), not because he created them(through the use of his code by Grace and co).
          Last edited by VampyreWraith; 17 January 2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            BTW Zombies Rise from the Seas, you never seem to like anything
            I do. It's just hard to come by.
            Back from the grave.

Comment

I really don't like the Miles/Rachel relationship stuff. It seems way to forced and weird.

I guess this episode was alright and, yes, the oranges definitely have to do with the outbreak. This is obviously one of the dark plans of the Patriots Jason discovered. Make people sick, let some die, and then cure them to insure their love and loyalty to your cause.

I haven't seen any of season one in a long time, but it sure seems to me that when they first showed the Aaron/Priscilla relationship they established that it started after he was wealthy and famous, not while he was still in school. So how did she get involved with writing the code? If I am wrong please tell me. I haven't seen that episode since it originally aired. All I know is that when Aaron said she helped all I could think was that it didn't make sense because he would have written it before he met her. I'm sure I am wrong, so don't hesitate to tell me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                This is obviously one of the dark plans of the Patriots Jason discovered. Make people sick, let some die, and then cure them to insure their love and loyalty to your cause.
                As if explosions, getting rid of an evil clan and bringing Oranges wasn't enough.

I'd like to think that their plans go deeper than that, in that they're not trying to cure them but they're trying to instill a final solution, one that would ensure total dominance. In a way I like it because it's dark and twisted; a difference from the whole "we're worse than the militia" that has been going on the entire season.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  I really liked the episode a lot. I loved Miles, Rachel, and Monroe and all the stuff in Mexico. I'm really liking Connor, I like his messed up relationship with Monroe. I also really liked Jason in this episode. I wish they would do more with the character. I thought Tom and Julia, and Charlie and Gene were great as well. I find the whole Patriot storyline interesting.

The nanite storyline with Aaron, Priscilla, and Grace was also pretty interesting for the most part. I'm not sure I like the addition of Priscilla as the nanites "mommy" though(it feels like that came out of nowhere). It also kind of seems like they changed the nanites reasoning for attaching themselves to Aaron(in order to make the Priscilla thing work). In the episode before the break, they said they chose him because he woke them up(through his actions at the tower), not because he created them(through the use of his code by Grace and co).
                  Yea, it does seem like they are trying to ham in more and more people as to why they awoke, just to string out why..

Comment

Working...
                  X