• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Amigos (210)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    THREE AMIGOS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 210
    Miles reluctantly agrees to help Monroe locate his son, who was secretly sent away into Mexico as a child. Tom and Julia undertake a plan to elevate his position among the Patriot hierarchy, and Aaron sets out with a clue left by the nanites.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 February 2014, 09:32 PM.

Three Amigos
    Spoiler:
    So Revolution is back and of course this means that I have 11 episodes to suffer through watch. Don't worry, for those of you wondering; it's back with it's good acting and I think that's about it and we have a special episode that introduces several plot threads pertaining to this season.

For one thing you have Aaron and his quest towards Spring City which lasts for surprisingly one episode; we can get his need to make up for what he did and what the death of Cynthia is but what we can't get is how surprisingly poorly plotted it is; sure it's emotional but there's barely any unique basis. All it is is "he's doing this because of the death of Cynthia/he's doing it because of Rachel's father" and the worst part about it is that Aaron barely shows any emotion and that's a massive downgrade from what happened before because Aaron actually acted better before; we don't get to see Aaron's tribulations, we don't get to see Aaron's pain, all we get to see is flashy production and cheesiness that equates to a bad Syfy original movie than a professional drama series.

Okay, what about Charlie/Rachel's Fathers story. This involves one of the things Revolution is becoming known for, the surprises and right now the surprises are becoming tiring. It's like they're following a calculated formula. Show X, reveal Y, really reveal Z and the worst part about it is that the reveal isn't really worth anything. It's just a reflection of how bad the Patriots are, inoculating oranges so that the youth can bend to their whim. Really, there's more to a show than just surprises. Lost had character moments that more than made up for the lack of surprises and even though it contained cliffhanger endings, it didn't overuse those moments or made up Surprises just to shock the audience. If you're going to use your mysteries than you better save them because right now you're using them all up like bottles of coke; sure, they're good surprises but let's look at the bigger picture here.

Rest in Peace.

The most pivotal important thing has to be Rachel, Monroe and Miles (forming the awkward love triangle) heading out to Mexico to find his son and that has to be the best plot by default mainly because it's the one that involves the most effort; you get a sense for Monroe as he seems eager to reunite with his son, eager enough to show brevity, anxiousness and shock all in one. It's one of the best performances of the episode, if you just look closely at his face, look closely at the emotions he is forming then you'll believe that he is actually in the situation himself, being shocked at the sight of his son, wanting to bond with his son and while it may seem like there are times where the entire thing just might seem like a Hallmark picture well they trick you because what good would Revolution be if it were a Hallmark picture; you get your usual edge and your usual action which makes it more than just an average father/son plot, which is good because it gives you more of a reason to watch throughout the season.

As for the other characters, Miles and Rachel stay out of the way and put on the most forced love plot I have ever seen, it seems like ever since the last episode they have dropped all subtly and just pronounced that they were in love. Well unless somebody ships Miles and Monroe together, we're stuck with this, a love thread that has no growth potential, no nuances and nothing to grab you; while we do get to see Miles and Rachel utilize their lines and dialogue growth for good effect, it is ultimately insubstantial. Monroe's son Connor does seem to be a bit good even though he reminds me of Season 1 Monroe, he certainly has the looks, he certainly has some emotion and he certainly has the potential to be grown and groomed throughout the 2nd Season, the fact that he has 30 men behind him makes him a threat while being grounded to her mothers death makes him more sensible and more relatable. The only flaw is that they keep referring to Monroe as bad despite what Miles had done and they make him sort of like Monroe. The surprise that Monroe wants him to rule by his side is decent but I wanted to see Monroe as a father figure, not as a leader. Still, he'll be good as long as they don't make him like a clone of Monroe.

The Gangup.

Lastly we close out with Nevil and his wife which continues the power play introduced in "Everyone Says I Love You", Honestly while it's interesting to see Nevil and his wife interact; it's going to be the same as before which is kill one guy, try to move up the charts, suffer through obviously plotted moments and there are a lot of obviously plotted moments such as Neville obviously stalling so that he can fail and get into that moment with his wife and Jason getting a chance to read secret documents that obviously aren't revealed to the general audience. Though I will admit it helps the mystery and though I also admit that Nevil gets a chance to become both passionate and threatening (a rarity in today's television world), it makes the scenes feel forced and fabricated. Still, good for them for trying to raise up to the top, we need a couple of underdogs focused on power in order to give them something to do. Plus it was nice to see some action in the White House which I'm guessing was mostly casual and presentatory and to meet most of the White House staff was a pleasure.

So this is a disapointing start to a second half of the season; much of the episode while decently plotted is boring and much of it contains regressions to Season 1 material. The series is starting to wear out it's welcomes when it comes to surprises and these surprises seem like gimmicks rather than actually revealing material; the love plots that are being formed are stupid and uninteresting and it seems like they're actually losing purpose when it comes to actually going above and beyond. Shame too since critics are proclaiming that this series is getting better but I guess like the analogies about supermarkets, it only seems clever.
    4.0/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

Yeah, I think this was a pretty weak episode after such a long break.

Comment

I really liked the episode, but I'm feeling too lazy/tired to write what exactly I liked about it right now lol. I'll write more tomorrow.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          I really liked the episode, but I'm feeling too lazy/tired to write what exactly I liked about it right now lol. I'll write more tomorrow.
          Do so, we need more activity around here! Praise the nanites!
          Back from the grave.

Comment

So
            Spoiler:
            it looks like we will see Grace and Aarons ex-wife(can't remember her name?
            next week. Interesting episode. The actor they got o play Monroe's son does resemble him.
            Was glad there wasn't any fighting this time(well aside from Monroe offing the carriage driver and Charlie offing the orange wagon haulers(forgot about that)since Miles arm can't be close to being healed. What were those maggot looking things that Gene applied to Miles wound?

Comment

I'm back! lol

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Miles, Monroe and Rachel are my favorite characters on the show, and they were what I liked most about this episode. Julia and Tom's part of the episode was also very interesting. Charlie and Gene were good, and Aaron finding Grace at the end was interesting as well.

I loved the antagonistic relationship between Monroe and Rachel. I thought it was great when she told him something like "I'm helping you find your son, even though you killed mine." I liked the look of regret that came across Monroe's face when she said that. I also liked it, when later in the episode, Rachel was trying to be a witch to Monroe by saying that his son was destined to be a bad person, and Monroe responded by saying, "by that logic Charlie is going to grow up and end the world".

I'm not a fan of Miles and Rachel's relationship. I find it incredibly forced, but it could be worse; at least the show doesn't really focus on the romantic side of their relationship much. I do like Miles and Rachel as friends/family(I think they work best that way), and I liked that Rachel was willing to help find Monroe's son for Miles.

I loved Monroe's reaction to seeing the town where Miles left his son. I liked the introduction to Conner, and the interaction between father and son in this episode.

I love Tom and Julia and their relationship. I find the characters and their scheming interesting.

I also really liked that Charlie was paired up with her grandfather. I liked their interaction.

Next week looks pretty interesting.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
                So
                Spoiler:
                it looks like we will see Grace and Aarons ex-wife(can't remember her name?
                next week. Interesting episode. The actor they got o play Monroe's son does resemble him.
                Was glad there wasn't any fighting this time(well aside from Monroe offing the carriage driver and Charlie offing the orange wagon haulers(forgot about that)since Miles arm can't be close to being healed. What were those maggot looking things that Gene applied to Miles wound?
                They were regular run of the mill maggots it seemed.. Good way to eat away the rotten tissue and potentially draw out the infection.

For me it was a decent intro into the 2nd half of the season, but was not as big and dramatic as i hoped.

Comment

Maggots have been successfully used recently in fighting MRSA and other bacterial infections, so I guess they used it as a good excuse not to chop off Miles arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                    Maggots have been successfully used recently in fighting MRSA and other bacterial infections, so I guess they used it as a good excuse not to chop off Miles arm.
                    I just thought it was weird they apparently let them in his arm and wrapped it up with a bandage without anyone ever checking on it again! Not to mention that Rachel just lay down next to him after her father was done with Miles, nearly up against the arm infested with maggots...
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      I just thought it was weird they apparently let them in his arm and wrapped it up with a bandage without anyone ever checking on it again! Not to mention that Rachel just lay down next to him after her father was done with Miles, nearly up against the arm infested with maggots...
                      Yea tht part was freeky to me. How could she know none of those maggots would get out and get into her?

Comment

Working...
                      X