• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magical Place (111)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON ONE
    THE MAGICAL PLACE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 111
    S.H.I.E.L.D. takes over the hunt for Centipede and their prisoner, pushing Skye out on her own. Elsewhere, Coulson is subject to mind probes aimed at uncovering the secret of his mysterious resurrection.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 24 January 2014, 10:10 PM.

I watched the episode last night, but didn't have time to write any of my thoughts down. So, just off the top of my head:

REALLY enjoyed this episode. I think this is the most I have enjoyed Skye in an ep so far, and as one podcaster said, "It's because she was channeling her inner Melinda May!" While I did bust out laughing when Skye first introduced herself as May, I did really like her throughout this episode. Perhaps that's the secret to keeping her interesting - let Skye be off away from the team doing her thing.

I had absolutely NO doubt that May was on Skye's side and her response to Hand about not being useful on the bus was absolutely truthful, but was just a ploy to get her off the bus and doing her thing. May kicked butt as usual. She and Coulson are tied for my favorite character on the show.

I loved how they handled Coulson's big secret. They answered some questions but generated a host of others. The preview for the episode showed Coulson saying, "Let me die!" and yet it was still incredibly shocking when you see and hear the circumstances. Among the very big questions still left hanging - how do you give someone a will to live???

Po was a very good bad guy, but it seemed to be the right time for him to go. Raina was terrific as usual. We cannot have seen the last of her. It can't have gone unnoticed that Po used be the only person with access to the Clairvoyant and then the Clairvoyant wanted to speak to Raina directly. That certainly feels like Raina is supposed to be the successor to Po as the link to the Clairvoyant. If the Clairvoyant was the one pulling the strings and was the reason Po was able to be broken out of jail, perhaps Raina will be freed in a similar manner? My biggest questions about Raina have to do with the memory machine. She said it had helped her in the past. What memory did she need help digging out? Who helped her to dig it out and why? Apparently the Clairvoyant couldn't see what happened to Coulson after he died, which is why they needed the machine. Was there something about Raina that the Clairvoyant couldn't see which is why she was put into the machine previously? I really hope we find out more about all this!

Agent Hand - I can't figure out whether she is a bad guy or if she just isn't a Coulson fan. Her actions play both ways. And as others have speculated, Hand could be a bad guy that isn't attached to Centipede. She may just have her own agenda. I'm kind of feeling like that's what we will find out - that Hand isn't with Centipede, but she is doing something else outside of Shield protocols. So, Maria Hill is aware of Coulson's secret. What level is she? How many people know Coulson's secret? Agent Hand is level 9 (I think), so would she be aware? Perhaps that's the source of the animosity from Hand - she doesn't trust the Coulson that came back from the dead. Could it be that simple?

Dr. Streiten (the doctor that talks to Coulson) - wonderful scene in the car. I really enjoy that actor. I actually just started watching Firefly (finally!) and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Anyway, he's another character that I hope we get to see again. I would imagine that as more information about Coulson's "revitalization" come to light, we'll see him again.

Some really fun moments included Fitz's line (after Simmons says something about Raina not being able to wear flowered clothing where she is going): "Amen to that, sister." Skye and Simmons have a safe word - "manscaping". What do they need a safe word for?!?!? But seriously, getting mind out of gutter, I'm guessing that the safe word is to alert the other person that they are being overheard. But hilarious choice of word. And Melinda's, "Nice jacket."

I can't wait to be able to watch the full episode again.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
      Agent Hand - I can't figure out whether she is a bad guy or if she just isn't a Coulson fan. Her actions play both ways. And as others have speculated, Hand could be a bad guy that isn't attached to Centipede. She may just have her own agenda. I'm kind of feeling like that's what we will find out - that Hand isn't with Centipede, but she is doing something else outside of Shield protocols. So, Maria Hill is aware of Coulson's secret. What level is she? How many people know Coulson's secret? Agent Hand is level 9 (I think), so would she be aware? Perhaps that's the source of the animosity from Hand - she doesn't trust the Coulson that came back from the dead. Could it be that simple?
      I haven't seen the episode yet, but I have a feeling that Hand will end up being connected to Robert Redford's character in Captain America 2. I think the release date for the movie lines up pretty well with a season finale timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
        I haven't seen the episode yet, but I have a feeling that Hand will end up being connected to Robert Redford's character in Captain America 2. I think the release date for the movie lines up pretty well with a season finale timeframe.
        I confess - I haven't seen any of the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and don't know Marvel comics. In some ways, it's been good not to have read the comics or seen any of the movies. I think people who have seen all the movies have more specific expectations for the show. However, the downside to not knowing anything about the Marvel comics or films (such as the fact that Robert Redford is going to be in Captain America 2) means I won't make some of the connections that others make.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. An the leather jacket and gell back hair suits Sky.

Comment

I just felt that they haven't told us anything we didn't already know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
              I completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                Eh, that's not entirely true. At least now we know that Coulson isn't an LMD.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Man what a episode. was actually in a shield chat room when episode aired and i think we all went died silent in the last 10 minutes. Yeah the preview showing coulson saying please let me die didnt truly get us ready for that scene that was just heart stopping almost to see that and mae and sky walking in on that.. Glad we are starting to get a few more answers and more questions of course pure whedon. But lovely episode cant wake for next week!
                  sigpic
                  Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                    I confess - I haven't seen any of the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and don't know Marvel comics. In some ways, it's been good not to have read the comics or seen any of the movies. I think people who have seen all the movies have more specific expectations for the show. However, the downside to not knowing anything about the Marvel comics or films (such as the fact that Robert Redford is going to be in Captain America 2) means I won't make some of the connections that others make.
                    I'm right there with you. I came into this show simply because I wanted to support Joss Whedon's newest television venture. I thought I'd hang around for an episode or two but that it wouldn't really be my thing (because historically speaking comic books or the other things they spawn haven't done much for me). But I am enjoying this show. I have been wondering, though, if my expectations are different because I have no knowledge of the Universe in which the events take place.
                    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Skye are most useful when she work outside the system(off the team).
                      And it is so hilarious when she channel inner Melinda May as her introduce herself as May, also Skye getting revenge on May!! And she take the guy Lamborghini is a nice touch. Ward teach her well!!
                      "Nice Jacket!!" - May compliment to her!!

Ward teach you how to interrogate a suspect in an airplane: open a air lock while you are secure in the air lock/interrogation room. The suspect will tell you everything!!

Director Fury is it using some SHIELD version of mass effect Lazarus project to bring Coulson back? Coulson had been dead for days!! Just like Mass effect Shepard!! And does any of the world security council member know?
                      But it is unethical like the doctor said, no good doctor would allow this type of procedure. Is it involve alien tech?
                      Why operate seven times? Could it be related to other Marvel character? Poor Coulson by the way .....

For some reason, I don't trust Agent Hand.

Mike Peterson is not dead, just lost a leg and implanted with eye ball device!!
                      The clairvoyant is it may related Robert Redford's character in CA 2 and may be Ultron in Avenger 2?? I said this because of the device that kill PO similar to Iron Man 1 sonic weapon!!
                      sigpic

Comment

WEll they are definitely setting up shield to be the big bad for Cap Am 2.. so i can see there being some shady stuff going on prior.

Comment

Working...
                        X