Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destiny's mission is a pipe dream for Rush and Earth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's mission is a pipe dream for Rush and Earth.

Re-watching Season 2 of SGU made it even more clear that Rush's plan to stay on Destiny with the crew to complete Destiny's objective seems like a pipedream.

The reason is that Destiny has been travelling along on this course for millions of years and doing whatever it is doing [Collecting data on the structure]

Why does Rush think that any of the crews natural life span will be long enough to see Destiny complete its mission?

If the show had one throw away line saying "Destiny has almost finished compiling what it needs" then I would be satisfied.

But to me it seems extremely hopeful that Destiny will complete this mission before everyone on the ship dies, also depending how long it takes humanity might of learnt to ascend by then and then they would already know about this message thing.

there has been a lot of discussion this is subject in some threads, some users had some great answers sadly I don't know what threads they were and what the answers were lol

Comment

I think (considering that the writers intended for SGU to be a 5 year story), that the crew would eventually get back to Earth safe and sound. I presume that the Lucian Alliance members would stay behind on a planet and start a new life on it, thus, bringing the Lucian Alliance to its end after Stargate Homeworld would succeed in disassembling The Trust, the Lucian Alliance and similar (re-)established illegal & criminal organizations back on Earth. Rush would definitely stay on Destiny even after the ship would complete its mission (the guy was obsessed with the 9th chevron thing). Since the "Twin Destinies" incident happened, I don't believe anyone on the ship would be willing to actually go home, but would eventually accept the mission and wait for the Stargate Homeworld to go fully public with the Stargate program so their families wouldn't freak out seeing their dead relatives/friends suddenly come back to life. T.J. would probably get her cure thanks to Eli and dr. Rush and so on. I don't think the writers would've had another important character die. I believe that 90 % of the people on Destiny would live so they could see the ship completing its mission, whatever that was.

Comment

From the state of Destiny, it clearly to its operational sale by date, I suspect we would have have found out that it completed its mission long before us humans came aboard her.

Comment

I have a hunch that Destiny wasn't actually going to complete it's own mission but was simply going to continue for as long as it could until it was destroyed.

I think the mission itself was people boarding it via the stargate to review the data it had collected and put the pieces together. THAT is what the mission was and Rush clearly knew this. He says he is on the verge of discovering the true nature of destinys mission and I think thats what was happening - Destiny was just recording whatever it found while following a path that some of the seedships laid out for it. I don't think the ship ever had any intention of solving it's own mission, it was simply going to continue for as long as it could until someone used it for something useful.

Comment

I believe that Destinys mission was to investigate "The anomalous signal" in the background radiation that was mentioned by Dr. Rush.

If a conherent signal was discovered in the background radiation, it could've been an echo from a previous civilization in a previous universal form. Or it could be a sign that the universe was "constructed".

Destinys mission would've been to uncover and investigate said signal and determine it's origins. Her course may have been to travel to the edge of the universe(if that's possible) where there would be less radiation interference from standard stellar phenomenon and gather as much intel as possible before reporting it back the the ancients through the stargate. (considering that it was supposed to be ancients on board, they could had a Z.P.M or two to power the stargate) But as you know, they were wiped out by the plague and discovered ascension before their plans came to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
              Re-watching Season 2 of SGU made it even more clear that Rush's plan to stay on Destiny with the crew to complete Destiny's objective seems like a pipedream.

The reason is that Destiny has been travelling along on this course for millions of years and doing whatever it is doing [Collecting data on the structure]

Why does Rush think that any of the crews natural life span will be long enough to see Destiny complete its mission?

If the show had one throw away line saying "Destiny has almost finished compiling what it needs" then I would be satisfied.

But to me it seems extremely hopeful that Destiny will complete this mission before everyone on the ship dies, also depending how long it takes humanity might of learnt to ascend by then and then they would already know about this message thing.
              Yeah the series definitely hadn't progressed far enough to really disclose whether Destiny may have been close to completing it's mission or not. Had it continued, it's possible that either the crew would have figured that out.

I also wonder, given what Rush has said about understanding the signal and what the implications of that could be, if perhaps there would be some sort of secret that would allow them to participate in Destiny's mission well beyond their natural limits... who knows. That might be a bit too fanciful for SGU.

Comment

2/5ths through the story??
                No clear mission??
                Gimmie a break, movies do it in 3 hours, let alone 30
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It's not a show about a mission though, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    2/5ths through the story??
                    No clear mission??
                    Gimmie a break, movies do it in 3 hours, let alone 30
                    Sorry but that doesn't seem to be a logical argument. If one were to pick up Lord of the Rings, book 1, then you'd only be a third of the way through the plot/story, despite "the Hobbit" being finished in a single book. Isn't that the same?

Anyway, back to the OP's question:
                    At a conceptual level, if the mission ever finished, at some time there will be a point six months before that. Therefore, Rush could have joined Destiny six months before the mission completes. It is just a small probability.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      It's not a show about a mission though, is it?
                      No, it's not.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                        Sorry but that doesn't seem to be a logical argument. If one were to pick up Lord of the Rings, book 1, then you'd only be a third of the way through the plot/story, despite "the Hobbit" being finished in a single book. Isn't that the same?
                        Umm, by the end of The Fellowship of the ring, the "mission" is clear.
                        Anyway, back to the OP's question:
                        At a conceptual level, if the mission ever finished, at some time there will be a point six months before that. Therefore, Rush could have joined Destiny six months before the mission completes. It is just a small probability.
                        As the Destiny crew have been on board for close to a year over the 2 seasons, there is NO probability of that.
                        I would buy however that a "human element" is required to complete the mission.
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree... the mission of destiny can be done better and quicker... make a ship with asgard hyperdrives(the ones which asgard used and not the ones which were on daedlus).. the speed calculated by me is atleast 240 light years/second(it travelled with prometheus in tow, for 5 seconds over 1200 light years)... that makes about 48 days for 1 billion light years... which also means you can pretty much travel to any place in the universe... equip this ship with stasis pods and asgard weapons and shields for protection... equip it with ancient database and asgard database in the asgard core(to counter problems on the fly with the asgard tech of manufacturing anything from simple energy)... and just go to anyplace you want... there is no need for super slow destiny...

this too is not needed as the ancient and asgard database is enough... ascension took destiny out of the equation for ancients...

Comment

It can possibly be done better "now", but not tens of thousands of years ago when the ship was built. And I doubt the current regime would fund a high-end ship for a one-way research trip.

Also, is the maths right: if it was three weeks just to cross from Milky Way to Pegasus, I think we're talking more than twice that for a billion light years

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                              It can possibly be done better "now", but not tens of thousands of years ago when the ship was built. And I doubt the current regime would fund a high-end ship for a one-way research trip.

Also, is the maths right: if it was three weeks just to cross from Milky Way to Pegasus, I think we're talking more than twice that for a billion light years
                              the pegasus is 3 million light years away which is about 333 times less than a billion light years... the asgard hyperdrives on daedelus aren't the best... as i told, the asgard ship of thor travelled 1200 light years in 5 seconds(damn) and that too with prometheus in tow(season 6 episode unnatural selection)... with those asgard drives you could reach pegasus in 3.5 hours only... the asgard drives are toooo quick as even thor said in that episode that with "prometheus" in tow it would take hours to get back to our home galaxy where the replicator territory is... which means without prometheus it would be much much quicker... in season 8 start when sam is captured by fifth thor's ship is going back and forth our galaxies like it is travelling a few light years only... asgard hyperdrives are the ultimate form of travel....

and i am not saying that such a mission will be approved as i said the mission is useless anyways... you can travel that far(i am sure the asgard have pretty musch travelled the whole universe) for exploration only but not for the mission because ancients found ascension and destiny predated that time and there is no need for it... we have all we can handle with asgard and ancient databases, why try to get to the end of the universe for a signal when ascention is the actual reward for it anyways and that is why the ancients didn't bother with destiny after it was launched...

and according to real evidences the ship is 30-50 million years old and not just tens of thousands of years... i made a timeline about it here...

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...vies%28imo-%29

Comment

Working...
                              X