SG1 and technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 and technology?

Do you think we should have seen the team use some of the procured technology they had more often?

The Goa'uld healing device for one probably would have been useful as Carter had a moderate understanding of it (healing Cronus) and it wasn't a piece of tech that was really going to get in the way.

The mimic devices from 'Foothold', as far as I can remember from Smoke & Mirrors, anything that is scanned can be recorded to the device to appear as that person as a hologram, and it holds up to 12 stored images, could they have had a better use for this off world, as they did in Smoke & Mirrors?

The Asgard holographic technology, think it was in 'Bounty',could have been very handy in situations (although it would have to have been configured a bit).

Would this have been better to see in SG1 missions, or better left as it was?

Should they? Perhaps. But remember if they procure a single item of X, then using it would be more of a waste than studying it at Area 51. Even if you have two of X, you should study it. But if you for example can come across the Zat and even procure it from your allies, then yes, they should carry that weapon.

Not to mention, equipment the military uses has to be field tested. Not only to make sure it works, but it works well when dropped, hit, dirty, wet, etc. Also that it can be used by anyone with some training and it is not unwieldy.
    Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
      Do you think we should have seen the team use some of the procured technology they had more often?

The Goa'uld healing device for one probably would have been useful as Carter had a moderate understanding of it (healing Cronus) and it wasn't a piece of tech that was really going to get in the way.

The mimic devices from 'Foothold', as far as I can remember from Smoke & Mirrors, anything that is scanned can be recorded to the device to appear as that person as a hologram, and it holds up to 12 stored images, could they have had a better use for this off world, as they did in Smoke & Mirrors?

The Asgard holographic technology, think it was in 'Bounty',could have been very handy in situations (although it would have to have been configured a bit).

Would this have been better to see in SG1 missions, or better left as it was?

The teams many victories were already improbable. Somehow the team led by an incompetent leader managed to defeat the goauld multiple times. It got to the point of farce where toward the end the show became absurdly campy with O neill destroying any dramatic tension by referring to the show's main villain as "cliche"

The first few seasons blew me away though

Comment

The series could do without some of the filler episodes, some unnecessary stories and allow for at least of some of the procured technology to be used more often, instead of becoming more political at some point. SG-1 gets really boring in S08 and the last 2 seasons (although I think they're great in their own way) have a little growth in quality, but they can't be even compared to the first 7 seasons. Most of the procured technology is mostly seen in its debut episodes and maybe an episode or two after that on occasion, but nothing beyond that, except for all the talk about it being moved to Area 51. The same goes for the other two series.

Comment

I think some technology that is never mentioned is because they haven't been able to duplicate it or fully understand it. That part I understand. I also understand that we have heard of technology more than a handful of times as well and that I also understand. Sometimes you have a breakthrough which greatly accelerates it's development.

I do not think SG1 was incompetent but more of the Goa'uld were. Yes there were episodes where SG1 pulls off unlikely victories but many shows have that. They are the heroes afterall.

The Goa'uld have always been underwhelming in their military honestly. They were these heavy and clanky armor that after perhaps the first two seasons they were useless to SG1 guns of any kind. The staff weapon had a low rate of fire gives up the position of who is firing it (which guns normally do not do BTW), and their tactics are basically from WW1. Charge people firing at you, do some cover, go in close for close combat etc. Hardly any heavy weapons beyond a staff weapon. Lastly, their leaders as in the Goa'uld suck as military leaders.
          Hi There!

Comment

I agree with the sentiment - the use of technologies they got their hands on.

I even imagine it sometimes, like say Sam with a hand-device (we know she can at least use the shockwave...getting the energy-shield to work should not be that hard) or the team getting attachments to their guns that fire zat-blasts (because let's face it, a Zat, while looking cool is not all that accurate over longer distances) or the shockwave from the handmodule (like a modern version of a shotgun-attachment) or even earth build energy-guns (staffweapon like components in an earth build shell)....hell even some basic-goa'uld-like energy-shields would have made them surviving countless times more believable...

i was most dissapointed that they didn't try their hand at copying and improving on a the Kul-Warrior-Armor (imagine the priors of the orii trying to kill them in those suits!)

greetings LAX
            ps: that irked me even more on SGA: They went on a long mission far away from home, but didn't take any ZAT-Guns (maybe some staffweapons, too) with them, in case they ran out of bullets?...personal shields would have made more sense here, too (after the asgard gave them all their stuff, coming up with a personal shield and cloak (we know they have had those, after the sting-operation against the offworld NID by Jack O'neill)....
            pps: and if someone says: that would have made them too strong - no, it would explain what was luck and a lot of plot-armor (not that I am enraged about plot-armor, as a like my protagonists alive, thank you very much!) with the stunts they pulled (mostly SG-1)

Comment

Working...
            X