Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkstyleR View Post
    Is any of the technology in stargate possible. I don't mean like the stargates itself but maybe something like the shuttles, FTL and more basic stuff (well FTL doesn't seem so basic , but you get my point.)Could we in fact in the next 100-200 years achieve interstellar travel ?
    I find the answer fascinating in some ways:

Clearly, some things are just possible, such as what I term the episode-story-specific technologies, each being possible to its own extent. Another poster called those same technologies "fringe" technologies (I'd have a hard time categorizing them to that extent, but nevertheless I understand his meaning).

To us, a lot of the other things seem radically unlikely, like all of the subspace, superspace, hyperspace, worm holes, etc.. I find them to be storyline conveniences. Yes, I just called the central object and name of the Serieses to be a convenience. I'm OK with that. In a few thousand millennium or billions of years, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that at least one of them wasn't as fantastical as I assumed, and I think I would also be around the same amount of unsurprised to find out that they were just as fantastical. However, I think along the way, we'll find similar things of similar scale and stature that are both fantastic and true.

One of the falsehoods of the Stargate storyline, for reasons of simplicity, convenience, and accessibility, is the concept that our future will not be more cerebral than portrayed in the Serieses (usually). However, one of the fun and unrealistic attributes to the Serieses is their function as parallel to the world in which the writers lived in at the time they wrote. Once you leave behind this burden, you find yourself both with what the writers referred to as Ascension, which I find to be a melding of (silly) religious notions and real future brain power, and our actual real future, which will be of a far superior cognitive capability, more entwined in the cerebral technology of the future, achieving up to the power of what the SG Ascended beings were able to do. I find the Stargate stories in this regard to be both entirely fake and entirely true, except only for its fictional nature. I believe in the future, if we last that long (which I think is more than likely), we will be enormously cerebral beings, with gargantuan cognitive power, with all of the mechanical tools we can bring to bear at our disposal, including interstellar travel (albeit in the form of traveling programs residing on whatever medium they are capable of computing on). I will not be at all surprised to find a computational medium that is able to travel at or conceptually close to the speed of light (more or less), upon which our programs, our actual consciousnesses, even our souls, can travel in, and would convey us as interstellar beings. Whether or not we would, as individual beings, posses parallel positions in spacetime or not, would be an implementation detail, and something I think would become irrelevant with evolutionary time.

So, while I think on balance most of the technologies depicted in the fiction of the Stargate Serieses and Movies are silly and fantasy, they are based upon the real understanding of scientific scifi writers who do understand the potential of where we are headed, and nearly all if not all of the concepts depicted in the Serieses actually have relevance in the possible super existence we or our children will have in the future, and thus not false at all in general concept (albeit with a lot of really silly concepts further down in the hierarchy of fictional structure that they ended up actually televising). I am very certain of this, and find it to be a basic concept. (I'll have to excuse myself if this seems non-basic to others, because, if it does seem non-basic to some, perhaps they can go re-learn all of science and society and watch the whole serieses over again, if they wanted to understand me right. I didn't say that lightly, which is why I indicated an impossible task, but one which various proper subsets would still prevail.)

Comment

Aha. No edit button. "but one in which various proper subsets of study would still prevail in understanding my meaning".

Also, while I find many of the fictional religious notions silly, it is not at all silly that we will need morality in the future supercognative existences. Many of the scifi depictions in SG of these moral quandaries were all too factual in our understanding of the issues, albeit they were oversimplified and hopefully far too extreme for our eventual evolutionary history.

Comment

Stargate definitely had an interesting take on technology and the "magical" and occasionally was more borderline fantasy than sci fi. Sometimes i liked that, sometimes a little less.

It's definitely not an accurate view of how the future will look (for one, it would contain more superbeings). But on the other hand, it was definitely a series that balanced fun with seriousness.

Comment

That pesky physics always gets in the way. Damn you Einstein.

Comment

In the name of the plot and story, some "liberties" (and in some cases downright fabrications, or rather fantastical thing) with what is actually possible or feasible is forgivable in any sci fi, if you ask me. Like Hyperspace, for example.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

I imagine some of it, but most of it, especially the "Ancient" technology is pretty much fantasy levels, well beyond even the most incredulous Star Trek technology, and that's far more believable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by mook_senor View Post
                I imagine some of it, but most of it, especially the "Ancient" technology is pretty much fantasy levels, well beyond even the most incredulous Star Trek technology, and that's far more believable universe.

"Q"

But yes, a bit more believable on a per episode basis, but as a whole...they are kinda at an equal footing.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X