Carter instead of Mitchell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter instead of Mitchell?

I was just thinking about a quick question, do you think that S9 & 10 would have been better if Carter had been placed in charge of SG1, instead of Mitchell? But with Mitchell still joining SG1?

Not sure if it would have made any difference at all to be honest, but I always wondered why Carter had never been placed in charge/promoted, based on O'Neill leaving, she would have been the most likely candidate.

Since Sam got reassigned to Area 51 when Jack went to Washington D.C., she was no longer in charge of SG1. Teal'c had gone back to Chulak. And Daniel was getting ready to go off to Atlantis. So there was no SG1. Which was why Mitchell got assigned to be the leader of SG1, after which he proceeded to drag the other three back into the fold (so to speak).

Yes, I do think Sam should have continued to be leader of SG1 (not that we got to see her in charge all that much, but she was in charge of SG1 during Season 8). But since she and the others had gone their separate ways, it made sense to just assign somebody else to lead. I think Sam would have made way better choices and decisions than Mitchell did. But we'll never know, since she didn't come back to lead. When she did come back, it was only supposed to be temporary. Instead, it was long term and she never did get back to Area 51.

Comment

I dunno, can you see Carter in the "SG team leader" role?
      I found Carter to be best used in the "2IC/ go to person" more than a leader, which probably coloured my perception of her in Atlantis.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        I dunno, can you see Carter in the "SG team leader" role?
        I found Carter to be best used in the "2IC/ go to person" more than a leader, which probably coloured my perception of her in Atlantis.

Definitely. When you look back at SG1 as a whole, more so in the big major decisions anyway, she was always there or there about with her input, or it was her who was coming up with the theory and idea to get them out of the situation. Looking at O'Neill and Mitchell, they are the more 'all action' types of team leaders, where as Sam was the more 'all rounder', I don't think it would have necessarily been a bad thing to see a slight role reversal.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
          Definitely. When you look back at SG1 as a whole, more so in the big major decisions anyway, she was always there or there about with her input, or it was her who was coming up with the theory and idea to get them out of the situation. Looking at O'Neill and Mitchell, they are the more 'all action' types of team leaders, where as Sam was the more 'all rounder', I don't think it would have necessarily been a bad thing to see a slight role reversal.
          and, she WAS in charge in season 8...

but i really don't think the writers/producers wanted a woman commanding the team, so when jack/rda left, it officially went back to male-lead-of-the-show-leading-the-team-too.

i like mitchell, though, a lot. and ben! *drolls*
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Since Sam got reassigned to Area 51 when Jack went to Washington D.C., she was no longer in charge of SG1. Teal'c had gone back to Chulak. And Daniel was getting ready to go off to Atlantis. So there was no SG1. Which was why Mitchell got assigned to be the leader of SG1, after which he proceeded to drag the other three back into the fold (so to speak).

Yes, I do think Sam should have continued to be leader of SG1 (not that we got to see her in charge all that much, but she was in charge of SG1 during Season 8). But since she and the others had gone their separate ways, it made sense to just assign somebody else to lead. I think Sam would have made way better choices and decisions than Mitchell did. But we'll never know, since she didn't come back to lead. When she did come back, it was only supposed to be temporary. Instead, it was long term and she never did get back to Area 51.

I wouldn't really agree with the point of just assigning somebody else, that's basically drawing a name out of a hat and hoping for the best imo, you're taking someone who has the rank, but not the experience. Like you said though, we'll never know. It could have worked imo, since the team was apart to begin with I don't think it would have been out of place etc for Mitchell to still try and bring them back together, and not be in charge of the group, looking at it that way the group it's self was basically in charge as the decisions were (for the most part) always thought out among them.

Comment

I don't think I see Carter as being in charge of SG1 in S8 as much because it's more of a 'assumed' command if that makes sense, it wasn't really a take charge role from her in S8 as she already knew the team around her so it was more of a collective unit type rather than her being the command figure. Which is what I was hoping she could be in S9 with Mitchell in the squad.

Comment

I don't think I see Carter as being in charge of SG1 in S8 as much because it's more of a 'assumed' command if that makes sense, it wasn't really a take charge role from her in S8 as she already knew the team around her so it was more of a collective unit type rather than her being the command figure. Which is what I was hoping she could be in S9 with Mitchell in the squad.
                well, she *was* in charge in season 8, even if the writers didn't show it a heck of a lot.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

They should have made her bossy

Comment

Look at your answer, she is the idea person, the fixer, not the "leader". Would you put Jackson in charge?
                    Do I think it would have been bad to see Sam as in charge, no, not really. Do I think she, as a character could be the one to make the "hard call" sometimes? No, I don't and when she was forced to make those calls in S4 of SGA, or even S8 of SG-1, it rang "false".
                    Now, you want to talk Helen Magnus, and that character, that's a whole different kettle of fish (I mention Magnus to show the difference in characters the one actor portrayed, no more)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      well, she *was* in charge in season 8, even if the writers didn't show it a heck of a lot.
                      That is a WHOLE different kettle of fish Sal, you know that
                      sigpic

Comment

That is a WHOLE different kettle of fish Sal, you know that
                        yeah, b/c the only reason they did it was b/c they thought season 8 was going to be the last, so why bother getting another male lead(er).

but whatever the true reasons were for this was, the sam carter character was promoted to team leader. and then it was taken away in season 9 so they could go back to male lead = male team leader.

i liked sam in charge of atlantis and found her very believable.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Look at your answer, she is the idea person, the fixer, not the "leader". Would you put Jackson in charge?
                          Do I think it would have been bad to see Sam as in charge, no, not really. Do I think she, as a character could be the one to make the "hard call" sometimes? No, I don't and when she was forced to make those calls in S4 of SGA, or even S8 of SG-1, it rang "false".
                          Now, you want to talk Helen Magnus, and that character, that's a whole different kettle of fish (I mention Magnus to show the difference in characters the one actor portrayed, no more)

Part of being a leader is being able to fix things and to act in that manner. Being able to make big decisions is not ALWAYS required to be a leader. That's why I said it's more of a unit decision with SG1 for the majority of the decisions made, rather than it being one persons ultimate snap judgement decision. Like I said for S8, the leadership as such wasn't there because she already knew everyone around her, and had nothing to prove and didn't have to show authority that is usually associated with being the leader.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            yeah, b/c the only reason they did it was b/c they thought season 8 was going to be the last, so why bother getting another male lead(er).

but whatever the true reasons were for this was, the sam carter character was promoted to team leader. and then it was taken away in season 9 so they could go back to male lead = male team leader.

i liked sam in charge of atlantis and found her very believable.
                            [/quote]
                            I love you dear, lets agree to disagree
                            sigpic

Comment

Part of being a leader is being able to fix things and to act in that manner. Being able to make big decisions is not ALWAYS required to be a leader. That's why I said it's more of a unit decision with SG1 for the majority of the decisions made, rather than it being one persons ultimate snap judgement decision. Like I said for S8, the leadership as such wasn't there because she already knew everyone around her, and had nothing to prove and didn't have to show authority that is usually associated with being the leader.
                              Yes, she can afford a far more relaxed command style, cause everyone knows what they are supposed to do, but at the end of the day *in a military structure* you NEED that final voice that will be listened too. How many times have you heard Jack go "DANIEL!!!" or "CARTER!!!" in situations where they want to argue with Jack making the final call. Without that final call, people die in the military, it's that simple.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X