The Time of the Doctor (2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
    Then explain how Tenth Doctor remembered (as his past incarnation) himself when he had that Time Paradox. If the past versions of the character do not remember meeting their future counterparts, then Moffet just ruined RTD's story.
    Keeping in mind that this in itself is just a minor five minute story...

The tenth Doctor didn't remember until the situation arose. By this point the timelines between him and his past self were in sync and the tenth Doctor could remember.
    The same thing occurs with other cross Doctor stories. The simple reasons behind this is as a protection mechanism for a timelord's own personal time line. If The Doctor could remember all the events where he crossed paths with himself then he could interfere with them and change them in such a way to create a paradox.
    This isn't even necessarily something that occurs naturally as a part of temporal science, but as a in built feature in a Timelord physiology like regeneration and a natural ability to have a sixth sense in regards to time.

The general rule of thumb therefore is: A past Doctor will not remember his future self. If two regenerations meet more than once than memories of the original meeting or meetings will resurface as his own timelines sync up.
    The eldest version present will retain all memories of the incident but will only gain access to the memories as the event unfolds, starting as a vague feeling of what is going to happen and eventually becoming the full memory of what will happen, like knowing how to avoid the TARDIS explosion, or when to jump through the time vortex to meet his former self.
    He may know what to do, but not necessarily what will happen next as a consequence. Instead it's as if he runs on instinct.

Once the event has occurred, all past incarnations will lose their memories once they are outside the presence of eachother and the timelines lose sync.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Oh, look - there's a special folder for "The Specials"...

I just re-watched Time of the Doctor, thinking perhaps enough time had passed to give it another go. My original ranking was a 3/10... due to various dislikes...

General not-fan of Smith
      General not-fan of Moffat
      Dislike of the "fairy tale" format used
      Dislike of what I perceived as a script that needed a really good re-write...

This time round, I attempted to watch it as being the story in which the Doctor, my Doctor, whom I've been attached to all my life, believed well and truly that he was going to die there at Trenzalore. I watched it as the story that brought some closure to a few elements from the show's recent past - some done well, some not so much. Explaining that the War Doctor and Tennant2 did count toward the regeneration cycle was something I'd not expected to happen, so I was glad it was recognised, though think they missed the opportunity to bring the character of the Valeyard back... The 1 liner explanation for the whole crack in time that plagued 11's first season felt - pointless.

All that aside... I just never felt like the story gave me something to sink my teeth into. It didn't take me on a journey, it just gave me the edited highlights. And as such I think it was a shame to go out like that.

In comparison... what was originally to be Capaldi's finale, seeing him again protecting a small community from incomprehensible odds... did a much better job, giving us a tad more to nibble on, characters with just a vague bit more meat on their bones. (I do say a vague bit more! Not a whole lot... but enough.)

Overall, I have to say that whilst Moffat can write great stories (Girl in the Fireplace still a Top 5 for me, probably), his 2 regen stories left me mostly wanting for something more.
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Working...
      X