Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Vortex Manipulator (Spoilers for DOTD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vortex Manipulator (Spoilers for DOTD)

So,

Spoiler:
    We know how important that thing was to Jack. Even when it burned out and no longer worked, he still wore it as a part of himself for 100 years. What then could make him give it up?

I presume that Torchwood is no longer any presence at all and UNIT probably absorbed anything they were.

Should we just accept that it was a convenient shortcut for MOffat, or do you think we'll actually get some kind of followup on what was said about Jack?

*Side note* - Kate Stewert says "even from our allies" when talking about the Manipulator. Isn't UNIT an international U.N. organisation rather than a solely British one?
    sigpic

I'm not spoilering this, as the title of the thread warns of spoilers... Read on at own risk.

UNIT used to stand for "United Nations Intelligence Taskforce"... But in the new series, it is "UNified Intelligence Taskforce", due to issues with using the United Nations in the name...

I think the inclusion of the Vortex Manipulator was perhaps just as a way of "including" Capt Jack... without actually having to include him physically.

Having now seen some more of Kate Stewart, I hope we see more of her and her UNIT...
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
      So,

Spoiler:
      We know how important that thing was to Jack. Even when it burned out and no longer worked, he still wore it as a part of himself for 100 years. What then could make him give it up?

I presume that Torchwood is no longer any presence at all and UNIT probably absorbed anything they were.

Should we just accept that it was a convenient shortcut for MOffat, or do you think we'll actually get some kind of followup on what was said about Jack?

*Side note* - Kate Stewert says "even from our allies" when talking about the Manipulator. Isn't UNIT an international U.N. organisation rather than a solely British one?

Despite the name change, it has still been heavily implied that UNIT is a United Nations organisation. However, it's still a British contingent, and it's often been implied that there can be a kind of dual loyalty. When required, UNIT can go over Britain's heads to contact HQ at Geneva, but I'd suggest that UK UNIT also has (for obvious reasons) a distinct allegiance to Britain...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Didn't Jack Die a couple of times on Torchwood, jack still might have his one

time wimey and all that
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

The Vortex Manipulator needs to be re-written to have the same side effects as the transporters in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. HeHeHe...

Comment

Originally posted by gvan29 View Post
            The Vortex Manipulator needs to be re-written to have the same side effects as the transporters in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. HeHeHe...
            Which transporters exactly do you mean? Like the impossebility drive?
            Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenee View Post
              Which transporters exactly do you mean? Like the impossebility drive?
              I presume the teleporter that leaves you feeling very like being drunk... and wishing you had your towel, and a bag of salted nuts...
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

I teleported home one night
                With Ron and Sid and Meg.
                Ron stole Meggie's heart away
                And I got Sidney's leg.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                  I presume the teleporter that leaves you feeling very like being drunk... and wishing you had your towel, and a bag of salted nuts...
                  Ah that one. "I brought you some peanuts."- "What?" ... Oh, I love that one.. I could spend as much time quoting the Hitch Hiker as quoting Doctor Who.

Well, back to topic...
                  Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X