Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel Amara D'Angeli's Avatar

Default Late to the Party

Just as I came to the Stargate fandom several years after the show went off the air (and therefore came late to the AT fan club), I have just made Sanctuary a part of my life. In all fairness, it's been on my watch list since I first saw people talking about it here on GW about a year ago. But a local television station just started playing the series from the pilot episode - one ep a week on Saturday afternoons - and I'm getting all wrapped up in the show. I've made it most all the way through the first season now and I'm just gaga for the show and its characters.

I know I can't be the only one out there who is new to this show and, therefore of course, is experiencing it like it's brand new. Anyone else out there watching for the first time (or rewatching for the first time in a while)?
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Default Re: Late to the Party

Well not new or currently rewatching but I was just missing the show the other day and thinking I need to do a rewatch. If you're not done with Season 1 then I predict you're just going to grow to love the characters even more by season's end.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8226&dateline=1311902876

I'd imagine so. As if I didn't have enough to do, I've been mainlining Sanctuary fic. I'm totally spoiled for everything that's coming, but I don't care.

I'm also going through my first watch, I took a break for a while as I don't want to be done! I think I have 2 or 3 episodes left!

Oh, I've so done that before. It breaks my heart that this show only has 4 seasons because that means I'm already almost a quarter of the way through it.

I guess I can hold out hope that it starts to suck - then I wouldn't care so much.

(Somehow, I don't think that's going to be the case…)

I too am a latecomer to Sanctuary. I really love the show and am peeved that it doesn't have more seasons!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the show as well, Amara! I thought it was a shame they didn't get (enough) funding for another season or even a mini-series, but at least it isn't one of those finales that leaves you hanging or a disappointing season (like the last two of Stargate SG-1, in my opinion). Still, I would have loved more!

If you want to discuss the episodes/events with others I'd be willing (it's such a sacrifice! ) to join your rewatch. You'd just have to tell me which episode is up when and I'll make sure to rewatch it! It's only one episode a week or something? Or more? It's not like I can't spare 42 minutes every now and then!

Maybe others want to join as well?
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

I'd LOVE to have other people to talk to about it!

I'm watching a rebroadcast on a local television station so I get one episode a week that airs on Saturdays at 4:00. Naturally, I DVR it and watch it later.

The last episode of season 1 will be airing this weekend.

Well, then let us know when you've watched it and post your thoughts in the episode's thread, so we can (re)watch it ourselves and share our opinions (again, in some cases) with you!

It could also be posted in this thread, of course, depending on what you prefer. Just thought the episode threads might draw more attention from others who are (still) subscribed to them.
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Where I put it might depend heavily on how much I've got to say. If I'm just flailing there's probably no need to go dig up an old thread.

Okay, I'll just make sure to keep an eye on both then! Hopefully other people will join in as well. There'll be plenty to discuss for most of the episodes involved in a story arc, after all.
    On FFnet or AO3

I'll join in on the rewatch, if you're still taking people?

It's an open party. We're not doing anything fancy, special or structured - just enjoying a good show together.

Quote Originally Posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
    It's an open party. We're not doing anything fancy, special or structured - just enjoying a good show together.
    Fine by me!

I don't think I'll do a re-watch, but I'm happy to join any discussion none the less

I think I know my Sanctuary well enough for that by now

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

I'd LOVE to have other people to talk to about it!

I'm watching a rebroadcast on a local television station so I get one episode a week that airs on Saturdays at 4:00. Naturally, I DVR it and watch it later.

The last episode of season 1 will be airing this weekend.
    Let us know when you're going to watch it and want to discuss!
    On FFnet or AO3

I did watch it!

Okay, so since I'm all spoilered up, of course, I wasn't altogether surprised by the Ashley thing, but I find I'm quite curious to know what further uses the Cabal has for her. (Also, I watched a metric crap-ton of Star Trek this weekend and did anybody notice the Suliban also have a Cabal? I've never heard the word used outside those two shows but it is, indeed, a word. Huh.)

I'm apparently in a minority, but I really can't stand Tesla. I was impressed with his dedication to the cause and got a giggle out of how much Magnus' dad must have hated him.

They keep talking about Watson as the man who inspired Sherlock Holmes. Am I the only one who can't help but think of him as Crick's partner in crime? Were they historically one and the same?

I was (mostly) disappointed with the creativity of the puzzles the Five had to solve. I thought Helen's was a cop out, but exactly what special skill does she really have outside living for a long damn time? (Special skill in the secret-puzzle-solving sense. Obviously she's chock full of special skills...)

LOVED the little look Helen gave Will over his nearly-naked reappearance with Clara. That whole thing actually made me giggle. I mean...c'mon Clara - he had to get naked, huh? Sure that was all about leveling the playing field...

I don't have much use for Druitt either, but I did find I liked him a lot more in this episode than in the previous ones. He finally seemed human to me. Previously I'd felt he was a one-dimensional character and could see no reason Helen ever would have been attracted to him. I'm still not sure I buy it, but I'm a helluva lot closer now.

Okay...I think those are all my initial thoughts.

I'll try to watch the episode tonight or tomorrow and will get back here to discuss! I'm not sure when my fondness of both Tesla and Druitt (well, Watson too, really) started, so it's interesting to hear your opinion and see if I feel the same way in this episode. I think I started watching the show when season 2 or 3 was already happening, so I watched the first season(s) in a few days to get caught up, which makes it more difficult to pinpoint such things
    On FFnet or AO3

I did watch it!

Okay, so since I'm all spoilered up, of course, I wasn't altogether surprised by the Ashley thing, but I find I'm quite curious to know what further uses the Cabal has for her. (Also, I watched a metric crap-ton of Star Trek this weekend and did anybody notice the Suliban also have a Cabal? I've never heard the word used outside those two shows but it is, indeed, a word. Huh.)
    Fortunately you won't have to wait as long as we did to find out. The things you learn watching TV shows eh?
    I'm apparently in a minority, but I really can't stand Tesla. I was impressed with his dedication to the cause and got a giggle out of how much Magnus' dad must have hated him.
    Tesla grows on you more so the next couple of seasons. Dedication for what cause? Tesla alway seemed to have his own interest at heart. I do enjoy the banter Tesla has with the other characters and I too giggled at that scene.
    They keep talking about Watson as the man who inspired Sherlock Holmes. Am I the only one who can't help but think of him as Crick's partner in crime? Were they historically one and the same?
    Crick? I feel I should know this but it just isn't coming to me. I was disappointed the character died as I thought he had lots of potential.
    I was (mostly) disappointed with the creativity of the puzzles the Five had to solve. I thought Helen's was a cop out, but exactly what special skill does she really have outside living for a long damn time? (Special skill in the secret-puzzle-solving sense. Obviously she's chock full of special skills...)
    Yeah bit of let down eh. But as you say what could they have done?
    LOVED the little look Helen gave Will over his nearly-naked reappearance with Clara. That whole thing actually made me giggle. I mean...c'mon Clara - he had to get naked, huh? Sure that was all about leveling the playing field...
    Mom scolding her children?
    I don't have much use for Druitt either, but I did find I liked him a lot more in this episode than in the previous ones. He finally seemed human to me. Previously I'd felt he was a one-dimensional character and could see no reason Helen ever would have been attracted to him. I'm still not sure I buy it, but I'm a helluva lot closer now.
    I don't know if watching the webisodes made the difference here but I loved Druit's character. His journey with the warring sides of his personality ('villain' and 'good guy') and the tension between the characters is great. Druit was a different man before he got his powers and that is the Druit Helen fell in love with.
    I think it would take a very long time for Helen to start trusting Druitt again. Helen is very afraid of even slightly opening her heart to Druitt again because he is the one person who can hurt her the most.

I look forward to seeing your reactions to the Season 2 episodes which have Druit and Tesla in them. What are your thoughts on "The Five"?
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8226&dateline=1311902876

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall for Druitt and Tesla's arguments! They probably had some doozies!