• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Cucuy (305)

Visit the Episode GuideGRIMM - SEASON THREE
    EL CUCUY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 305
    Nick and Hank are on the case as repeat instances of apparent vigilantism have whispers of an old Spanish legend making their way through a working-class Portland neighborhood. (NBC)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 30 November 2013, 07:50 PM.

even Renard is at a loss of words at the end "Are you kidding me?"

And all of them eating together, handing over food AND bloody crime scene photos
    Grimm returns October 24
    sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
      even Renard is at a loss of words at the end "Are you kidding me?"

And all of them eating together, handing over food AND bloody crime scene photos
      Yes, Renard's expression was priceless!!

I wonder how (and when) Monroe and Rosalee are going to tell their parents about them.

And, what's up with Adalind's baby? What is it going to turn into.

Comment

Good episode, but the dinner party scene was too weird. And I don't like Juliette, so them making her all over enthused to be helping out seems ridiculous. That and her being helpful at all also seems ridiculous. LOL

Did anyone notice that Monroe's mother's voice sounded like Dee Wallace? She didn't have a credit, but it really sounded like her and I hope it is her. It is a very funny twist to have her star as Munroe's mother. In case you don't know why it is funny it is because she is the star of The Howling (1981). It's a werewolf movie.

Comment

I watched it a little distracted so I will have to rewatch. I thought it was good. I am glad they cover the whole story-arc and still are able to deal with a case of the week. I think I saw way too many movies and TV shows because I saw it coming from the moment they introduced the old lady.
          I am not sure if let her running around is a good idea but I am sure they won´t mention it again I would love to see Nick to write about it, since he couldn´t find it anywhere.

I guess Monroe´s mum is thrilled with him having a girlfriend....until she finds out she is not a Blutbad The dinner was weird but funny. Talking about killing and looking at bloody photos over the food sums up their relationship, I think

Not sure about Juliette - she said something useful, I can give her that. Nick´s explanation why he never said to her about his mother was good and made sense but does Hank know? I don´t think he told him.

But boy, couldn´t they get the real German speaker for the role of a doctor? I am not German but even I thought the German sounded...awkward. But I am not an expert - maybe Austrian German sounds different? I know I had big trouble to understand in Vieanna when I heard two people talking...also, I think it is funny how everybody around Nick speaks at least one foreign language and he is still stuck with English Didn´t he have any foreign language at school?

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Good episode, but the dinner party scene was too weird. And I don't like Juliette, so them making her all over enthused to be helping out seems ridiculous. That and her being helpful at all also seems ridiculous. LOL

Did anyone notice that Monroe's mother's voice sounded like Dee Wallace? She didn't have a credit, but it really sounded like her and I hope it is her. It is a very funny twist to have her star as Munroe's mother. In case you don't know why it is funny it is because she is the star of The Howling (1981). It's a werewolf movie.
            I came across an article earlier today that says she has indeed been cast as his mother, a long with Chris Mulkey as Monroe's father.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I also was distracted while what this, though it was my fault for starting the episode while getting ready for a party later that night.

The episode was okay, I really liked the dinner scene and totally called the scene about his mother. I'm glad that they had her ask Nick right away about it and not hold it from him.

The scene with Monroe and Roselee was good too. I'm surprised that Rosalee hasn't told her family about Monroe, it seems like that would have come up when she was there for a few weeks. She wouldn't have to say that he is a blubud if that is the problem. I definitely looking forward to meeting Monroe's parents.

The case was okay, I didn't expect it to turn out to be the old woman, though it made sense. So they just let her go at the end because they couldn't figure out how to make her the suspect.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                But boy, couldn´t they get the real German speaker for the role of a doctor? I am not German but even I thought the German sounded...awkward. But I am not an expert - maybe Austrian German sounds different? I know I had big trouble to understand in Vieanna when I heard two people talking...also, I think it is funny how everybody around Nick speaks at least one foreign language and he is still stuck with English Didn´t he have any foreign language at school?
                Austrian German sounds different but definitely not like the doctor. German term on Austrian German is mostly that it's "charming", it's a bit like a singsong, but they also are able to talk High German (which IS the actual German. Low German is actually the past one not vice versa as Monroe told during season 1). There's also a translation mistake during the scene, as NO woman would say in German "ich trage Zwillinge", that's term in English. German would be correct "ich bekomme Zwillinge" (I will get twins). Carrying unborn is a usual term here for animals, and I doubt that Adalind sees herself as an animal, no matter how she feels about the child.

An example for how Austrian German and high German is sounding is (not the newest) an interview with one of my personal favourite artists (unfortunately he died years ago ) Falco. Falco was Austrian, Heike Makatsch is, if I'm not wrong, from Berlin but speaking high German. Falco did so too but he still had this little Austrian accent : Heikes Hausbesuch.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                Sig & Avi by Josi
                sigpic
                LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                  Austrian German sounds different but definitely not like the doctor. German term on Austrian German is mostly that it's "charming", it's a bit like a singsong, but they also are able to talk High German (which IS the actual German. Low German is actually the past one not vice versa as Monroe told during season 1). There's also a translation mistake during the scene, as NO woman would say in German "ich trage Zwillinge", that's term in English. German would be correct "ich bekomme Zwillinge" (I will get twins). Carrying unborn is a usual term here for animals, and I doubt that Adalind sees herself as an animal, no matter how she feels about the child.

An example for how Austrian German and high German is sounding is (not the newest) an interview with one of my personal favourite artists (unfortunately he died years ago ) Falco. Falco was Austrian, Heike Makatsch is, if I'm not wrong, from Berlin but speaking high German. Falco did so too but he still had this little Austrian accent : Heikes Hausbesuch.
                  Hi all, may I chime in here?

Yes, the doctor's German was really bad. That was not Austrian German or even Viennese at all. She had a very strong American accent. It really hurt my ears.

On the differences between German German and Austrian German: my friend, who is Russian, told me once that for her Austrian German sounds softer. I personally like to compare them with British and American English, where the British dialect has also a harder pronunciation than American English... for me.

Here´s another example of Viennese diaect ( a bit exaggerated): Mundl - ein echter Wiener...

The two people who passed by when Adalind left the building weren´t German native speakers either....

I had to grin at the doctor's name though, Hawelka. Could that be a tribute on one of the most famous cafés in Vienna? The Hawelka? (the emphasis is on the first sylable, not the second, btw )

And where they had the coat of arms on the silver Audi's licence plates right, why was there a D in the front, instead of W (for "Wien").

But all in all I enjoyed this episode, even if Renard didn´t have so much screentime...

@Hyndara: Falco rocks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up I cringed when she said "maken" instead of "machen" but then I thought it was part of the Austrian accent. I don´t really understand or speak that well (I used to but not anymore) and I really need to focus and listen carefully. I think Adelind as non-German speaker can be forgiven. You should hear my German But really, if I can tell it was terrible with my limited German, then they should really work on it. I can´t believe they weren´t able to find an actress who would speal fluently German. Or anybody, actually, the part didn´t really require that much acting
                    I am just scared when (and I think it is just a matter of time) they will try Czech. It is not even a germanic language
                    If she didn´t have the "w" in her name, I would have thought she had some Czech roots (which is not impossible due to our common, hundreds years long history )

As for Falco, we know him here very well. I always liked the mix of English and German he used Also, died too young

Anyway, it is a little OT.
                    I like Adelind and for once, I thought her storyline was interesting. I am curious what it is with the baby and I suspect the old witch that she will kill Adelind. Or that the birth will kill Adelind. She may need Nick´s or Renard´s help very soon.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up I cringed when she said "maken" instead of "machen" but then I thought it was part of the Austrian accent.
                      In some north German parts they pronunce the ch-sound like k, in Hamburg for example, but not here in the far south.

I don´t really understand or speak that well (I used to but not anymore) and I really need to focus and listen carefully. I think Adelind as non-German speaker can be forgiven. You should hear my German But really, if I can tell it was terrible with my limited German, then they should really work on it. I can´t believe they weren´t able to find an actress who would speal fluently German. Or anybody, actually, the part didn´t really require that much acting
                      Actually, I found Adalind's German pronunciation was much better than the doctor's.

I am just scared when (and I think it is just a matter of time) they will try Czech. It is not even a germanic language
                      If she didn´t have the "w" in her name, I would have thought she had some Czech roots (which is not impossible due to our common, hundreds years long history )
                      Czech names are very common in Vienna. And I suppose a lot of people have Czech, Slovakian and Hungarian roots. Vienna (and Austria in general) was always a melting pool for all kind of people. The real Hawelkas had actually Bohemian and Moravian roots.

As for Falco, we know him here very well. I always liked the mix of English and German he used Also, died too young
                      Too true.

Anyway, it is a little OT.
                      I like Adelind and for once, I thought her storyline was interesting. I am curious what it is with the baby and I suspect the old witch that she will kill Adelind. Or that the birth will kill Adelind. She may need Nick´s or Renard´s help very soon.
                      I wonder if Renard will arrange a paternity test. It must have dawned on him that the baby could be his.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think I saw way too many movies and TV shows because I saw it coming from the moment they introduced the old lady.
                        Yeah it was really obvious when they showed her in the store that she was going to be important. What clinched it was when they interviewed her and she said she "thought things would be different here.", meaning she was new to the area. That little added bit of exposition was a big sign that said she would definitely be involved with what would happen in the episode.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        I came across an article earlier today that says she has indeed been cast as his mother.
                        Sweet! I knew that was her voice. Thanks for finding the proof.

Comment

Whoops, I nearly forgot. Review and picspam again at my LJ

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                          Sig & Avi by Josi
                          sigpic
                          LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                          I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

What a great episode! I want Grammy Cucuy to visit my town some day!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X