From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

Hi all, I was at the supanova convention in Brisbane Australia today where Joe Flanigan was a guest.
    Their was a Q & A and a question about the movie was asked. Quote from Joe was "The movie was never going to be made in the first place" according to Joe the SGA and SG1 movies were never going to be made and only reason they were annouced was so fans would stick around and watch Universe.

He also said at the beginning of the Q & A he did attempt to buy and even lease the franchise from MGM so they could make the movie and hope to revive the show but MGM claimed bankruptcy and the new owners didnt go for the plans he had come up with. So as it stands we will never see a movie or revival of any part of the tv franchise

Originally posted by Raineman View Post
    Hi all, I was at the supanova convention in Brisbane Australia today where Joe Flanigan was a guest.
    Their was a Q & A and a question about the movie was asked. Quote from Joe was "The movie was never going to be made in the first place" according to Joe the SGA and SG1 movies were never going to be made and only reason they were annouced was so fans would stick around and watch Universe.

He also said at the beginning of the Q & A he did attempt to buy and even lease the franchise from MGM so they could make the movie and hope to revive the show but MGM claimed bankruptcy and the new owners didnt go for the plans he had come up with. So as it stands we will never see a movie or revival of any part of the tv franchise
    That's huge. Fans were played with, and Flanigan wanted to give the franchise a chance, but legal shenanigans and obtuse minds failed him.
    Stellar.
    It's even more interesting when you consider that, over the years, nearly esoteric snippets extracted from some of his interviews allowed smart people to see that Joe probably grasped what the show should have been better than the heads in charge. LAWL
    For example, and that's just one, remember when he said he was the one suggesting that there should be at least a reference about Beckett's demise in a later episode following Sunday, and the writers were like "why, that's a terrific idea!!"
    :|
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      That's huge. Fans were played with, and Flanigan wanted to give the franchise a chance, but legal shenanigans and obtuse minds failed him.
      Stellar.
      It's even more interesting when you consider that, over the years, nearly esoteric snippets extracted from some of his interviews allowed smart people to see that Joe probably grasped what the show should have been better than the heads in charge. LAWL
      For example, and that's just one, remember when he said he was the one suggesting that there should be at least a reference about Beckett's demise in a later episode following Sunday, and the writers were like "why, that's a terrific idea!!"
      :|
      The bolded part is why I was he could have been an executive producer. SGA might have lasted a few more seasons or even still be on the air then.
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Lythisrose was kind enough to link a copy of a similar interview with Joe in my visitor page from fedcon awhile ago. Feel free to go to my visitor page and have a look if you want
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It was good of him to explain exactly what happened. And pretty brave I think. All too often actors will just go with whatever the party line was, so that they aren't considered too outspoken/ difficult to work with/ anything else that might give future shows a reason to not cast them.
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest I don't believe Flanigan or he is twisting the facts like people in the spotlight often do. He has made his distaste for Universe well known and thus statement is just another attempt to showcase that
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

He said nothing about SGU.
              In fact his distaste has nearly always been reserved for TBTB and the way they handled things.

You can choose who you wish to believe, that's your call.
              sigpic

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised at this.

Do I think the producers, writers etc wanted to do SGA and SG-1 movies......very probably they did want to do them, I suspect though they were at the bottom of the list of priorities but that they understood that announcing them would probably keep people hanging around.

In the end though it doesn't really matter, no movies were produced and even SGU went down the drain. The only impact it has on me is that if I saw any of TPTB names attached to a new series of anything I probably wouldn't watch, but that's all.

Comment

I gotta say....its' all water under the bridge. No one knows what really happened, nor are they ever likely to, because the real truth is usually that blank space between 'this side' and 'that side'

People remember things like they want to remember them, and even the most well intentioned person is subject to his/her preferences. It's done, it's over and it's history.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    I gotta say....its' all water under the bridge. No one knows what really happened, nor are they ever likely to, because the real truth is usually that blank space between 'this side' and 'that side'

People remember things like they want to remember them, and even the most well intentioned person is subject to his/her preferences. It's done, it's over and it's history.
                    Pre-emptive strike??
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      In fact his distaste has nearly always been reserved for TBTB and the way they handled things.

Thats not what the first post says
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Thats not what the first post says
                        He mentioned it as a reason for a movie announcement, he did not comment on SGU as a show.
                        sigpic

Comment

Here is the vid from a previous con that Gatefan was speaking of:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pTu...layer_embedded
                          It does sound like he made quite the effort behind the scenes to try to carry on SGA.
                          I wish he'd been successful.
                          sigpic

Comment

He mentioned it as a reason for a movie announcement, he did not comment on SGU as a show.
                            So he did make a mention of SGU. I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the movie announcements were just to get people to watch SGU

Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              So he did make a mention of SGU. I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the movie announcements were just to get people to watch SGU
                              Believe want you want Jel, I am not going to start another round of pro-sgu/anti-sgu stuff, I have said my piece on this loudly and often before.

I will ask this however, who has the most to gain here?
                              I don't believe it was a conspiracy, but I will buy that it was damage control by people who foolishly shot their mouths off, and that's ALL JF has ever said on that issue.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X