Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant Raineman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    79

    Sheppard From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Hi all, I was at the supanova convention in Brisbane Australia today where Joe Flanigan was a guest.
    Their was a Q & A and a question about the movie was asked. Quote from Joe was "The movie was never going to be made in the first place" according to Joe the SGA and SG1 movies were never going to be made and only reason they were annouced was so fans would stick around and watch Universe.

    He also said at the beginning of the Q & A he did attempt to buy and even lease the franchise from MGM so they could make the movie and hope to revive the show but MGM claimed bankruptcy and the new owners didnt go for the plans he had come up with. So as it stands we will never see a movie or revival of any part of the tv franchise

  2. #2
    Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
    Hi all, I was at the supanova convention in Brisbane Australia today where Joe Flanigan was a guest.
    Their was a Q & A and a question about the movie was asked. Quote from Joe was "The movie was never going to be made in the first place" according to Joe the SGA and SG1 movies were never going to be made and only reason they were annouced was so fans would stick around and watch Universe.

    He also said at the beginning of the Q & A he did attempt to buy and even lease the franchise from MGM so they could make the movie and hope to revive the show but MGM claimed bankruptcy and the new owners didnt go for the plans he had come up with. So as it stands we will never see a movie or revival of any part of the tv franchise
    That's huge. Fans were played with, and Flanigan wanted to give the franchise a chance, but legal shenanigans and obtuse minds failed him.
    Stellar.
    It's even more interesting when you consider that, over the years, nearly esoteric snippets extracted from some of his interviews allowed smart people to see that Joe probably grasped what the show should have been better than the heads in charge. LAWL
    For example, and that's just one, remember when he said he was the one suggesting that there should be at least a reference about Beckett's demise in a later episode following Sunday, and the writers were like "why, that's a terrific idea!!"
    :|

  3. #3
    Goalkeeper mandogater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clan Skirata's redoubt
    Posts
    16,261

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    That's huge. Fans were played with, and Flanigan wanted to give the franchise a chance, but legal shenanigans and obtuse minds failed him.
    Stellar.
    It's even more interesting when you consider that, over the years, nearly esoteric snippets extracted from some of his interviews allowed smart people to see that Joe probably grasped what the show should have been better than the heads in charge. LAWL
    For example, and that's just one, remember when he said he was the one suggesting that there should be at least a reference about Beckett's demise in a later episode following Sunday, and the writers were like "why, that's a terrific idea!!"
    :|
    The bolded part is why I was he could have been an executive producer. SGA might have lasted a few more seasons or even still be on the air then.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

    Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

  4. #4
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Lythisrose was kind enough to link a copy of a similar interview with Joe in my visitor page from fedcon awhile ago. Feel free to go to my visitor page and have a look if you want
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  5. #5
    Captain min min light's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    It was good of him to explain exactly what happened. And pretty brave I think. All too often actors will just go with whatever the party line was, so that they aren't considered too outspoken/ difficult to work with/ anything else that might give future shows a reason to not cast them.

  6. #6
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    34,977

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    To be honest I don't believe Flanigan or he is twisting the facts like people in the spotlight often do. He has made his distaste for Universe well known and thus statement is just another attempt to showcase that
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  7. #7
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    He said nothing about SGU.
    In fact his distaste has nearly always been reserved for TBTB and the way they handled things.

    You can choose who you wish to believe, that's your call.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  8. #8
    Captain
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,240

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    I can't say I'm surprised at this.

    Do I think the producers, writers etc wanted to do SGA and SG-1 movies......very probably they did want to do them, I suspect though they were at the bottom of the list of priorities but that they understood that announcing them would probably keep people hanging around.

    In the end though it doesn't really matter, no movies were produced and even SGU went down the drain. The only impact it has on me is that if I saw any of TPTB names attached to a new series of anything I probably wouldn't watch, but that's all.

  9. #9
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,864

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    I gotta say....its' all water under the bridge. No one knows what really happened, nor are they ever likely to, because the real truth is usually that blank space between 'this side' and 'that side'

    People remember things like they want to remember them, and even the most well intentioned person is subject to his/her preferences. It's done, it's over and it's history.

  10. #10
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    I gotta say....its' all water under the bridge. No one knows what really happened, nor are they ever likely to, because the real truth is usually that blank space between 'this side' and 'that side'

    People remember things like they want to remember them, and even the most well intentioned person is subject to his/her preferences. It's done, it's over and it's history.
    Pre-emptive strike??
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  11. #11
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    34,977

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    He said nothing about SGU.
    In fact his distaste has nearly always been reserved for TBTB and the way they handled things.

    You can choose who you wish to believe, that's your call.
    Thats not what the first post says
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  12. #12
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Thats not what the first post says
    He mentioned it as a reason for a movie announcement, he did not comment on SGU as a show.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  13. #13
    Lieutenant Colonel Lythisrose's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Basking in the Sun
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Here is the vid from a previous con that Gatefan was speaking of:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pTu...layer_embedded
    It does sound like he made quite the effort behind the scenes to try to carry on SGA.
    I wish he'd been successful.

  14. #14
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    34,977

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    He mentioned it as a reason for a movie announcement, he did not comment on SGU as a show.
    So he did make a mention of SGU. I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the movie announcements were just to get people to watch SGU
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    He said nothing about SGU.
    In fact his distaste has nearly always been reserved for TBTB and the way they handled things.

    You can choose who you wish to believe, that's your call.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  15. #15
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    So he did make a mention of SGU. I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the movie announcements were just to get people to watch SGU
    Believe want you want Jel, I am not going to start another round of pro-sgu/anti-sgu stuff, I have said my piece on this loudly and often before.

    I will ask this however, who has the most to gain here?
    I don't believe it was a conspiracy, but I will buy that it was damage control by people who foolishly shot their mouths off, and that's ALL JF has ever said on that issue.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  16. #16
    Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,781

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
    Hi all, I was at the supanova convention in Brisbane Australia today where Joe Flanigan was a guest.
    Their was a Q & A and a question about the movie was asked. Quote from Joe was "The movie was never going to be made in the first place" according to Joe the SGA and SG1 movies were never going to be made and only reason they were annouced was so fans would stick around and watch Universe.

    He also said at the beginning of the Q & A he did attempt to buy and even lease the franchise from MGM so they could make the movie and hope to revive the show but MGM claimed bankruptcy and the new owners didnt go for the plans he had come up with. So as it stands we will never see a movie or revival of any part of the tv franchise
    WOW JUST WOW thanks for the info

    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel Lythisrose's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Basking in the Sun
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Well, here's another vid of JF in an interview at the Brisbane Supanova Con. He does mention SGU and the cancellation of SGA at the same time. "You don't cancel something to keep it going." Also that he thought it would have been better to overlap the two shows.

  18. #18
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Stop making sense, it makes peoples brains hurt..............
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  19. #19
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    34,977

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Believe want you want Jel, I am not going to start another round of pro-sgu/anti-sgu stuff, I have said my piece on this loudly and often before.

    I will ask this however, who has the most to gain here?
    I don't believe it was a conspiracy, but I will buy that it was damage control by people who foolishly shot their mouths off, and that's ALL JF has ever said on that issue.
    I don't know where you are getting this idea that this is a pro/anti SGU thing. I just don't buy JF's rationale about the movies given his previous biases
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  20. #20
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,097

    Default Re: From Joe Flanigan about SGA Movie as of Today

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I don't know where you are getting this idea that this is a pro/anti SGU thing.
    Sigh.
    Why did you bother to bring up JF's supposed views on SGU?

    I just don't buy JF's rationale about the movies given his previous biases
    What Bias??
    You say you cannot see the "pro/anti" SGU thing, yet you cite bias as a reason?? WTH man??

    Look, JF will say what he says, JM will say what he says. You prefer what JM says, and that's fine.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Similar Threads

  1. Joe Flanigan Petition : the Uncharted movie
    By BrianL in forum Stargate Fandom
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
  2. what non sci-fi movie did you watch today?
    By LT. COL. John Sheppard in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
  3. Joe Flanigan's GOOD DAY FOR IT movie
    By prion in forum SGA News (Archive)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 25th, 2011, 07:55 AM
  4. Joe Flanigan movie on DVD in January
    By morjana in forum SG-1 News (Archive)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 21st, 2004, 12:31 AM
  5. Joe Flanigan in made for TV movie (USA channel)
    By yabrefstank in forum SG-1 News (Archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •