• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necromancer (108)

Visit the Episode GuideSLEEPY HOLLOW - SEASON ONE
    NECROMANCER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 108
    With a rare opportunity to interrogate their enemy, Ichabod and Abby turn to Andy Brooks for help. Meanwhile, Captain Irving and Jenny Mills are the only ones standing in the way of those who seek to free the Horseman.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 December 2013, 09:41 PM.

As it is so often the case - when you're really excited about an episode it may disappoint.

I was not happy at all with the reveals in this episode. So the whole Sleepy Hollow mythology comes down to matters of the heart? Meh. And there were two things in this episode that I found extremely hard to swallow.
    a) Ichabod is way too smart to hit somebody with such a reveal while they're alone together on a secret mission.
    And b) the four horsemen have been around forever, so how come Death was only created duriing the Revolutionary War? And even if Death is only using Abraham as a meat suit, how could the vessel be able to make decisions like disobeying Molochs orders and going after his own revenge?

Unless... there's more to Katrina than meets the eye. Maybe she's some ancient goddess or something who's hiding among mortals (sort of like Gabriel did on Supernatural), and Death has a history with her and wants to bring her back into the fold. It would make sense then that he chooses her jilted human lover to carry out his mission. I sure hope TPTB have something like this up their sleeve. The writing so far has been fantastic, and I would hate for them to slack off now.

Still, there were bits to this episode I loved. The fist bump scene was hilarious. Irving and Jenny working together are a sight to behold. The reveal that Andy was used to smuggle the artifact into the cell was a stroke of genius I did not see coming - and I wonder just how sincere his claim is that he wants to protect Abbie. Yes, he warned them that it was dangerous to put him into a cell with the Horseman, but he held back vital information about the why. I also loved Ichabod's mocking tone when interrogating the horseman, as well as seeing him lose control for once.

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

How the heck is Abraham the Horseman? He's around the same age (including resurrection) as Ichabod. The Hessians picked him 'cause he wanted revenge?

And that was totally the guy from the original story.
      Last edited by Morgania; 19 November 2013, 09:52 AM.
      sigpic
      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Good episode. We find out more about the Headless Horseman, including who he was.

The actor playing Abraham Van Brunt played the wraith in SGA's "Vegas" episode, and was in the episode "Prototype" on SG1. Looks like the writers are doing more rearranging in the series, since in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", Katrina was engaged to and married Bram Van (Von?) Brunt. I did feel sorry for Abraham in the flashback; not so sure I can find myself feeling sympathy for him in the present.

I was glad to see Jenny again. She's spent years living in the shadow of what she and Abbie saw as children. She's finally seeing some of the reality, and it showed on her face with how shocked she was. Love seeing her and Captain Irving working together, and that she figured out what was going at the power station.

As to the Horseman having the piece of jewelry Abraham gave Katrina, she must have given it back to him when she broke the engagement, and he had it the day he and Crane were going off on their mission. His jealousy is what got him killed and turned into the Horseman. I have to wonder if Crane managed to finish the mission in spite of what happened.

Felt very badly for Andy even if he could have told them what he had that was going to get the Horseman released.

Was fascinated by the fact that the creatures got blown to dust when they got shot.

My favorite bit in the whole episode was when Crane was going to lead them through the caves/tunnels and hurried off to the left, then apologized and said "this way", and led them back to the middle one and hurried off down the corridor. Not hysterically funny, but I like the moments like this when there's humor involved. (Reminded me of Jack O'Neill in a few SG1 episodes.)
        Last edited by hedwig; 19 November 2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          snip>My favorite bit in the whole episode was when Crane was going to lead them through the caves/tunnels and hurried off to the left, then apologized and said "this way", and led them back to the middle one and hurried off down the corridor. Not hysterically funny, but I like the moments like this when there's humor involved. (Reminded me of Jack O'Neill in a few SG1 episodes.)
          I noticed that bit too, and I've been thinking that this was probably not scripted. Either Tom Mison took a wrong turn, and corrected in in character, or he put it in as a bit of a gag, Either way, it seemed pretty spontaneous to me.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
            I noticed that bit too, and I've been thinking that this was probably not scripted. Either Tom Mison took a wrong turn, and corrected in in character, or he put it in as a bit of a gag, Either way, it seemed pretty spontaneous to me.
            I can imagine that the actors do ad lib a bit and the ad libs get left in the episodes.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode. Loved Captain Irving, loved seeing him and Jenny work together. I really liked Andy, I felt bad for him. The creatures looked pretty cool. Not sure how I feel about the Horseman being the guy Katrina dumped for Ichabod yet. It's interesting that the horseman was once Abraham, Ichabod's friend, but I wish that the Horseman's hatred of Ichabod, and his need for revenge wasn't over Katrina.

One of my favorite parts was when Abbie was talking to Irving about getting Jenny to help:

Captain Irving: A dead guy, a mental patient, and a time traveler from the Revolution.

Abbie: Yep, that's our team.
              sigpic

Comment

I hope they explain the horseman and ex thing. Why did they need that particular man to be the horseman. How are they controlling the horseman.

Comment

Was there a Horseman of Death before that?
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode as well, although I did see the whole Andy thing coming. It was so obvious, especially with everyone placing so much emphasis on no one entering the room and Andy constantly telling them it's a bad idea to take him to the horseman.

Also, I would have expected Abbie to at least think of putting those UV lights on a generator, just in case something were to happen. After all, they were more or less planning to keep him trapped for as long as possible/until they found a way to truly get rid of him, right? Then again, I'm surprised they even had electricity in those tunnels and had sort of assumed they used a generator until the power grid was mentioned in this episode. One thing I didn't get was why they let him go so 'easily': even if they couldn't kill Death and had to keep him trapped, couldn't they have chopped off his hands and feet? That would make it a lot harder for him to follow and attempt to kill them... but maybe that's me being cynical, because obviously they need him as a plot device.

Like some others have mentioned, I'm confused as to how they suddenly made Abraham the horseman. Wasn't somebody else already Death when they came across him? That scene in itself was nice, though. However, I couldn't help but notice he had miraculously gained a tattoo at the back of his head too! Unless it's not an actual tattoo but some kind of birthmark (which wasn't visible until they shaved his head) and they targeted him [to become Death] because of it? After all, they had everything at hand and decided to make him Death pretty quickly upon finding him...

I'm also not sure how I feel about the love triangle angle this episode has brought forth. The idea of Death simply being Death (and most likely a demon, rather than a former human like Andy) and well, uh, bringing death wherever he goes with the extra mission of killing the Witnesses was more appealing to me than him being a scorned ex/former BFF... I hope this twist isn't going to turn this show into a soap opera. So many shows these days feel the need to insert too much romance when it isn't necessary and then slowly but surely it will detract from the actual premise of the show...

Jenny working with Irving was nice and the actors had nice chemistry between them as well. It also looked like Irving had some kind of special training (former military perhaps?) with the way he easily took out those guys at the power plant (?). I'm still not fond of Jenny though, the actress is always scowling or looking plain evil/angry with how she exaggerates her eyebrow movements (at least I hope that's not her normal facial expression) and the character is just a bit too accomplished. Not only does she know everything about these artifacts and traveled the world despite being in foster care/jail/psych ward for most of her life, but she can also identify an ancient script (or whatever it was) at first glance with no schooling and use just about any kind of weapon or martial arts.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Great episode

I liked the Shadowey Henchmen, that whole scene was awesome

I feel sorry for John Cho's character, at first i thought he was like in a cult worshipping Moloch the way he just seem to go on with everything, what has changed? is he becoming more human again? moloch losing control? what would happen then is he gonna die die? lol
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

I don't think Andy had the option of telling Abbie it was a trap, or any other specific information that would help her out. He doesn't seem to have free will.

I can imagine that the actors do ad lib a bit and the ad libs get left in the episodes.
                        Tom Mison said in an interview that he pretty much never adlibs. Something about respecting the writers and it's not his job to edit them or second-guess them (paraphrasing).
                        sigpic

Comment

Excellent discussion for this episode!

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          I enjoyed the episode as well, although I did see the whole Andy thing coming. It was so obvious, especially with everyone placing so much emphasis on no one entering the room and Andy constantly telling them it's a bad idea to take him to the horseman.
                          Kudos to you. It took me completely by surprise.

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          I feel sorry for John Cho's character, at first i thought he was like in a cult worshipping Moloch the way he just seem to go on with everything, what has changed? is he becoming more human again? moloch losing control? what would happen then is he gonna die die? lol
                          Originally posted by min min light View Post
                          I don't think Andy had the option of telling Abbie it was a trap, or any other specific information that would help her out. He doesn't seem to have free will.
                          Maybe Andy found out more about Moloch after he died, so now he regrets becoming one of his minions. He also can't be enjoying his dead existance (now there's an oxymoron) much. What was up with his hand anyway? Is he starting to rot away? Somehow Andy does seem sincere, I guess he told them all he could about how dangerous it was to put him in that cell. But he could have just been manipulating Abbie too.

Also, I would have expected Abbie to at least think of putting those UV lights on a generator, just in case something were to happen. After all, they were more or less planning to keep him trapped for as long as possible/until they found a way to truly get rid of him, right? Then again, I'm surprised they even had electricity in those tunnels and had sort of assumed they used a generator until the power grid was mentioned in this episode. One thing I didn't get was why they let him go so 'easily': even if they couldn't kill Death and had to keep him trapped, couldn't they have chopped off his hands and feet? That would make it a lot harder for him to follow and attempt to kill them... but maybe that's me being cynical, because obviously they need him as a plot device.
                          Very good points. But the plot still needs the horseman as their main nemesis, so I'll cut them some slack on these decisions. I would explain the point about the electricity that they only had time to run an extension cord from the closest socket to the cell. Getting a generator down there might have taken too long.

Like some others have mentioned, I'm confused as to how they suddenly made Abraham the horseman. Wasn't somebody else already Death when they came across him? That scene in itself was nice, though. However, I couldn't help but notice he had miraculously gained a tattoo at the back of his head too! Unless it's not an actual tattoo but some kind of birthmark (which wasn't visible until they shaved his head) and they targeted him [to become Death] because of it? After all, they had everything at hand and decided to make him Death pretty quickly upon finding him...
                          Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          I enjoyed the episode. Loved Captain Irving, loved seeing him and Jenny work together. I really liked Andy, I felt bad for him. The creatures looked pretty cool. Not sure how I feel about the Horseman being the guy Katrina dumped for Ichabod yet. It's interesting that the horseman was once Abraham, Ichabod's friend, but I wish that the Horseman's hatred of Ichabod, and his need for revenge wasn't over Katrina.
                          Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                          I hope they explain the horseman and ex thing. Why did they need that particular man to be the horseman. How are they controlling the horseman.
                          Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                          Was there a Horseman of Death before that?
                          My point exactly. The four horsemen of the Apocalypse have been around since at least biblical times. I wonder if they have to take human form to ride on Earth? But then it would be Death's spirit inside Abraham in this case, and his wish for revenge against Ichabod wouldn't be an issue. Unless it's Death's mission to kill the two witnesses to make way for the Apocalypse. But he doesn't seem to be as interested in Abbie. I also was not happy either to see Abraham's character introduced only in the episode where we find out he's the horseman. That makes it sound more like a rabbit-from-the-hat kind of trick rather than something that's been planned.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the love triangle angle this episode has brought forth. The idea of Death simply being Death (and most likely a demon, rather than a former human like Andy) and well, uh, bringing death wherever he goes with the extra mission of killing the Witnesses was more appealing to me than him being a scorned ex/former BFF... I hope this twist isn't going to turn this show into a soap opera. So many shows these days feel the need to insert too much romance when it isn't necessary and then slowly but surely it will detract from the actual premise of the show...
                          I agree that way too often shows suffer from forcing romance into a storyline where it doesn't have any right to be. It also seemed to me that they did a major re-write of Katrina's character. Last time we saw her in a flashback she was a Quaker, who are against luxury and earthly possessions. How could a woman like that be betrothed to somebody as ostentatiously rich as Abraham? It can't have been for political reasons or Katrina would have gone through with the wedding out of loyalty to the cause, I feel.

Jenny working with Irving was nice and the actors had nice chemistry between them as well. It also looked like Irving had some kind of special training (former military perhaps?) with the way he easily took out those guys at the power plant (?). I'm still not fond of Jenny though, the actress is always scowling or looking plain evil/angry with how she exaggerates her eyebrow movements (at least I hope that's not her normal facial expression) and the character is just a bit too accomplished. Not only does she know everything about these artifacts and traveled the world despite being in foster care/jail/psych ward for most of her life, but she can also identify an ancient script (or whatever it was) at first glance with no schooling and use just about any kind of weapon or martial arts.
                          Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          One of my favorite parts was when Abbie was talking to Irving about getting Jenny to help:

Captain Irving: A dead guy, a mental patient, and a time traveler from the Revolution.

Abbie: Yep, that's our team.
                          I like Irving and Jenny together. And I loved that quote. Good point about Irving's combat skills too. I remember thinking 'Wow, that looks like more than basic police training'. And it made me realize that we really know next to nothing about Irving. We know that he's divorced and has a child, but nothing about his former career. He could very well be ex-military or even special ops, though. That would explain why he's so guared and unscrutable.

Tom Mison said in an interview that he pretty much never adlibs. Something about respecting the writers and it's not his job to edit them or second-guess them (paraphrasing).
                          I guess it may have been a legitimate mistake then - Tom Mison walking off the wrong exit from the set. Or it could have been a little joke he played when he thought the scene was over. But since he stayed in character as he did it, they kept it in for a laugh.

sigpic

Comment

I could imagine him fluffing something and they keep it in because it works. I can also buy that he's just so good that he can make it look spontaneous and real-life, even though he is in fact acting.
                            sigpic

Comment

I could imagine him fluffing something and they keep it in because it works. I can also buy that he's just so good that he can make it look spontaneous and real-life, even though he is in fact acting.
                              I'm curious... Why isn't anyone sure that it was a part of the script?

sigpic
                              Coming January 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X