• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Far Gone (408)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON FOUR
    TOO FAR GONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 408
    "Brian" convinces his group to take up arms in an attempt to take the prison away from Rick and the others, leading to a stand-off and what may be an inevitable, bloody confrontation.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 December 2013, 11:17 PM.

Jaw. On. Floor.

I am incapable of functioning.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Jaw. On. Floor.

I am incapable of functioning.
      Yep! Know the feeling and I just got done watching for the third time!
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

That was terrible.

WTF have we been doing for the last three weeks? Evidently, nothing at all. There is no hope. There is no growth. There is no redemption. There is no tenuous peace. There's only pointless death, deconstructed characters, and for some reason ordinary people who are eager (and highly trained, from the looks of it) to go try and murder other people in their home because the New Guy told them it was in their best interest.

Oh, and pointlessly having kids and babies get eaten by walkers.

This episode demolished all emotional ties I have to this show, and after three and a half years of loyal viewing I'm not sure I want to come back in February. What a s### hour of nihilism.
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I'm not quite sure what to think of the events in this episode.

It was pretty obvious that the Governor was only attacking the prison out of revenge and that taking it over (for shelter/residency) was a secondary objective, yet he killed Hershel (sp?) rather than Michonne? I guess it's possible he really does understand about Penny now but I doubt he suddenly stopped hating her all of a sudden. Then again, perhaps he killed Hershel because he knew how much it would affect the prison group, what with both his daughters standing at the gates and Rick having a close bond with him. I mean, he did get what he wanted from decapitating him: the prison group opened fire which spurred the Governor's group on to return fire and attack, regardless of (innocent) human lives.

What I don't get is how the Governor's group blindly followed him, even if what he said at their camp [about the prison group being thieves and murderers] was true. He just tried to decapitate an unarmed, kneeling, one-legged, elderly man in front of them!!! Then, as if that wasn't enough he let him crawl away for a few feet and started bashing/chopping his head in until Hershel really was decapitated! That was overkill, even in a Zombie Apocalypse! But it seemed whiny Tara (that's the lesbian sister, right?) who has a big mouth and likes to fist-bump people but is actually scared of handling a firearm, was the only one who realized this! Well, maybe she and her sister (Lily?), considering the latter did land the killing blow on the Gov at the end, after he cold-heartedly put a bullet in her daughter's head.

Now, I sort of understand the Gov's psycho tendencies and need for revenge, but what the heck was the tank guy doing? He didn't go out there intent on killing people and I doubt he's all that loyal to the Gov considering the man killed his brother, but he bombards the prison with his tank thereby destroying the home he just said he wanted to overtake (to Rick, when he tried to reason with them) and attracting more biters/walkers! He could have just used the tank to overrun the fence, which was a necessity, and then used it to scare away the prison group while providing cover for his people - without destroying the walls of the prison!

And Rick... well, he's just about the worst negotiator ever! How about enlightening the Gov's group about his past actions, hm? Oh no, we'll just keep that to ourselves since the Gov said this wasn't about the past! What an idiot! I get that he possibly thought the others wouldn't believe him because there was no telling what lies the Gov had spread about the prison group, but it became clear that the Gov's people were starting to doubt their actions when Rick spoke to them directly and right before the Gov killed Hershel (to force the situation to escalate). All Rick would have had to say was: 'well, I don't know if I can trust you, Gov, because for all we know you'll use that tank to blow up the bus once we're all in it, seeing as how you killed your own people after failing to attack us once before!' Or at the very least point out that his group was welcome to join them (which they probably would have wanted) as long as the Gov himself left, considering he claimed his actions were to protect his group and help them survive. Or, you know, have someone from Woodbury (?) talk to them, to enlighten them about what the Gov did to his own people.

Also, Rick and co said they didn't have the manpower to stand up to them because of how many people they'd lost, yet that bus looked pretty full and Glenn (and maybe the woman/driver?) was the only one who looked sick/recovering! But I guess TPTB needed to get rid of the busload of unnamed people who had joined the original group after Woodbury and this was the best way they could think of... I wouldn't be surprised if Glenn and maybe some previously unnamed person will be the only ones of them we'll see again in the future.

The number of walkers who were attracted to the prison by the firefight/tank was manageable, so I'm not entirely sure why everyone still left at the end. Michonne was fighting fit and could have run around chopping off some heads while Darryl arrowed the rest! But no, we needed the group to split up in 4 or maybe 5 different groups! Unless Tyreese and the children (perhaps including Judith) haven't left the prison yet and meet up with Darryl, Michonne, Beth, Maggie and perhaps even the two 'enemy' sisters... then it's just them, Glenn/bus group and Rick&Carl.

Oh, and Carol is still out there somewhere too! The confrontation between Darryl and Rick about her was disappointing (Darryl was such a wuss) and if I'd been Darryl, I would've told Rick he could go (risk life and limb) and tell Tyreese about Carol himself, since he had also taken it upon himself to banish her! But no, they were going to do it together... Not that they ever got around to telling him after finding the dead/dissected rat and the subsequent attack on the prison. I wouldn't be surprised if Lizzie was responsible for the dead rat (who may be responsible for the disease's outbreak in turn since rats often carry diseases) and we later on learn she was also the one who killed Karen and David, and Carol was just covering for her. But by that time Tyreese has been taking care of the girls (or the other way around ) for so long that he loves them and can't find it in his heart to be angry with them over Karen, who he'd only been seeing for a little while anyway.

As for Judith: I'm in two minds about her fate. On one hand it makes sense to kill her off and do it off-screen (viewers don't like watching babies getting killed/eaten) because if they're all on the run they can't have a screaming baby with them. On the other hand, she may very well have been picked up by one of the others and taken with them, since the buckle of her seat was undone and no walker would do that. The blood on it could just be from whoever was carrying her; they got shot, couldn't carry the weight anymore and thus picked her up in their arms and made their way to the bus. Or, the girls took her with them and that's why they went the 'wrong' way, according to Tyreese. After all, there were no fat walkers (like with Lori) around and I doubt they'd carry the baby somewhere else to eat in private when there were others munching on other dead people. Also, no pieces of clothing/diaper or a left-behind limb from roughly grabbing the child and tearing her apart.

I think that was about it... didn't really care much for Megan (that's the girl, right?) dying, since she was a stupid child anyway and her mother was even worse. It obviously runs in the family. May be best not to continue polluting the gene pool with their stupidity and naivety!

EDIT:
          Oh and I forgot about Rick's whining when the Gov first materialized outside of the prison. Him being all whiny about there being a counsel now and him not being the person to make decisions for the group, blah blah, even though he'd just returned from a run where he banished Carol and left her out there to die without consulting the counsel! Laughable.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I had a problem with the girl playing in the mud because there are no washing machines. If you saw your kid playing in mud and knew you would have to wash her clothes by hand wouldn't you stop her?

Also the girl was almost eaten a day ago. That kid should have been in the trailer at least until the others got back. They are acting like they live in a world without millions of dead people that will eat them on sight.

I'm not sure why Lily was mad enough at the governor to shoot him. The girl would have died anyway since she likes playing in mud. If she was mad at him for attacking the prison is she going to gun down the rest because they are just as much to blame as the governor. The comics handled this much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
              I had a problem with the girl playing in the mud because there are no washing machines. If you saw your kid playing in mud and knew you would have to wash her clothes by hand wouldn't you stop her?

Also the girl was almost eaten a day ago. That kid should have been in the trailer at least until the others got back. They are acting like they live in a world without millions of dead people that will eat them on sight.

I'm not sure why Lily was mad enough at the governor to shoot him. The girl would have died anyway since she likes playing in mud. If she was mad at him for attacking the prison is she going to gun down the rest because they are just as much to blame as the governor. The comics handled this much better.
              No, I think she finally realized what "Brian" had done and that he wasn't the man he pretended to be. Before she met him they were safe albeit bored at their apartment, but after how he'd acted around them she thought he was a good and broken man. Probably fell in love and that's why she wanted to go with him. For some strange reason she thought they could all find some place safe to live that was apparently more exciting than their apartment or something, and he made her believe he could keep them safe. Then, he dragged them into this new camp that she had started to get used to before he suddenly rose to power after a few suspicious deaths and suddenly decided they had to leave there as well and take over the prison. She obviously didn't agree with his plans to attack and overtake the prison, knowing those people were only trying to survive like they were. But he insisted and left her and her daughter behind, claiming they would be safe there. Then, her idiotic daughter gets herself bitten and she immediately rushes over to the prison, probably hoping there's something he can do to help. Instead, he takes the kid from her arms without a word and puts a bullet in her head! Oh and this was right after she watched him chop off an old guy's head; she had probably seen (possibly even met) Hershel at the camp and foolishly assumed "Brian" would exchange the hostages for the prison, only to see Hershel lying there, dead (with his hands still bound most likely) and his head next to his body while "Brian" is hunched over him with blood all over his face...

In her mind, "Brian" was responsible for the useless deaths of everyone at the prison because he wanted to attack and she probably blamed him for her daughter's death too. She got to see his true nature at the prison (with Hershel and shooting the kid) and was probably disgusted by it, wondering how she could have fallen in love with him and trusted him with her child when he had clearly been manipulating them the entire time. If he'd really loved them or at least her daughter, then he would have shown some emotion/remorse and tried to comfort her instead of just grabbing the kid and shooting her without a second glance.

As for the kid playing in the mud: I don't understand why a girl her age would even want to play in the mud and pretend to be making peanut butter sandwiches or something. However, if she wanted to play there and get all dirty, then she could certainly clean her own clothes too! At least they were spared that since she's now dead...
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

No!!!! Hershel!!! I held out the slightest hope all this time that he'd beat the odds and survive the prison.

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                That was terrible.

WTF have we been doing for the last three weeks? Evidently, nothing at all. There is no hope. There is no growth. There is no redemption. There is no tenuous peace. There's only pointless death, deconstructed characters, and for some reason ordinary people who are eager (and highly trained, from the looks of it) to go try and murder other people in their home because the New Guy told them it was in their best interest.

Oh, and pointlessly having kids and babies get eaten by walkers.

This episode demolished all emotional ties I have to this show, and after three and a half years of loyal viewing I'm not sure I want to come back in February. What a s### hour of nihilism.
                Have you ever read the comics, Darren?

I understand the frustration that the past two episodes were essentially meaningless, but in the end the show stayed true to the comics and to who the Governor was. When they revealed the tank at the beginning of the episode before this, I knew it wasn't going to end well.

They certainly took liberties with the easy conversion of the camp and them being so willing to do the Governor's bidding, but a lot from the comics was condensed in this episode to get to the point that the episode ultimately ended at.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                What I don't get is how the Governor's group blindly followed him, even if what he said at their camp [about the prison group being thieves and murderers] was true. He just tried to decapitate an unarmed, kneeling, one-legged, elderly man in front of them!!! Then, as if that wasn't enough he let him crawl away for a few feet and started bashing/chopping his head in until Hershel really was decapitated! That was overkill, even in a Zombie Apocalypse! But it seemed whiny Tara (that's the lesbian sister, right?) who has a big mouth and likes to fist-bump people but is actually scared of handling a firearm, was the only one who realized this! Well, maybe she and her sister (Lily?), considering the latter did land the killing blow on the Gov at the end, after he cold-heartedly put a bullet in her daughter's head.
                I certainly agree that it was a stretch that these people were motivated enough to do this, but then again maybe it only took the Governor killing Martinez and Pete in the previous ep and blaming it on walkers was enough. Now Mitch in the tank, I could totally see doing this since he was more than willing to get his hand dirty in that last ep.

And Rick... well, he's just about the worst negotiator ever! How about enlightening the Gov's group about his past actions, hm?
                That was the only thing I didn't like about the episode. Rick should have spoken up and pointed out some things. I get that he was trying to keep things calm, but by now he should have known there was no reasoning with the man thus he needed to raise some doubt in his followers. Plus the fact that apparently none of the Governor's people ever requested to speak to Hershel or Michonne before the attack to see just what they had to say.

Not really been a fan of Rick so far this season, I really felt bad for him in the second episode of the season when all hell broke loose, but after that he's kinda let me down with his wishy-washy attitude about not wanting to take charge except to banish Carol who was willing to make tough decisions. Who, by the way, I believe we will see again now that everyone is scattered. Some one is bound to run across her again, possibly Rick and Carl considering Rick is in pretty bad shape at the end of this.

As for Judith: I'm in two minds about her fate. On one hand it makes sense to kill her off and do it off-screen (viewers don't like watching babies getting killed/eaten) because if they're all on the run they can't have a screaming baby with them. On the other hand, she may very well have been picked up by one of the others and taken with them, since the buckle of her seat was undone and no walker would do that.
                I think she is still alive. I was afraid they were going to end up killing Beth and Judith, but since Beth was still alive at the end of the ep, I'm thinking maybe she, Glenn, or one of the other children picked her up.

And way to go Lizzie! (The girl who shot what's-her-face's girlfriend and that other person to save Tyreese.) Carol taught her well.

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                But you have to remember the situation in the comics was much different. In the show, they had to come up with a different reason for her feeling betrayed. In the comics,
                Spoiler:
                the people had a different motivation for going to the prison. They saw them as a threat because of the way the Governor had manipulated them over time.

As far as Lilly is concerned, Lori still being alive when the prison was attacked played into Lily's motivation for killing the Governor. Lilly coming to the realization that she had just murdered a mother and child was why she felt betrayed.

I do like that they stayed with Lilly being the one to ultimately do him in in both the comics and show.

Is anyone going to mention the dissected rat Tyreese found! What an odd thing to throw into this episode. lol. When it was first revealed that someone was feeding rats to the walkers, I thought it was Bob because he seemed a bit shady, and I assumed he might have been in the prison as a spy for the Governor thus feeding the rats to draw in the walkers for some reason. But then after Lizzie got upset over Nick the walker being killed, I thought maybe it was her feeding them all this time. But now the dissected rat shows up. Lizzie is certainly not going to know how to dissect a rat like that. So now my focus shifts back to Bob because just what was he carrying in that box he had when he was talking to Sasha?
                Last edited by LoneStar1836; 06 December 2013, 10:36 AM.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

My only gripe with the episode was how easily the Governor convinced his crew to join in on a full-scale attack of the prison. The attack itself was well executed in terms of intensity and all-around craziness though.

I have read this part in the comics but as I recall
                  Spoiler:
                  The attack carried out there was with his Woodbury crew so that one made a lot more sense
                  sigpic

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! HERSCHEL!!! *cries* Seriously I feel so emotionally spent and cried so hard during the episode. I had to remind myself it's just a show...it's just a show.....Scott is not really dead.
                    I haven't even processed it yet SO I'll be back...

OH and Darren Take a few deep breaths. I hear you, but I think there is alot of redemption and I'd like to talk about it but my mind is racing too much right now. For instance if you watch The Talking Dead... Chris Hardwick asked Scott ....why did Herschel smile right before his death when the Governor had the Katana to his neck and Rick was speaking? And he said that it was what Rick was saying ...that really it was about taking a stand for humanity....that is what Rick was doing. He was realizing they have to FORGIVE and move on....that in order to make it in this apocalypse forgiveness has to be part of the equation and cooperation and working together despite their grievances. So while it does seem like pointless deaths, it's really setting out to show you that....you do what Herschel said...if you are going to die...then you die for something that matters. And I think that is why Herschel was smiling because he knew his death would be a great catalyst for all the prison folks to take that stand for humanity. No matter how much the odds are stacked against you. You have Rick with a pistol against a tank. And look they took out every one of the Governor's group!! That's AWESOME!! And you have to love how Carl and Rick reunited and their love/relationship is sort of the barometer for this show. When they are fighting and on the outs...it seems there is not much going on....so they grow numb and distant and they get vulnerable and then bad stuff happens to throw them back together again.... to make them realize just how important they are for one another...how important family is...how important that last shred of humanity is.
                    Besides I am holding out hope for Judith that someone picked her up (and just happened to have blood all over them) and got her to the bus. but we shall see.

Yeah .....sorry rambling on for someone who didn't want to post much

Hang in there guys....more later
                    Originally posted by jelgate
                    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

I didn't like last week's episode much, but I did like this one quite a bit, even though parts of it were really sad/messed up.

Overall, I thought it was a really good episode. I was expecting things to go bad at the prison. I didn't think that the Governor would decide to live with Rick and Michonne. Even if he really did want to change(and wasn't at the prison for payback), I don't think he would have been able to trust the group at the prison(especially Michonne) after what happened with Andrea.
                      Hershel's death was really sad, and I felt bad for the little girl, though I figured something would happen to her once "Brian" left for the prison.

Like others, I had an issue with how quickly/readily everyone just bought into The Governor's lies and went along with his plans for the prison. They really could have at least shown the people at the camp wanting to question Hershel and Michonne. I mean, Hershel didn't exactly look/act like a thieving murderer, so there should have been a bit more questioning regarding if what they were doing was the right thing. If not at the camp, then at least once they got to the prison and saw the people there and how "Brian" was acting. Rick could have tried to be a bit more persuasive as well, by bringing up more of what happened at Woodbury. At least he did mention it though, and he did mention that the people left in Woodbury came to live in the prison.

I hope Judith ends up alive. Going forward, I can see Tyreese and the girls(along with Judith) running into Carol. Since Tyreese doesn't know anything yet, they would all get along nicely. Rick would eventually meet up with them and be really grateful that Carol took care of his baby, and maybe decide not to tell Tyreese what he found out about Carol. He'll probably find out eventually though, and drama, and possibly attempted murder, will ensue.
                      sigpic

Comment

Bloody hell, what an episode! Really looking forward to part 2 of the season now... but poor Herschel...

So, we have to wait till February...

Comment

As for the kid playing in the mud: I don't understand why a girl her age would even want to play in the mud and pretend to be making peanut butter sandwiches or something. However, if she wanted to play there and get all dirty, then she could certainly clean her own clothes too! At least they were spared that since she's now dead...
                          Heck, when I was her age and younger, I played in the mud all the time. Made pies and tried to serve them to my brothers. One year my brothers and I went swimming in my mother's mud garden - yep we got into alot of trouble for that because it wasn't a mud garden when we started. We did get permission from her but somehow I don't think she thought that the garden would get tore up....and it was so much fun.

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell
                          Not necessarily. Kids still need to be kids and still need to play. The world is different now. They probably spend more of their time being dirty anyway. I am sure good water for washing and showers is in short supply. They were fortunate that they were near a river and they could clean clothes. After the girl was done playing, there is no reason why Mom couldn't have the daughter learn to start doing her own laundry. In this new world, kids are going to have to go back like they did 100 years ago and grow up fast learning how to do basic things like laundry at much earlier ages.

Given where they were and that zombie's could pop up anywhere....I wouldn't have had her playing so far away from me.

The way I saw Lily being mad enough to shoot the governor had to do more with the promises he made. He said he would protect them, keep them safe and he didn't. He left the camp, taking almost everyone else with him and the little girl died. It didn't matter to her that because she was too busy watching the zombie trying to cross the river and she wasn't paying attention to her daughter; the Governor lied to her and in her grief and anger, she shot him because he didn't protect them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                            Heck, when I was her age and younger, I played in the mud all the time. Made pies and tried to serve them to my brothers. One year my brothers and I went swimming in my mother's mud garden - yep we got into alot of trouble for that because it wasn't a mud garden when we started. We did get permission from her but somehow I don't think she thought that the garden would get tore up....and it was so much fun.
                            Are you seriously telling me you were still making imaginary mud pies when you were ten or eleven? At least, I assume that's how old the girl is supposed to be. She's about to hit her teens and she's still playing in the mud... I would have expected maybe a 4-6 year old to play like that, but at her age?

Also, like you said, kids in this post ZA world are going to have to grow up faster than pre-ZA kids, so she really shouldn't be playing in the mud but instead make herself useful. Or at least be smart enough to be on the lookout for walkers/biters, yet she got attacked twice in one week due to her own stupidity.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Are you seriously telling me you were still making imaginary mud pies when you were ten or eleven? At least, I assume that's how old the girl is supposed to be. She's about to hit her teens and she's still playing in the mud... I would have expected maybe a 4-6 year old to play like that, but at her age?
                              Humm, I was thinking she was younger than 10 probably because I didn't think she was acting like a 10 year old. I never made imaginary mud pies, I made real mud pies and tried to serve them, but you are right I was probably around 4 and 5. The girl was bored, there wasn't a lot of stuff for her to play with so I could see a girl her age playing with mud but I would have expected more complex mud playing stuff and not pies.
                              I lived out in the country and my brothers and I were out making all sorts of stuff out of things around the neighborhood, until about 10, I may not have been making mud pies but I was having mud fights, making huts, we had a huge dirt pile in the backyard and my brothers and I took full advantage of it growing up.

Originally posted by fems
                              Also, like you said, kids in this post ZA world are going to have to grow up faster than pre-ZA kids, so she really shouldn't be playing in the mud but instead make herself useful. Or at least be smart enough to be on the lookout for walkers/biters, yet she got attacked twice in one week due to her own stupidity.
                              I don't blame the girl...I blamed the adults who are still treating the kids like they lived before the zombie virus...it's up to the adults to guide the kids, to give them a foundation to live in this new world which means chores and learning to stay close, otherwise they run the risk of getting killed. That's why what Carol was doing/teaching with the kids was probably a good thing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X