Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The other people aboard Destiny...who were they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other people aboard Destiny...who were they?

So while rewatching this series (part of a long-running deal with my girlfriend to watch her shows for mine), I realized something I never thought of.

With the exception of the military, it seems like we never really see any background people running around on Destiny. In fact, the only time we see the extra people is when the situation calls for it...i.e., dialing home, forced to evacuate the ship through the gate, etc. Other than that, it seems like they are mostly confined to quarters, only useful as fodder.

Now, my question is, who are they, and why were they at Icarus? Surely everyone had a purpose/skill set that caught the eye of the Stargate program to warrant their inclusion in it...but once they reach Destiny, they seem to be little more than warm bodies to consume food and other supplies. I know Young and everyone said constantly that most people there were the wrong people for the mission, but...useless?

I don't know. Perhaps I'm reading too much into what is simply the limits of the show in regards to having extras performing busy work in the background. But when you have eighty people on a ship and only a dozen or so plus some military personnel are the only ones really do anything, it makes me wonder...
    sigpic

Yeah this bothers me too... these people weren't sight seers at the icarus base... they were doing some sort of work there... everyone of them had a skill set(mostly scientists of different fields related to the stargate)... they might be "wrong" people in the sense that they did not have "off world" experience but other than that there is nothing.

But do not worry about that as the writers make things up all the time in stargate saga...on one hand mckay is an astro physicist and a mechanical engineer but other than biology he seems to have a command of everything in the universe where his strength lies more in hacking alien computers and alien software(don't know how). So do not think too much about it... writers make things up all the time which make no sense...

Comment

Just like any mil installation they have to have back up staff. Admin stuff, supply clerks and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Just like any mil installation they have to have back up staff. Admin stuff, supply clerks and the like.
        True, and I meant to say that perhaps some of them were support staff. But such a large amount of civilian support staff? There were no civilian support staff at the SGC as far as I know, and I would think that that would be a much lower clearance level than Icarus. What I mean by this is that while the SGC would be a purely military affair and Icarus could have elements of both Homeworld (civilians and all) and SGC, I would still think it would be unlikely.

And for Mckay and his many talents, let's not forget Volker in SGU who went from astrophysicist to one of the weapons experts...Surely military extra number six could have done that.

I guess I'm nitpicking though.
        sigpic

Comment

army does not use many civilian support staff... all the chefs and the likes are army individuals...

Comment

They're support staff. I suspect that the writers had intentions of getting the civilians and the Icarus administration guys back home trough the Stargate at some point in the series in later seasons, while leaving the military personal onboard Destiny, including Rush and his science/tech team (Brody, Eli, etc.), Camile, Chloe and probably what remained of the LA group.

The rest would be returning home, with everyone else probably following the same route in the unmade and intended series finale.

Comment

That's an interesting question. It's funny how you don't really think about who they were and what they actually did. It's just taken for granted that they had some role in the running of the Icarus base.

Chloe was the only one who had nothing to do with the actual running of things at the base.

I guess the idea was that all these people who had a particular function in the running of the base with various research,technical and support services, being only a small part of the bigger picture are suddenly thrown into a situation where their roles become redundant. I guess they had so many civilian staff on Icarus because of IOA requirements. The Ninth Chevron project was a joint military and civilian venture as Atlantis was, only the SGC remained wholly a military run installation. This was the reason I think for having civilian cooks, etc as well as military ones.

What do you do with them on Destiny? This was the problem the show was going to address over time I guess, dealing with the "wrong people". It was useful I suppose that Becker the cook in the military ended up on Destiny, but there was nothing to stop any of the other civilians or military, an admin clerk on Icarus base for instance taking his place or assisting.

Anyone with a scientific mind and specialty can learn new things, they've got the mindset to start with so many would be learning new skills to run things on Destiny. Everyone can clean and learn to maintain stuff for everyday living like clothing. Botanists can teach others about plants and food to assist in growing and maintaining the food supply. TJ was already teaching Lt James and others in first aid to assist her.

I would think over time everyone, whether military or civilian, regardless of their original specialty would be involved in a particular aspect of keeping things going on Destiny for their survival and comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                I would think over time everyone, whether military or civilian, regardless of their original specialty would be involved in a particular aspect of keeping things going on Destiny for their survival and comfort.
                Good point. I have often thought about that. It would be necessary for everyone on Destiny to cross train. Things like upgrading their first aid skills, (I'm sure everyone would have been required to have a basic first aid course just to get off world) water filtration protocols, horticulture, and all the tech stuff necessary to keep her flying.

I would have liked to see more of that in future episodes. I imagined that Volker would have a new found interest working in the infirmary since he had his transplant. Imagine Rush gets injured and Volker is his nurse! Ha! I'd like to see Greer water plants and perhaps take up the culinary arts. I think the Colonel would find knitting relaxing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                  That's an interesting question. It's funny how you don't really think about who they were and what they actually did. It's just taken for granted that they had some role in the running of the Icarus base.

Chloe was the only one who had nothing to do with the actual running of things at the base.

I guess the idea was that all these people who had a particular function in the running of the base with various research,technical and support services, being only a small part of the bigger picture are suddenly thrown into a situation where their roles become redundant. I guess they had so many civilian staff on Icarus because of IOA requirements. The Ninth Chevron project was a joint military and civilian venture as Atlantis was, only the SGC remained wholly a military run installation. This was the reason I think for having civilian cooks, etc as well as military ones.

What do you do with them on Destiny? This was the problem the show was going to address over time I guess, dealing with the "wrong people". It was useful I suppose that Becker the cook in the military ended up on Destiny, but there was nothing to stop any of the other civilians or military, an admin clerk on Icarus base for instance taking his place or assisting.

Anyone with a scientific mind and specialty can learn new things, they've got the mindset to start with so many would be learning new skills to run things on Destiny. Everyone can clean and learn to maintain stuff for everyday living like clothing. Botanists can teach others about plants and food to assist in growing and maintaining the food supply. TJ was already teaching Lt James and others in first aid to assist her.

I was thinking this as well. At the very least they could participate in some away missions to help collect food or something...half a dozen people collecting stuff is obviously not a lot when they could have a few dozen off planet. Obviously it would be more difficult to coordinate but..

And yeah, have them help out in some way. From what we saw, they are just dead weight.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                    Good point. I have often thought about that. It would be necessary for everyone on Destiny to cross train. Things like upgrading their first aid skills, (I'm sure everyone would have been required to have a basic first aid course just to get off world) water filtration protocols, horticulture, and all the tech stuff necessary to keep her flying.

I would have liked to see more of that in future episodes. I imagined that Volker would have a new found interest working in the infirmary since he had his transplant. Imagine Rush gets injured and Volker is his nurse! Ha! I'd like to see Greer water plants and perhaps take up the culinary arts. I think the Colonel would find knitting relaxing.
                    LOL, imagine Volker looking after Rush, now that would be amusing. Greer would probably make a water gun to imagine he's attacking the plants just to make the job more interesting, he certainly enjoyed his time dealing with plants before and approach the job with the same crazed delight!

The Colonel knitting lol, that has conjured up a hilarious image in my mind. He'd be the one knitting all the socks and sweaters for Christmas presents! Although I be intrigued to know what they would end up using as a substitute for wool, can't imagine there'd be freaky alien sheep out there in the universe somewhere!

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                    I was thinking this as well. At the very least they could participate in some away missions to help collect food or something...half a dozen people collecting stuff is obviously not a lot when they could have a few dozen off planet. Obviously it would be more difficult to coordinate but..

And yeah, have them help out in some way. From what we saw, they are just dead weight.
                    That's the thing, that's why things are so hard and frustrating to start with as people adjust. Those people that already know stuff and can apply their knowledge straight away must be annoyed that there is so much 'dead weight' as you say. This would have no doubt continued for quite a while as people had to train others whilst still trying to do their job to keep things going on Destiny.

Then you have those who could be reluctant or just refuse to do certain jobs in the way the guy on the Faith planet did when having to dig latrines. Having the idea that everyone on Destiny would have to do the less desirable tasks would keep things fair. Also if they go really hungry or their clothes start wearing out and the bathing and toilet facilities break down then they would see the merit of pulling their weight.

It looks like they sorted themselves out as shown by the alternate life they ended up with on Novus. They would never have survived and created a civilisation like that if they didn't all pull together to build homes and grow food. Everyone became builders and farmers.

Comment

Working...
                    X