The Day of the Doctor (2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus185 View Post

On an aside, if the new series is gearing up to be 'the hunt for Galifrey' aka Star Trek: Voyager in reverse, does that mean they have dropped the whole Silence story thread?
    I think we'll be seeing a resolution to the Silence thread in the Christmas special. I think we already have some idea of how it will turn out: the Doctor somehow survives the Fall of the Eleventh at Trenzalore and the Twelfth Doctor (or Thirteenth depending on your point of view) goes off in search of Gallifrey. Of course, like with everything else in Doctor Who, it's all about how he survives Trenzalore and the Silence prophecy, and about how the next journey starts.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus185 View Post
      Regarding the whole guns thing, I think Doctor Who just picks up the general media trend of putting huge groups of people into little boxes.

e.g. Nurses : Good eggs only interested in helping people
      e.g. Bankers : Pure evil out to destroy people to get rich

In the case of the military its either (typical American view) heroic and good to the core, who sign up to protect humanity / the motherland

OR

(usual British portrayl) bit incompetant and thuggish who sign up because they are a bit slow and thuggish

Reality is of course all professions have a range of good and bad, smart and stupid people in them, with all manner of reasons for doing what they do, not least it puts a roof over their head.

But then showing this view would make for far less fun television & movies.

On an aside, if the new series is gearing up to be 'the hunt for Galifrey' aka Star Trek: Voyager in reverse, does that mean they have dropped the whole Silence story thread?
      I'dlve never known Doctor Who portray the military in any way like that so I don't know what episode you've got that from. The tenth Doctor treated the military with a certain level of contempt but that was part of his character. The portrayal of the military though I've found to be quite respectful. They come up with a military solution in the episode, which might not be the best response at the time but they still come across as honourable and wanting to do the right thing.
      Take the colonel from the sontarran stratagem. He was heavy handed but he was a man of honour who was trying to do his best in a hard situation.
      The Brigadier was pretty much the same. The Doctor generally treated him with contempt a lot of the time but The Brig is one of the best loved characters in the whole series.
      The Doctor at the end of the day is a scientist. Scientists and the military generally don't get in very well and that's what it portrays.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        I think we'll be seeing a resolution to the Silence thread in the Christmas special. I think we already have some idea of how it will turn out: the Doctor somehow survives the Fall of the Eleventh at Trenzalore and the Twelfth Doctor (or Thirteenth depending on your point of view) goes off in search of Gallifrey. Of course, like with everything else in Doctor Who, it's all about how he survives Trenzalore and the Silence prophecy, and about how the next journey starts.
        Spoiler:
        Moffatt has pretty much admitted, though I can't find the relevant quote, that Capaldi is the 13th face for the Doctor (albeit DT being two of them). So we may get THAT big question answered as well.

Am writing this watching DotD for the 4th time. Still getting misty-eyed in the gallery at the end. Do we think that Tom's appearance at the end of The Day of the Doctor the best cameo, ever?

Comment

Is the show watchable online yet? I missed the on air showing
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

It's available to Auusies via the ABC's online catch up service, but it'll be low def...

I thought it was on the BBC's online player?
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post

Am writing this watching DotD for the 4th time. Still getting misty-eyed in the gallery at the end. Do we think that Tom's appearance at the end of The Day of the Doctor the best cameo, ever?

Yep that end bit made me both jump for joy, and get misty
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                Spoiler:
                Moffatt has pretty much admitted, though I can't find the relevant quote, that Capaldi is the 13th face for the Doctor (albeit DT being two of them). So we may get THAT big question answered as well.

Those two scenes cements for me the status of on of the greatest ever Doctor Who stories for this special.

Spoiler:
                The Doctor has long future ahead of him with further regenerations available. Melody/River gave her remaining regenerations to bring back the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler. Taking another Time Lord's remaining regenerations is canon as both the Valeyard and the Master tried to take the Doctor's remaining regenerations in order to extend their lives. Not counting whatever plot device Moffatt or whichever future show runner comes up with to give the Doctor more regenerations.
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread but was Tom Baker The Moment as well? There was subtle similarities in the way he and Billy Piper acted, maybe just me getting all timey whimey with a 4th viewing.

WarDoctor stole the show though, that one simple line 'the pointing again, they're screwdrivers, what are you going to do assemble a cupboard at them' had me in stitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                    I haven't read the entire thread but was Tom Baker The Moment as well? There was subtle similarities in the way he and Billy Piper acted, maybe just me getting all timey whimey with a 4th viewing.
                    I think its up to the individual viewer to make up their minds as to who Tom was playing. I personally believe he was supposed to be playing a future incarnation of the Doctor that just has a face that resembles that of the 4th incarnation albeit looking like a much older man.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Edward Russell, Doctor Who Exec, tweeted that the Caretaker is exactly who he appears to be, a future incarnation of the Doctor who has chosen an older version of the fourth Doctor's face.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                        Edward Russell, Doctor Who Exec, tweeted that the Caretaker is exactly who he appears to be, a future incarnation of the Doctor who has chosen an older version of the fourth Doctor's face.
                        I've always liked that Edward Russell. Ol' Eddie and me...we're like...well if you could see I'm doing crossed fingers.

disclaimer: I in no way personally know Edward Russell and all above comments are said in fun.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

it was BRILLIANT!! But I need to watch again So much with the timey whimey
                          Originally posted by jelgate
                          This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Hey guys im new here so hello! (or old - actually had an active gateworld account back in the day when sg1 was still going!) Felt so strongly about the episode and actually recorded a video review with a friend to let out or feelings which id love you to watch but if not here are my thoughts…

• Good set up for the next season’s arc. The search for galifrey like a big adventure for lost treasure, should be fun?
                            • So why is Tom baker the curator of the museum? I know its really just a bit of fan service to have him show up but he talks about retiring to become the museums curator but obviously he regenerated when he was quite young? But he also hints that he knows about Matt Smith’s future and that he will be revisiting a few of his old faces again. Does that mean that he will end up as Tom Baker again one day? Im confused or just stupid.
                            • Either way the teaser for the Christmas special looks good. The silence are back, the best villain since the weeping angles. Very underused since their first great appearance. I was worried we wouldn’t get to see the trensalore stuff after last series finale but it’s a relief to see it back.
                            • Also I have a crazy theory that because they did some wibbly wobbly stuff with the timeline that John Hurt will actually regenerate into Peter Capaldi. Mainly because we didn’t see him turn into eccleston even when it cut to a close up of his regeneration. They could have easily morphed his face into an existing shot of eccleston if they wanted (we know he didn’t come back but it could have been done). I think the doctor will die at Trenzalore permanently since we have the dead tardis there and all. Capaldi will be an alternate 9 essentially following John Hurt.
                            • Finally the episode really sums up Moffats era of Who so far. Setting up big impossible things that sound great in concept but when we get to the resolution it never really turns out as fantastic as we expected. The impossible astronaut death, the name of the doctor. All of these questions were answered without really being answered and really it’s the journey that is the fun part, not the destination. However, at least with Russel t davis who we got very clear answers to the questions that were set up in the first or so episode of his seasons – arks like bad wolf and torchwood paid off without leaving people puzzled. Lets see if the Christmas special answers all the outstanding questions.

Comment

Hurt regenerates into Ecclestone (hence the joke about the ears as he does so).

Tom Baker is a very old, future Doctor, who has deliberately chosen one of the "old favourites" of his former faces, to live in during his retirement as a curator.

Comment

What's the point of a secret museum that no one will see? or the black archive? Why ban art?
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X