No announcement yet.

The Day of the Doctor (2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*giggles* Realy? In which episode was this? Must have missed it.
    That would be in The Power of Three.

I've finally had chance to sit down & watch this again in the comfort of my own home, rather than sitting in the ExCel and having a small child throwing up near by

Bloody hell, it's good. Second time around I managed to see all the little things that are nods to the past, ie the clock showing quarter past five when Clara zooms past on her motorbike.

John Hurt was superb and I absolutely loved the interaction between all the Doctors (Sand shoes and Grandad, LOL!)

There was much relief on my part as to the role that Rose took. I was on absolute tenterhooks all the way through my first viewing, worrying that Rose was coming back and there would be much angst and tearful reunions etc. Thank goodness she was a manifestation of The Moment and that only the War Doctor could see her! I can live with that.

As for the ending, I was in buckets of tears. Seeing Tom again was absolutely fantastic and I love, absolutely love the idea that he is the Doctor in the future using the fourth Doctor's face again, just because he likes it. (BTW did anyone read Summer Falls by Amelia Williams? That has The Curator as a Doctor-like hero.)

So I give it 10/10. Brilliant stuff.

Oh... does everyone now smile at the "Zygon statues" in the under-gallery?

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Oh... does everyone now smile at the "Zygon statues" in the under-gallery?
      I did. Since Steven cut the three Daleks scene.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        *shrugs*

I *am* one of those 'people with a gun' in reality. So... I'm probably biased.
        I'm not a person like you with a job in the military but I do like UNIT and its role in the Whoniverse and it is always a joy for me to see them appear to help the Doctor.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

But why isn't UNIT like the UNIT of old who? I get the impression they are played for comedy value in New Who
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            But why isn't UNIT like the UNIT of old who? I get the impression they are played for comedy value in New Who
            They are brave humans struggling to understand something that took the doctor centuries to deal with, next to him, they ARE incompetent.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

UNIT was only ever as competent as the story required them to be... Though yes, they were never quite just "a joke"... even if we did have scenes like poor Benton standing starkers in front of everyone wondering where his clothes went...

Despite the lack of true Classic Doctors... At this point in time, I'm still thinking very highly of this story...!

And yes! T'would be amazing to have Capaldi find and land on Gallifrey, pop out and walk into Romana and K9!
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                *shrugs*

I *am* one of those 'people with a gun' in reality. So... I'm probably biased.
                For what it's worth, the way that Who sneers at people with guns has always annoyed me. People with guns have saved lives too - set people free, stopped genocide, ended hostage situations and so on ... maybe not as many as Doctor Who but they're only working in one galaxy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                  For what it's worth, the way that Who sneers at people with guns has always annoyed me. People with guns have saved lives too - set people free, stopped genocide, ended hostage situations and so on ... maybe not as many as Doctor Who but they're only working in one galaxy.
                  The Doctor does not "sneer" at guns, he sneers at violence being our first resort, rather than our last.
                  sigpic

Comment

Off topic.

SERIOUSLY???

you time-locked Dr Who threads?????

What is wrong with you!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      The Doctor does not "sneer" at guns, he sneers at violence being our first resort, rather than our last.
                      The show's writers, not the Doctor. But I wasn't trying to pick a fight so I withdraw the statement.
                      sigpic

Comment

The show's writers, not the Doctor. But I wasn't trying to pick a fight so I withdraw the statement.
                        Don't withdraw it, it was a fair observation. I am not picking a fight either.
                        sigpic

Comment

Generally you're right. But I'd say the Tenth Doctor does, particularly when he was talking with Colonel Mace in The Sontaran Stratagem and asked him to not stand so close on the basis that he had a gun. Ten really was a bit of a hypocrite (understandable given what we know from his memories of The Day of the Doctor), but his other selves, including Eleven have had a much fairer attitude to guns and the military.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          I beg to differ, though in one or two eps they've been negatively or comedically portrayed (not happy with Capt Magumbo AT ALL), by and large they've been pretty good. They were (Magumbo aside) very effective in Planet of the Dead, shown to be effective (if ruthless) in Fragments (Torchwood) and notably were brilliant in Day of the Doctor. There was absolutely no incompetence, there was a very serious threat that they were no match for - but though Kate WAS about to pursue a very dangerous line of coercion, UNIT *had* still gained control of the situation. Just not in the most wonderful way possible. Like it or not, it was an effective defence. Combine that with effective repulsion of a Sontaran invasion force, and the constant cover ups and ability to clear up Sarah Jane or Torchwood's mess, and I'd say you have a highly competent force.

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                          I'm not a person like you with a job in the military but I do like UNIT and its role in the Whoniverse and it is always a joy for me to see them appear to help the Doctor.
                          Good to hear
                          Last edited by Flyboy; 27 November 2013, 03:44 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I miss the Brigadeeer the old UNIT
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Don't withdraw it, it was a fair observation. I am not picking a fight either.
                              Well, if anyone started this discussion it was me, and I didn't mean to pick a fight either. I was ratehr making an observation how much the opinon of people differ in this or ather matters. But as the debate is going on...

I know but I like to dream of a world where noone carries a gun (or any other kind of weapon), so there would be no need for any defence. And YES I do also know that this is possibly the greates utopi imaginable. So call me naive, if you like but that's why I'm not a fan of UNIT or any kind of military organisation neither in fiction nir in real life (Don't take this personal, Flyboy)
                              Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Regarding the whole guns thing, I think Doctor Who just picks up the general media trend of putting huge groups of people into little boxes.

e.g. Nurses : Good eggs only interested in helping people
                                e.g. Bankers : Pure evil out to destroy people to get rich

In the case of the military its either (typical American view) heroic and good to the core, who sign up to protect humanity / the motherland

OR

(usual British portrayl) bit incompetant and thuggish who sign up because they are a bit slow and thuggish

Reality is of course all professions have a range of good and bad, smart and stupid people in them, with all manner of reasons for doing what they do, not least it puts a roof over their head.

But then showing this view would make for far less fun television & movies.

On an aside, if the new series is gearing up to be 'the hunt for Galifrey' aka Star Trek: Voyager in reverse, does that mean they have dropped the whole Silence story thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X